Keywords for the Crowley Tarot

LeahG

Hello fellow Acelectic addicts ;)

I just purchased "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot" by Hajo Banzhaf

I haven't read alot of it yet, but the flick through so far - I like it, similar to his other book "The Crowley handbook" but in a condensed version, with extra sections for meanings for each card as a card of the day. I like how it includes what the card encourages and what is warns against. Also for each card they have picked out the main symbols and explained them.

I will be using the book alot, particularly because it is alot easier to carry around with me, more of a quick reference type book.

What do others think of this book?

Love to you all

Minderwiz

I have The Crowley Tarot by Akron and Banzhaf and find that a very good guide to using the Thoth deck. I assume that as Banzhaf is involved in both there is a considerable amount of overlap.

However I'd certainly be interested in your comments and opinions as you go through.

Minderwiz

Liliana

Are you saying you have both? If so, which one actually describes the symbols on the cards better? Im looking for a Thoth book that covers Thoth symbolism to use with my Rohrig deck, since it has a number of the same symbols.

:THP

Lee

I have both books and I much prefer the "Keywords" one. The larger book has too much information. After reading everything about a card, I end up retaining none of it. But in "Keywords" the information is very accessible. Both books describe the symbolism, but, as I say, the "Keywords" does so in a way that allows me to absorb it better. "Keywords" also has some great spreads.

-- Lee

Keslynn

Another question: is this book better than the one by Angeles Arrien? Or would it be good to have both books? I'm hoping to start working with my Thoth sometime in the upcoming year, and I want a good book for it.

:TQS Kes

Lee

Banzhaf's and Arrien's books are completely different in approach. Banzhaf's follows the Thoth "mainstream," i.e. based on Crowley's writings about the deck contained in his "Book of Thoth." However, Banzhaf doesn't slavishly follow Crowley, he has his own ideas about things too. But it's still heavily influenced by Crowley's ideas about spirituality, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

Arrien, however, completely ignores Crowley and takes a more modern, self-empowerment, self-help kind of approach. She interprets the cards based on what she sees when she looks at the images, without any reference to Crowley at all.

People tend to fall in one camp or the other, and both camps view each other with distrust.

Personally, I think both approaches are valid, and there's lots of valuable stuff in both authors' books. I guess it depends on which approach more closely aligns with your own. If you're really into the Thoth deck, you might want to read both.

-- Lee

Keslynn

Thanks, Lee! I really appreciate your concise commentaries.

:TQS Kes

LeahG

Liliana said:
Are you saying you have both? If so, which one actually describes the symbols on the cards better? Im looking for a Thoth book that covers Thoth symbolism to use with my Rohrig deck, since it has a number of the same symbols.

:THP

Hi Lilana,

Yes, I have both books. If you are looking for a book that covers the symbolism then I would try the 'Keywords" first. As some of the others have mentioned the Handbook has alot of information, it can be overwhelming at times. I think both books are excellent. Reading the "Keywords" helps to give me a starting point for what the card means to the question I have asked, allows me to think for myself. The "handbook" is great when you feel like having a good indepth read about a certain card.

Hope that helps :)

LeahG

Lee said:
I "Keywords" also has some great spreads.

-- Lee

Have you tried "The Door" spread? I had a go last night, interesting, I really like it, I can visualise the door!

But what was interesting was the differences in the cards in position 8- what is actually behind the door and position 10- what happens when I open the door.

Be interested in your comments if you have used this spread. Might have to move the comments to another forum?

Thank you

Lee

Yes, that's actually the one I had in mind when I said great spreads. Great minds think alike! :)

-- Lee