Mark Filipas - The Pasteboard Masquerade

kwaw

venicebard said:
Okay: I don't buy your list in your Quote. This list above does not grab me either: how can you interpret the battle taking place in trump XX as "ShFR - to cleanse, make pleasing, to beautify; conciliate, harmonize"? (And doesn't ShVFR specifically refer to a ram's horn trumpet?)

He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet. Job 39:24

Ex 19:16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled

Ex 19:19 And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice.

Ex 20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.

Lev 25:9 Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land.

Judges 7:16 And he divided the three hundred men into three companies, and he put a trumpet in every man's hand…

Judges 7:22 And the three hundred blew the trumpets…

Trumpet = ShFR or ShVFR
(also note the symolic connection with the letter Shin that also represents the number 300).

Kwaw

Umbrae

venicebard said:
(And doesn't ShVFR specifically refer to a ram's horn trumpet?)
A ShVFR is made from a horn of a kosher, cud chewing animal with a cloven hoof (bovidae)

kwaw

Like the English King James version the Italian Diodati Bibbia also translates it as trumpet {tromba}, for example:

Esodo 19:16 E al terzo giorno, come fu mattina, si fecero tuoni e folgori; e una folta nuvola in sul monte, insieme con un suon di tromba molto forte; e tutto il popolo ch' nel campo tremava.

Esodo 19:19 E il suon della tromba si andava vie più rinforzando grandemente; e Mosè parlava, e Iddio gli rispondeva per un tuono.

Esodo 20:18 Or tutto il popolo vedeva i tuoni, e i lampi, e il suon della tromba, e il monte fumante; e veggendo , tremava, e se ne stava lungi;

Like the English Tynedale version the French Martin Bible translates it as 'horn' {cor}, for example:

Exode 19:16 Et le troisième jour au matin, il y eut des tonnerres, et des éclairs, et une grosse nuée sur la montagne, avec un très-fort son de cor, dont tout le peuple dans le camp fut effrayé.

Exode 19:19 Et comme le son du cor se renforçait de plus en plus, Moïse parla, et Dieu lui répondit par une voix.

Exode 20:18 Or tout le peuple apercevait les tonnerres, les éclairs, le son du cor, et la montagne fumante; et le peuple voyant cela tremblait, et se tenait loin.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
The root of both ShVFRA [grace]and SHVFR [trumpet] is ShFR - to cleanse, make pleasing, to beautify; conciliate, harmonize. As in Sotah 11b [Talmud]where it says :"The Lord sent an angel from on high who cleansed them and made them beautiful, like a midwife that cleanses a child." So we may say the blow of the trumpet not only awakens, but is simultaneously an act of Grace that like a wind cleanses away the dust of the earth, the stain of our sins; like a midwife that cleanses the newly [re]born; and makes us beautiful before G-d.

The name of one of the two Hebrew midwifes ordered by Pharoh to kill all male children born to Hebrews but disobeyed was ShFRH (fair). We could also possibly add to the wordlist ShMA - hearing, obeying.

Kwaw

kwaw

venicebard said:
Okay: I don't buy your list in your Quote.

(And doesn't ShVFR specifically refer to a ram's horn trumpet?)

The word ShNH means year, the Jewish New Year Day of Judgement of the entire world (Rosh HaShanna) is celebrated by the blowing of the Shofar.

yom_kipur.jpg

St. Paul wrote (with Greek Strong numbers for your reference):

1 Thessalonians 4:16
For G3754 the Lord G2962 himself G846 shall descend G2597 G5695 from G575 heaven G3772 with G1722 a shout G2752, with G1722 the voice G5456 of the archangel G743, and G2532 with G1722 the trump G4536 of God G2316: and G2532 the dead G3498 in G1722 Christ G5547 shall rise G450 G5698 first G4412:

The original Greek word for trump here, salpiggi (strong number G4536), is the same Greek word used in the Septaguint to translate the Hebrew word Shofar.

