Kitchen Witch Deck

Tk2dsky

Ok here is one of my pictures for a kitchen witch deck. I am playing around with borders...so nothing is definitive. I am trying to keep some of RWS symbolism....but will add info about aspects of kitchen witchery in the book.

This particular card will discuss divination by reading coffee grounds.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/tk2dsky/Thehighpriesess912.jpg

It's a beginning, so please be kind :)

B*B
Ericka

Tk2dsky

Here are links to the other pictures I have done...no borders added yet...these are just the pictures....some of them will be totally redone. Right now I am in just the creative flow of drawing them:

here's a collection of pictures:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/tk2dsky/group1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/tk2dsky/group2.jpg

The Fool
book will include the jump into kitchen witchery

The Magician
book will include a section on kitchen witches use of all the elements

The High Priestess
book will include coffee reading

The Empress
Book will include gardening as part of kitchen witchery

The Emperor
not sure what to include yet in book

Tradition
Recipe for soy tacos...and breaking tradition

The Lovers
love spell and recipe for choc. covered strawberries

The Chariot
astral travel

Strength
chamomile tea and other herb uses

The Hermit
setting up sacred space

The Wheel of Fortune
life is like a box of chocolates....recipe for truffles to make life sweeter

These are some preliminary ideas.
Ericka

Chronata

oh wow!
What a great deck!

The ideas are so good...and your illustrations are so much fun!

The colors and expressions on the faces are really nicely done. Your art has a wonderful playful whimsical quality to it that I am very attracted to!

It is so easy to relate to the images and instances that you are using...and the combination of the RWS with kitchen witchery is genius!

I think the border you are showing in the High Priestess is pretty good. It is subtle and yet holds in the image nicely. I am really big on understated borders...and this one certainly is. I would like it to be not quite so stark black, though...maybe a dark rich brown color...to go with the earthy theme of the deck?

I also really love the practical ideas you have for exploring Kitchen Witchery in each card.

Maybe for the Emperor you can talk about concious consumption? Deliberate chewing and awareness of the food that is eaten. it would fit the image nicely, and speaks of self control, which I think is a very Emperor concept!

I can't wait to see more! you are off to such an excellent start with these!

rachelcat

I'm pretty sure I can say I've never seen Strength pouring tea for her lion before!!! Great idea! And a chocolate Wheel of Fortune! You never know what you're going to get. Very smart!

FantasyWorld

Love it!!!
Really like your idea of The Hermit and The Chariot.

Tk2dsky

Opinions needed

I have tried a couple of things with this concept....

first of all a different border but same whimsical pictures
#1: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/tk2dsky/scan0014.jpg

then I tried a completely different art style:

#2: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/tk2dsky/scan0013.jpg

Do you like the original art style better (#1) and do you like the border or is having a simpler border better, I was even contemplating just a wavy black line for a border,.....or..... is #2 art style better....would #2 be better with color....or is black and white good?

some help before I continue on.

Thanks,
Ericka

Chronata

I can definitely say..that although normally I don't like large borders...this one is a winner! It sets the tone and theme very nicely, and frames the art without taking anything away from it.

And while the second artwork is good...I really prefer the first ones!
It's not just about the color...I think the original artwork has a simpler..."less is more " quality to it. just enough of the right symbolism to carry the theme well.

M-Press

Hi Tk2dsky!
I really like your painting!
they have a raw/childish quality in them that comes out as very truthful, straight from "the gut" ! I also love your concepts... (can I have a piece of teh Wheel of fortune, please???)

Not sure about the borders/titles yet...
the first one in the top of the thread, I absolutely don't like... it frames your free art and outs it into a jail...

from the two later ones I prefer the first one. It goes with your style better, but then, what will you do with the text?
And I think you might want to explore more.... Maybe a simpler border> maybe write the titles by hand, so there is a unity in the style?

it is very hard to preserve a raw quality sometimes and make it look professional as well... In anyway, I think that your tries are fantastic, and I'm sure that each step will take you further and further!

Good Luck!

Kissa

wow! great cards!!!!

i like the high priestess with the big borders as shown in your last message.

i absolutely love the second card in black and white. i love b&w decks.

can i throw a suggestion? your kitchen witch deck majors are perfect the way they are (go for the big whimsical borders!), when you're finished with it, what about a b&w deck?? your artwork is really good, i'm impressed.

kissa

Citrin

Fantastic! :D What a great idea you got there. And it's really original... I love it!

The border looks really good btw.