just a couple of questions

Hydra

Why is a Thoth deck different from most other decks (it has cards such as...birds and fish....and chaos)

I use both arcanas for my celctic cross spread...but my books says to use only minor arcana...does it matter?

just one more thing, do you always have to use reversed cards, does it depend on the deck you use? Because I didint in the begining and it seemed to come out great, and now i am starting to, just wanted your imput:) thank you for your time

MareSaturni

The Thoth *tarot* deck has many unique things, but it depends on who is talking ;).
Anyway, one important thing is that it differs from RWS in structure and in some cards' names - and both Thoth and RWS are considered 'base' decks. Most decks either follow Thoth or RWS style. It's interesting that Crowley's and Waite's deck different, since they were both based on Golden Down tradition, just as Similia said below.

Hydra said:
I use both arcanas for my celctic cross spread...but my books says to use only minor arcana...does it matter?

Hum...yes, it does. Major cards are REALLY important ones, a reading without them isn't as good as one with them, imho. Want a friendly advice? Use both minor and major arcana...this thing of 'separating' them rarely works well. The cards were made to be used together, hence why we have a dack of 78 card, not a deck of 22 and another deck with 56. Just my opinion.

Hydra said:
just one more thing, do you always have to use reversed cards, does it depend on the deck you use? Because I didint in the begining and it seemed to come out great, and now i am starting to, just wanted your imput :)

Oh, the reversals question is very common here - search for reversals threads and you'll find loads. I personally don't work with them...i think they are confusing and simply don't do it for me. I like to see the cards upright, period. But some people use reversals and like them. It's a personal choice.
Some decks are made to be read with reversals, but that doesn't mean the have to. Any deck can use reversals, as any can use only upright position. Reversals is something personal...a method to work with.

You should try both - with reversals and without them. That's the best way to see what you really like/work better with and then...go for it :D

Hope i helped you, in a way or another. Feel free to ask more, my virtual door is always opened.
Welcome to AT, by the way...why you don't introduce yourself in the 'i'm new' forum so everyone can greet you nicely?

:TPW Yuko

Grigori

I'm confused Hydra. Do you mean Aleister Crowley's Thoth deck, or another one? (Crowley's Thoth doesn't have Birds, Fish or Chaos cards, that sounds more like an oracle to me...?? ) Crowley's cards are largely the same as RWS decks and most others, with only a few variations on names, structure etc.. The illustrations are very different than the RWS obviously but most mean something very similiar as they both are based on the Golden Dawn tarot tradition (mostly).

If your using Crowley's Thoth, then it is designed to not use reversals, so you would only need to use them if you really feel it is necessary for you personally. I'd recommend Duquette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot as a place to start understanding the deck. :)

You can do readings with only the majors or only the minors if you want, but usually people use the whole deck, so you do not need to leave the majors behind. What book are you using? It does not sound very helpful.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/aleister-crowley-thoth/index.shtml (this is the deck I mean :) )

Fulgour

Tarot Egyptien - Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames

I think this question is about the "Etteilla" deck:
The Book of Thoth or Livre de Thot

(Should not be confused with the "Etteilla" decks
known as The Gypsies or The Esoteric Ancient.)

PS: Remember that "Etteilla" only did the Gypsies,
and even that's kind of iffy when you research it.

Thirteen

Hydra said:
Why is a Thoth deck different from most other decks
Again, how do you mean different? In art? In meaning? In both? Generally speaking, there are three decks: Crowley's (known sometimes as Thoth), Rider-Waite and Marseilles. Almost all decks out there are based on one of these three (I say, "Almost" there are exceptions). So whatever deck you have is based on one of these "standard" three. MOST decks are based on Rider-Waite and differences in meaning will be seen if you've learned on a Rider deck and then switch to a deck that's based on Crowley.

If the deck you have is wildly different, then it might not be a tarot deck. Make sure it is a TAROT deck--there are all kinds of pretty decks out there that aren't.

my books says to use only minor arcana...does it matter?
It does matter, as said. Which books told you to do that? I've honestly never heard of doing the CC with just the minors. Frankly, if you're a beginner, you might want to try some different spreads before plunging into the Celtic Cross. It can be a confusing spread for beginners.

do you always have to use reversed cards
You can never use it, always use it, or use it some of the time. It's all up to you. There is a new deck, "Revelations" that pretty much requires that you use reversals as it's artwork involves reversed pictures. But other than that, few decks "always" need to use reversals.

Fulgour

Etteilla Express

Hydra said:
Favourite Tarot Decks: from what I own...
I like the book of thoth etteilla
Dear Thirteen (and others?) ~ just a note here on this.
(I think Crowley styled himself the reincarnation of Levi.)

Vadella

As stated before- The Thoth doesn't utilize reversals and has an extra card- unicursal hexagram. Some people choose to take this out of the deck. I would never do this as it was put in the deck for a reason. I haven't come across another deck yet that has this type of extra card.

Hydra

It does matter, as said. Which books told you to do that? I've honestly never heard of doing the CC with just the minors. Frankly, if you're a beginner, you might want to try some different spreads before plunging into the Celtic Cross. It can be a confusing spread for beginners.

QUOTE]

When I first started, I always used the cc spread, and it worked VERY well for me

Thirteen

Hydra said:
When I first started, I always used the cc spread, and it worked VERY well for me
I'm sure it did. But I teach Tarot, and do you know the one thing that I hear, over and over again from 90% of those students who tried to learn tarot previously? "I tired Tarot years ago--and was so frustrated with the CC that I gave it up!" Again, and again, and again, I hear this story. The Celtic Cross seems to be one of the major reasons for people putting those decks in drawers in tears and frustration and waiting years before they pick it up again.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the CC is a bad spread or that beginners can't learn it or even have success with it. There are those who, like you, manage to click with it and do well with it. What I take issue with is the fact that the CC is often the ONLY spread that beginners are given (at leasts by the Little White Book that comes with the deck)--and that's not right or fair. The CC isnt' going to click with every reader, beginner or no--and it's terribly misleading to make beginners think that it's the only spread out there and if they can't get it, well, they can't be tarot readers. And I'm afraid that IS the most common misconception--at least so far as my teaching experience goes.

Which is why I always recommend that people try other spreads first. No matter if you liked the CC as a beginner or not, there is no question that is it not and never has been a beginner spread. If beginners understand this, and see the wealth and breath of spreads out there, they can find one that makes tarot work for them. Maybe they will go for the CC afterwards--but they need to know that they don't have to start with it, master it or even use it to learn how to read tarot cards. It's not the only spread out there, it's not even the best spread out there. Use what works.