The Hebrew New Testament translates this passage:

1 Thessalonians 4:16 כִּי בִתְרוּעָה יֵרֵד אֲדֹנֵינוּ מִן-הַשָּׁמַיִם בְּקוֺל שׁוֺפַר אֱלֹהִים מִפִּי שַׂר-צְבָא הַמָּרוֺם וְהַמֵּתִים בַּמָּשִׁיחַ יָקוּמוּ אָז רִאשׁוֺנָה:

1 Thessalonians 4:16 KY BThRVOH YRD ADNYNV MN-HShMYM BQVL ShVFR ALHYM MFY ShR-TzBA HMRVM VHMThYM BMShYCh YQVMV AZ RAShVNH:

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

But still, if you don’t agree with the inclusion of ShFR (horn, trumpet) it doesn't really make any odds if you remove it, there are plenty of other words to make the point.

On Rosh HoShanna [on which the dead shall arise according to the talmud] see for example:

http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday2.htm

Kwaw

kwaw

venicebard said:
Okay: I don't buy your list in your Quote. An example of why (beyond my looking for the deeper meaning in the bulk of the ancient 3-letter roots, via the proto-bardic current [Rosanne forces me to use more exact terminology]) is GBYRH, whose root has the sense rather of strength or power, I believe, and yields as many (or more) masculine forms as feminine.

Don't like that word, then I will change it, after all there are plenty more in the dictionary. One of my favourites in relation to the Popesse card is GVAL.

GVAL means redeemer [as in I am thy Lord, thy rock and redeemer], but as GV also means belly / body can also be read with the suffix AL as either the Belly of God [Mary, pregnant with the Redeemer] and / or as the Body of God [as in church as the body of christ, our redeemer]. Such a play on the word is perfectly legitimate by the way, and can be in Hebrew texts in reference to Israel being 'pregnant with redeemers'.

Remember too that in one TdM deck the popesse is actually called 'la pances' the belly.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
Don't like that word, then I will change it, after all there are plenty more in the dictionary. One of my favourites in relation to the Popesse card is GVAL.

GVAL means redeemer [as in I am thy Lord, thy rock and redeemer], but as GV also means belly / body can also be read with the suffix AL as either the Belly of God [Mary, pregnant with the Redeemer] and / or as the Body of God [as in church as the body of christ, our redeemer]. Such a play on the word is perfectly legitimate by the way, and can be in Hebrew texts in reference to Israel being 'pregnant with redeemers'.

Remember too that in one TdM deck the popesse is actually called 'la pances' the belly.

Kwaw

Some other G words include:

GAH – exalted in triumph, raised up.
GAVLYM – redemption; GAL – redeemer; GALH – kindred, redemption; GVAL – redeemer.
GAB – be exalted in dignity and honour, a servant of God, God’s ways.
GVNY, GYNI – woman, GYVT – gentile status GVYH – gentile woman.
GVNDRYThA – balustrade, ledge.
GDVR – chastity.
GVR – divine dispensation, decrees.
GVLA – cloak; GVLThA v. to cloak, n. ceremonial cloak used at prayer; GNGYVM girdle; GS hem, border; GLYM wrapper, cloak.
GYL – the blank portions (white space) of a sacred script; the gospels of the gentiles; GLYFA shape of writing, impress of words; GVFA a text; GVFN characters of letters; GT legal document; GLGA revelation, preaching; GMRNA a teacher of traditions; GYRSA study of tradition; GRYS well versed, learnt by heart.

Kwaw

kwaw

venicebard said:
Okay: I don't buy your list in your Quote. An example of why (beyond my looking for the deeper meaning in the bulk of the ancient 3-letter roots, via the proto-bardic current [Rosanne forces me to use more exact terminology]) is GBYRH, whose root has the sense rather of strength or power, I believe, and yields as many (or more) masculine forms as feminine.

From the holy mother, infinite and eternal being we go to DBRH (female leader) the earthly mother, to the finite and temporal generation to generation (DVR v'DVR: DVR = generation) chain of being. So an adjusted alphabetic sequence might be:

AVVLTh – FOOL

BDYM – CONJUROR

GVAL – BELLY OF GOD (metaphorically holy mother, divine feminine) / BODY OF GOD (epitaph for church) / REDEEMER-REDEMPTION

DBRH– FEMALE LEADER, DVR – GENERATION (earthly mother, generation to generation)

HGMN – GENERAL, HGMNYA –COMMANDERSHIP, COURT, ADMINISTRATION, HGMNYVT – STAFF OF COMMANDERSHIP,

VDAY, (VYDY) – CONFESSION, FORGIVENESS

ZVG – JOIN TOGETHER, COUPLE, MATCHMAKE, TO WED, JOIN IN WEDLOCK, PAIR, SET

ChBSh – HARNESS .

