Lenormand... what's it all about?

Rhinemaiden

Lenormands - particularly the new creations by Melissa (Melissa and Postmark), Starlight (Pixie and Dia de Los Muertos), Chronata (Minute) - are fun! They're eye candy, they lend themselves to varied readings from simple (single card daily draw) to complex (36 card tableau), the cards are generally smaller in size than a tarot deck. I love having them in my collection. :heart:

Le Fanu

Perhaps this is a personal preference so how about which Lenormand is an absolute keeper in your collection if you were to only own one? (or maybe two? LOL!)
Weirdly, for all my love of the gimmicky decks out there and the fact that ever-more wonderful Lenormand decks are released each week, in answer to this question, I'd say the French Cartomancy deck. It's timeless, pretty, lovely to shuffle, easy to read. And if you're a beginner and not sure if Lenormand is for you, it's easily available and relatively cheap.

Juliana

Hi, I wanted to bump this thread because I'm interested to see more input from people about what Lenormand deck is nice for a first time reader to learn with.

Perhaps this is a personal preference so how about which Lenormand is an absolute keeper in your collection if you were to only own one? (or maybe two? LOL!)

I'm just getting started with Lenormand, so take this with a grain of salt. With Tarot, there are so very many symbols on the card meant to portray meaning as well as astrological, elemental, numerological, and other associations. I love having a wide array of tarot decks for that reason. But with Lenormand, that one symbol (the tree, or the key, or the clover, etc.) is meant to be the one symbol, along with the "playing card" association. Because of that, I find that I really appreciate very simple Lenormand decks. I have the French Cartomancy deck and it is simple enough. Since I'm just beginning, I really have been avoiding decks that have any sort of extra stuff. The simpler, the better. Maybe my tastes will change when I really get it down, but for now I think just one or two very simple decks will do.

Nina*

Postmark is as simple as any of the old ones. But much more beautiful.

Cerulean

For learning, I used the "French Cartomancy" pattern with rhymes

and playing card inserts, but have since switched from the "French Cartomancy" (Dondorf pattern) to an older set with the playing card inserts.

I have enjoyed looking at related cartomancy and so-called Lenormand style decks -- say 1840s-1870s and sometimes read with them. The ones with rhymes to me have a flavor of children's games or parlour fashion cartomancy...good to learn and a bit lighter in feeling for me.

But I guess it depends on what week it is...sometimes a rhyme or two cheers the heart!

Cerulean

ladybird

I truly appreciate everyone's input! There are so many choices and all are beautiful. No wonder you can't pick just one, just like tarot, go figure! :)

I'm really attracted to Pixie's Astounding Lenormand with the RWS symbols and character! I keep going back to this one so it must be the One. I noticed it on ebay several weeks ago, hollywoodkat2004 had the first edition on "buy it now" for $95 and someone bought it. During that time she had a Pam B second edition on for $65 BIN that was picked up too! I thought for those prices I probably wouldn't own a copy anytime soon, at least prior to my winning the lotto. ;) However, I was just browsing ebay again for Lenormands and there was a Pixie Pam B edition listed for $22.00 BIN, so I grabbed it. I think it was Starlightexp, isn't he/she the one who created the deck? This is super cool and the price was super nice too!

I imagine since most of you couldn't pick just one I'll end up purchasing another eventually. :p

Perhaps I'll also pick up the Postcard Lenormand as well, they are so handsome! Since it has the number and the suit on it. That way I get a bit of the traditional aspect on the card. Then again, I'm looking at the French Cartomancy and enjoying the historical look of it! And since it's easily accessible and inexpensive. What do you all think about that orange boxed Gypsy card deck? This one reminds me of when I was a tween beginning to "read" my regular ole' playing card deck.

Oh and Les Vieux Jours is alluring, I like the Mystical Lenormand too, and the Alice in Wonderland....

Oooooop, down the rabbit hole I gooooooooo.
;)

Cerulean

A house of cards...and Alice in a flight of cards

Welcome to the other side of the Looking Glass!

The Queen of Hearts might be your best bet...

8)

Sounds like a true card fan and the Gypsy Witch is fascinating, it has 52 cards assigned...historical, but don't know about it much before the 1900s.

Cerulean

DownwardSpiral

The French Cartomancy was my first deck as I loved the look but I had also bought the Mystical Lenormand and read with it. I got used to not having the playing card inserts and then trying to read with the French Cartomancy...I found the inserts distracting.( I don't use the playing card meanings anyway) Then I bought the Art Nouveau and put my other decks away. I haven't looked at some of the newer decks members here have created.