Le Tarot Noir

Luna's Crone

does this deck and book only come in french? cuz then I would just need the deck if the book is french. Past my days of tranlating french, but still do spanish occasionallly.

Michellehihi

does this deck and book only come in french? cuz then I would just need the deck if the book is french. Past my days of tranlating french, but still do spanish occasionallly.

I think it's just in French.

AnemoneRosie

It's only in French, and it comes in a box set together.
It's a very informative book, though! Each Major has an essay about its role in medieval society. I really liked reading it.

Luna's Crone

well i do want the deck, and who knows when/if i get it, i just may look thru the book since it would be there anyway.

baconwaffles

well i do want the deck, and who knows when/if i get it, i just may look thru the book since it would be there anyway.

The book and deck are definitely worth it. It is beautiful!

decan

I hesitated in the past concerning this deck, because it looks great. But I found the minor arcana a bit bleak, not as strong as the major cards, and the deck is as well big, it must be hard to shuffle the cards.
Apart from that I love the style in the major arcana, strong and elegant.

Philistine

I hesitated in the past concerning this deck, because it looks great. But I found the minor arcana a bit bleak, not as strong as the major cards, and the deck is as well big, it must be hard to shuffle the cards.
Apart from that I love the style in the major arcana, strong and elegant.

Well, it *is* a TdM-style deck :p. I love the minors. They really carry the theme while at the same time showing us what TdM non-scenic pips are capable of. Just look at that two of cups, or two of coins, and is it the ten of cups with the "fleur du mal" growing out of the tipped over cup? The courts are astonishing: decayed royalty, weary and half-ghosts already.

Shuffling it is a grand PITA. But I like that about this deck. It's a monumental deck that commands effort to handle it.

The book is very rewarding to translate. Tying the tradition back in with Medieval social/cultural context is a refreshing bit of 101.

decan

Yes, you are right Philistine, it's a Tarot de Marseille style deck :)

Luna's Crone

Yes, you are right Philistine, it's a Tarot de Marseille style deck :)

HA! just found out what TdM means. kinda thought so but the t and m being caps thru me off

velvetina

Le Tarot Noir is one of my main reading decks (the other 2 being the Thoth and the RWS). I always prefer to have some version of the TdM to hand for readings and once this gorgeous wonder came into my possession, it's almost always the one I choose.

My French is ok for basic conversation and I've never read the book. I do however have a French friend and might persuade her to read it to me & translate at the same time!

Finally, I get the client to select cards from the deck after spreading out in a fan. Shuffling with the Thoth, it isn't that much difficult and it doesn't bother me. However I can appreciate my clients might find it too unwieldy.

I LOVE Le Tarot Noir!