TRVTNY – SCALES.

YchYD – SOLITARY ONE; YShYMVN -DESERT, SOLITARY, EREMITE.

KLYL – CIRCLE, CROWN, TO CROWN (ie, combining in one word both the element of moving in a circle and with crown that which shall, does, did and won't reign, traditional comments of the figures on the WoF).

LYBB – TO STRENGTHEN, MAKE COURAGEOUS ("the king took his son and made him courageous by making him attack the (tamed) lion" is one of the examples quoted in Jastrow); LBYA - LION.

MYTH – PENALTY OF DEATH ; MYTNA – PUT TO DEATH, ROPE, DRAWING TOWARDS ONESELF.

NBLH – DEATH

SChT – CAUSE TO FLOW; SChF – TO TILT OVER, INVERT (“like two cups inverted one over the other:” is the example quoted in Jastrow) :- v. SChYFA ‘AN INVERTED VESSEL’

OBVDH – IDOLATRY, AN IDOL

FAR – TO CUT THE CROWN OFF; FGVM – SEMI-CIRCULAR TURRET; FGYOH – STRIKING AGAINST.

TzVF – FLOOD, INUNDATE, CAUSE TO OVERFLOW; TzBO - HOSTS (of heaven = stars)

QBOA – PROCLAMATION OF NEW MOON DAY, BY WHICH THE LUNAR CALENDAR IS REGULATED. QDR - black, blackish, dark, darkened, heavily, mourn (darkening referencing the eclipse).

RShF - BURNING HEAT; RVMVLVS / RVMVS – ROMULUS AND REMUS THE TWO ORPHANS FOR WHOM THOU DIDST APPOINT A WOLF.

ShFVT, ShVT – JUDGEMENT; ShFR – TRUMPET

ThBL – WORLD

Kwaw

venicebard

kwaw said:
Not asking you to buy anything VB - I don't 'buy' yours either. My point is it is all an accident of the richness of language anyway, there is nothing to 'buy' apart from the process: so take the process and apply it to which ever system suits you.
I was speaking of the process: I simply meant I don't 'buy' it as demonstrating what you proffered it in demonstration of, or at least that it does not show the several concrete 'hits' per trump of Mark's model. Sorry if it sounded more combative than I meant it. The process I am currently applying to Hebrew is more saturative: to catalogue all the meanings of the (mostly) 3-letter roots native to Semitic and map the patterns therein (which are quite pronounced in the letters I've done so far) to see if any patterns match up -- and exactly how they match up, refining understanding -- with those of the proto-bardic catagorization of sounds.
kwaw said:
The word ShNH means year, the Jewish New Year Day of Judgement of the entire world (Rosh HaShanna) is celebrated by the blowing of the Shofar.
Now that's a powerful connexion. (You might be pleased to know that in bardic 20-Ss-straif-blackthorn-tzaddi is doubled [16]-S-saille-willow-shin, so we are not far off from each other here.)
But still, if you don’t agree with the inclusion of ShFR (horn, trumpet) it doesn't really make any odds if you remove it, there are plenty of other words to make the point.
No, I think you've shown it to be quite conceivable a Shofar would be pictured as a 'mere' trumpet (glad I needled you).
kwaw said:

Very interesting. And I do hope you realize I would not pretend to present the case for Mark's hypothesis in print without first finding and consulting similar sources (medieval word-lists). Still, I find it intriguing.

As for your "adjusted alphabetic sequence," verily I think we must all admit at this point that the Fool-alef arrangement would be just as justified as 'any other' using the pick-and-choose process you see in Mark's claim. I will admit you have had some effect on my view, but I would still be very interested in pursuing Mark's hypothesis via similar sources, to get a more detailed view of things and see if the concrete objects relative to the Conjurer=alef enumeration jump out at me or not. I suppose this could be a more involved process even than examining all the 3-letter roots of ancient Semitic. But in order to firmly establish a full picture of the very obscure history of tarot, I suppose a little pain would be excusable.

Many thanks for your posts, Kwaw.

le pendu

OMG VB,

I just saw your signature. LOL!!!!!!!!

Thanks to *everyone* for this very interesting discussion.