Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

baba-prague

Tom, if you are making changes please will you consider changing his expression? As I say, I think ideally he should look more meditative and enlightened (okay, I know he doesn't particularly look like this on some of the original cards) but it would help to convey the real meaning. Just a suggestion though - it's up to you of course.

Diana

Tom: I like his expression.

But re the Noblet deck... are we sure those are hands? Perhaps they are feathers. Perhaps this guy is ready to fly away....

firemaiden: Perhaps you could sing opera at night, and I could shout in the day?

Imagemaker

After you've seen the Noblet version let me know if you still feel his hands shouldn't be showing.

Ick, the Noblet version is freaky to me--the fingers are lifeless flaps and are drawn just like the hair clumps . . . an authentic sample of poor imagery to my mind.

At least your guy's fingers have fingernails!

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
As I say, I think ideally he should look more meditative and enlightened (okay, I know he doesn't particularly look like this on some of the original cards) but it would help to convey the real meaning.

Karen, Thanks for this, I couldn't let it pass by. What is the real meaning?

Here's a link to what I've said about this card on the 78 Weeks of Study Thread. I would strongly recommend to any artist creating a tarot deck to combine the creation process with the learning process and thus to include study as part of their work. :)

I think the meaning of The Hanged Man is much more about perception than sacrifice.

My version of The Hanged Man is waggling his fingers and sticking out his toungue pulling faces to make fun of the observer. :laugh:

I've changed his hair colour to brown which I think makes a great improvement. Have a look at Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles website and let me know what you think. :)

Oh! Bob! I can get my hands up there. ;) I'll see about having a photo taken. :laugh:

baba-prague

Major Tom said:
Karen, Thanks for this, I couldn't let it pass by. What is the real meaning?

Well, the thread seems to have covered it really. The meaning of the Hanged Man IS often misunderstood though. I have heard someone in a reading say confidently "This card is about death and being hanged" (honestly). What I mean is that the very beatific expression sometimes seen on this card helps to convey the fact that it is NOT (at least nowadays - I'm aware of all the historical argument about its possible origin as "the traitor") about a tragic hanging. If you want this tarot to be a good starter deck to help people understand the Marseilles, then I think it's particularly important with cards like this to try to make sure they are easily understood - but I'm sure I am, as the saying goes, teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here!

edited to add. I prefer the brown hair, but I am not so sure about the tongue sticking out. I'd be interested to hear what others think (though this design is by YOU, Tom, not by us, in the end it has to be your vision).

firemaiden

Interesting that Baba prefers brown hair, I would prefer it blonde, because of the association with the Hanged Man's head to the sun going down - in the Marseilles I have and in other decks, his head and face look like Helios.

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
If you want this tarot to be a good starter deck to help people understand the Marseilles, then I think it's particularly important with cards like this to try to make sure they are easily understood - but I'm sure I am, as the saying goes, teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here!

I am not so sure about the tongue sticking out.

Baba-prague - I've been trying to figure out how to say how much I value your input on this. It has taken me a while to understand your point thoroughly and so thank you for making me think. This type of discussion teaches me a lot so I value it very highly indeed. :)

I do think that the historical facts as to where the image comes from is important for a beginner to understand. The idea that traitors were hanged in this way isn't necessarily to say that this example is in anyway tragic. He's sticking out his tounge and waggling his fingers and generally having a good laugh. ;) I've become convinced that The Hanged Man is about the perception that humans beings are their physical bodies when in fact they are spiritual beings first. I feel my depiction helps put this across better than a more beatific expression might.

I guess I'm saying to quote Bob "de gustibus non est disputandum." :laugh:

I can see I'm going to have to write a book to accompany this deck.

I do think the card benefits from the darker hair - it just graphically works better than the yellow hair - there is a better balance with the colours.

Firemaiden - Cannot the rays of the sun be depicted in every (and thus any) colour?

baba-prague

firemaiden said:
Interesting that Baba prefers brown hair, I would prefer it blonde, because of the association with the Hanged Man's head to the sun going down - in the Marseilles I have and in other decks, his head and face look like Helios.

Actually, I never said (or thought) that I preferred it brown. What I suggested was a change of expression. I think he needs to look more, well, enlightened. He looks a little too ordinary facially I think.

Oh, and Tom, thanks for the thanks, but you know I am not a real Marseilles expert so not sure how much I can help. But what I would say is that I saw the tongue in a very different way. As a sign of thirst, pain, weakness perhaps - not as a "sticking out my tongue to make fun" gesture. I think this is the problem - it might be misinterpreted. We do associate a "lolling tongue" with death by hanging by the neck - and somehow this unpleasant association got in the way for me. But maybe if the expression can be more obviously happy it would all look different? Mind-you, in woodblock style I know it's hard to do subtle expressions.

p.s. and I am more than happy to try to help. I think this deck is a very interesting and worthwhile piece of work - well, you can see how much discussion it generates!

M-Press

Hi Tom!
I LOVE the un-named trump!!! My fave!

and what about naming the deck:
the "Un-named Marseilles"?

It would solve many problems, and it sounds appropriate... Like you bring something into it, that you can not really name?
just my immediate gut reaction to your post...
:)