Learning Lenormand by Katz & Goodwin

DownUnderNZer

Im still curious about this book.

Im hoping it is less confusing that Steinbach's and more hands on with things like: Past Life Connections and into the next life plus the Grand Tableux, Astrology more in depth, better explainations on pairs etc etc etc. How different approaches work.

I was fortunate to have two German women teach me the GT, so I dont think the internet beats something like that for learning it tradionally or generation to generation.

SixDegrees

Im hoping it is less confusing that Steinbach's and more hands on with things like: Past Life Connections and into the next life plus the Grand Tableux, Astrology more in depth, better explainations on pairs etc etc etc. How different approaches work.

There is a normal amount of stuff on the GT and pairing, but nothing that I found on past life connections or astrological connections (at least in a developed or systematic sense).

Ronia

I was fortunate to have two German women teach me the GT, so I dont think the internet beats something like that for learning it tradionally or generation to generation.

Well, I'm a generational reader of Lenormand and I've seen it all on the web already. Especially if a person uses European websites, even if it takes an online translate service. Besides, Lenormand is not about past life connections or astrology, IMHO. In a traditional way it's a very straight forward everyday oracle.

beekie

I just received my copy yesterday. I haven't read it in order yet, so far just thumbing through. But I really like it. The exercises make me look at the cards in a whole new way when trying to piece the message together. I did notice some inconsistencies, but perhaps it was deliberate as to help you keep an open mind. I will post more the more I read, but I like it for the most part.

tarot heart

Learining Lenormand book by Katz and Goodwin

I have had this book for a few days now and I'm afraid I must agree with everything
SixDegrees said above. She gave it a very fair review and it's not pretty. :(

The book seems to have had no editor whatsoever and it desperately needs one.
Honestly, the book reads like a class that was recorded and then copied down on paper, it's that bad.

The contents of the material is confusing as SixDegrees already mentioned. But, over and above that, it's a poorly conceived attempt at teaching lenormand style cards. No one will ever learn the cards as a beginner with this book. Perhaps they rushed into it so they could grab the sales as one of the first english books available? That's what it seems like to me. I was really looking forward to this book and now...

This is definitely a purchase I regret. I will have to send it back on my own dime. :(

starlightexp

And one would think by reading the amazon reviews that it's the best book ever written about anything ever... I hope that some here will post up reviews so that there is a fair amount of people giving their opinions on the book

Le Fanu

I have had this book for a few days now and I'm afraid I must agree with everything
SixDegrees said above. She gave it a very fair review and it's not pretty. :(

The book seems to have had no editor whatsoever and it desperately needs one.
Honestly, the book reads like a class that was recorded and then copied down on paper, it's that bad.

The contents of the material is confusing as SixDegrees already mentioned. But, over and above that, it's a poorly conceived attempt at teaching lenormand style cards. No one will ever learn the cards as a beginner with this book. Perhaps they rushed into it so they could grab the sales as one of the first english books available? That's what it seems like to me. I was really looking forward to this book and now...
I agree too. It's confusing and unedited. I had such high hopes of this book. I really thought it would make a difference to my Learning of Lenormand. Where did all those gushy reviews on amazon come from? It really makes me question what goes through someone's mind when they conclude "yes... this book is ready to be published. I am proud of it." I really didn't want to be negative about it but I have read it cover to cover and do not feel it has improved my knowledge of Lenormand at all. I had to make a stand and refuse to be confused.

If a beginner tried to learn with this book they would probably never touch Lenormand cards again.

shadowdancer

Mmm, sounds like this was a little rushed, and attempting to be ahead in the race to publish literature in English, on a deck that is growing in popularity.

I had read through the available 'search inside' pages on amazon and decided to pass. It did sound confusing and I was wondering if it was trying to be too clever and too complex, running the risk of losing people at 'hello'. What is attracting me to learn this system is the fact it has a solid basis that is standardised, give or take a little. I don't want to read a book in my learning that takes me off into Lalaland due to the author trying to make out it is something it is not - just because they think it could be. (If that makes sense). Tarot has been stretched to bits and it can take it because it has the ability for flexibility. Why force excessive flexibility into Lenormand? But of course, repeating or re-defining what is already out there will not necessarily cause it to sell. :(

And this did really add to why I raised the question on this forum about where Lenormand may be heading. Will it be a bandwagon that is jumped on with glee, with writers publishing books as quickly as possible to get ahead of the game, creating so many different takes, systems etc it takes it away from its grass roots.

garmonbozia

Sad news to hear, but better for my wallet! I was looking forward to some new English Lenormand books, but am not keen to hear there is a lot of....(well, I don't think I can say it better than shadowdancer).....Lalaland, in this book.

The fact that Lenormand has a standard system (or a few different ones to pick from rather) and that the meanings of the cards do not change from one artist to another, are the two biggest things that drew me to Lenormand. I put my tarot education on hold because I got frustrated and fed-up with all the ridiculous "Lalaland-ness" out there, and the seemingly infitinite amount of inconsistency and contradiction in reading styles.

Hopefully the next book release will be less muddled.