Light Grey Art Lab's Cosmos Tarot and Oracle Set

Le Fanu

I really like the look of this, but heavy box ---> expensive shipping, missing cards, narrower replacements -. and I'm really having to rethink this. Anyone order from Europe? Is the postage really $21 ?

Could someone post a picture of the ugly Temperance card so we can see what we're dealing with? :D This might be the dealbreaker...

Winterchild

I really like the look of this, but heavy box ---> expensive shipping, missing cards, narrower replacements -. and I'm really having to rethink this. Anyone order from Europe? Is the postage really $21 ?

Could someone post a picture of the ugly Temperance card so we can see what we're dealing with? :D This might be the dealbreaker...

There are a couple of videos on Youtube Lefy.... ..here is one for starters that shows every card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VQeLZFKTo

I recommend watching before you commit... personally I find it hard to unite a deck when the art is so disparate. Some cards are FUGLY... Temperance definitely is one of them.

On the plus side, I am not sure if the box will be so heavy as the deck when stacked looks fairly thin...and I like the gilding and foil highlights!

Postage to NZ was/would have been 21 USD, but as I said earlier, I wimped out and got a refund...

Go well

Winter

madhatter00o

I had preordered this deck, and it was at my door in Japan about a week after it became widely available.

I've been keeping up with this thread since the beginning (in fact, I learned about the Cosmos Tarot here), but I've not felt the need to comment until now. With all the complaints - some valid (the missing/narrow cards) and some plain ridiculous (why is everyone so bothered by Temperance? Like, *no one* usually cares *that much* about Temperance) - I at least wanted to give my input.

Note: I'll edit this later with a picture of Temperance.

Regarding the fact that this is a "collaboration deck" (i.e., that it is the product of several artists), I do not feel that it lessens the quality of the deck or it's cohesiveness. All of the images are printed with saturated colours and foil gold-stamped constellations; these aspects produce a great sense of cohesion across the various images. Whether the illistrations feature light colours or dark ones, there is contrast in each image and it is this contrast that also helps to build a sense of unity while still allowing each artist to express bis/her individual style. Granted, the artistic styles of some images aren't the type I usually enjoy, but I can appreciate the creativity and skill of the artists and his/her interpretation of the story and/or constellation of the card.

This brings me to Temperance.... I mean, really, guys? I know that it's a little strange, but (for those of you who have the deck) did you even read the accompanying explanation book? For those of you who don't have the deck, have been considering it and are vascilating, and/or have just stumbled on this thread and are wondering what the deal is with Temperance, Pictor (the representative constellation for Temperance) had meant either "easel" or "donkey." The book says:

The constellation Pictor is known as the easel of the heavens, but was originally labeled "Equuleus Pictor," a word that means "ass," "small horse," or "easel." An easel is an essential but under a appreciated tool of an artist, and represents potential and process. The pack animal and easel both perform a similar service: they provide assistance in supporting precious cargo...
(p. 46)

So if the weird, white rectangle with a line (or a paintbrush mark) and horses/donkeys were alarming, maybe you can see the value of them. And even if the artwork isn't to your tastes (it certainly isn't to mine... and maybe some of you k ow how persnickety I can be about artwork), it doesn't mean you won't be able to learn important messages from the card.

Indeed, I think one of the strongest draws of the Cosmos Tarot (and Oracle*) is that it aligns the themes of the constellations' myths with the impressions, messages, and stories told in the tarot cards. Granted, these are not always conventional meaning, but I appreciate this kind of loose adherence to traditional RWS meanings, anyways. (It does no good to dwell in dogmatism.)

For example, Death is represented by Caelum, the chisel, and the guidebook notes that, like carving stone or wood, one must break down and take away in order to transform the mundane into a work of art. It's this kind of elegant pairing of constellation and card (and image, which features the bust of a classical deity or hero stabbed by the chisel) that proved to me, anyways, that a lot of thought, effort, and time was put into the Cosmos Tarot.

The one disappointment I felt when I initially went through the deck was that the image for Gemini, my astrological constellation, is horrendous. It's like two giants viewed from a rear three-quarter angle, giving you a great view of one of the twin's hairy back. Siiiigh. Oh well. There are plenty of other images in the deck, and I doubt I'll be drawing the Sun (Gemini) for myself anytime soon, anyways.

* Actually, this is my only oracle deck, but I'm absolutely thrilled with its logic. I never intended to own any oracle decks, but I couldn't help that the Cosmos Oracle came in the set. I read the explanation book (the Oracle cards appear first, and I was just going through it in sequential order) and absolutely adored the marriage of science and intuition. I'm actually pretty sure I want to use this Oracle deck in regular practice.

earthair

I ordered at the start of November, and gave them an e-mail on 25 November to check. Got a reply on the 26th that their shipment was passing customs right then and should reach them the week after (which should have been last week or so?).

So...I'm not sure what's the status either.

Thanks for the heads up :)

After some consideration and reading through this thread, I cancelled my order and got a refund this morning.

They responded to me saying that the decks were still going through customs and would be arriving any day now and all orders would be shipped out together if that helps anyone :)

Aw don't let the production teething problems put you off!
Despite getting a wonky deck with no book, I still think the cards look and feel amazing and I can't wait for my replacement deck so I can finally use them :cool2:
Hopefully the production quality of the new batch will be up to the standard of the artwork.

Yup, postage was fairly expensive but that seems to be the going rate for 1st class tracked.

Waldorff

I'm also tempted by this deck but being put off by the shipping price, the constellations theme is really appealing to me.

The funny thing is 3 weeks ago I had an idea for illustrating some constellations then I thought they would be quite good as a Major Arcana using Behenian Stars/Fixed Stars from them assigned correctly, and swapping out the cards with planetary attributions for other relevant Fixed Stars; I've spent quite a lot of time on that and joined the forum yesterday to discuss it but looks like this deck may have been beaten me to it...

Damn synchronicity :)

Edit: Found an image of the Temperance card, not that keen on it either but all the cards seem to work well together in a spread aesthetically.
http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...d34eb/1445543528560/pictor-01.jpg?format=300w

devilkitty

Arrived today. The art and cardstock is quite nice (I particularly like Lynx as King of Air).

But (there's always a "but", right?)...

Twenty-eight cards of the tarot pack (9-K of Air, all the trumps) are about 1mm wider than the rest.The oracle is fine.

Looks like I'll have to email them again.

Abyss

Just ordered. I had some fears that it might be too much for me to handle, especially with all the different art styles, but if nothing else - it looks fab. Even if I can't use it 100% as a deck, it's still a lovely assortment of artwork. Can't wait for it to get here.

Tippyjane

My copy arrived today - no problems with wonky cards at all. I have to say the box is quite difficult to open, but once opened both decks are gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of collaborative decks but these decks work. The artwork is amazing and the cardstock is very nice. I impulsively bought this set and I'm glad I did. Such fun to look at and hold.

skyfiery

I just received mine today, and keeping in mind the comments on how hard the lid was to pry off, I decided to slide a thin metal ruler in-between the lid and the bottom and jiggle it gently.

Got it off in a few seconds without things flying everywhere. Lol.

gregory

Mine arrived with one of those sinister stickers "found damaged and secured by Royal Mail." Was there anything in anyone else's package other than the box with the decks in ? (Which I haven't yet had time to open up, even :bugeyed:)