Marseille 3-card combinations

thinbuddha

I've been waiting for this thread to revive. My participation would probably be infrequent, but I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Flaxen

Subject: Family issue
Deck:Noblet
Method: Mel's pips

The first thing I notice is the direction of our king's gaze. He is looking to the wands as a possible source of his issue or a way to solve it. He is generally affable and pleasant but something is bothering him.

The 8 of wands is associated with 'perseverance' in Mel's pips which suggests that his initial solution may be to try the things he always has. He's not going to stop until he finds a way to solve it. It suggests a calm, steady approach.
However, the 6 of wands is a little more problematic. I read this as the other person involved in this issue and this sheds light on why the king is troubled. There is an odd imbalance suggested by this 6. It shows someone who is trying to please the king but is doing so in a way which is coming across as overly needy. There is a strong need to please and create harmony but it is being done in such a way as to make the king extremely uncomfortable. It is not an equitable balance or pleasant exchange for either of them. The 8 of wands would suggest the approach which is key to solving this problem.

noblet-1.jpg

thinbuddha

I haven't really had time to put the necessary attention into this cast of three cards, but my initial impression is of a man who has lost his virility- he is ashamed of what he has, and what he has lost.

I get this through very little- his body language in relation to the other cards is like one who is hiding something, and when you follow his eye line, he is looking at a pomegranate on the VIII, which is a traditional fertility symbol. Also, the "brackets" on the VI seem to be pointing towards the middle, which on a human form could be the groin area....

I'll try to come back to this with more details later. I typically don't use set meanings for the cards- even the pips, but this is what I'm getting on a first impression.

ETA - I don't even know Mels system for reading pips, so I've used something more akin to Enrique's "system", which is more of an impression based on ho the cards look than any numerology or meanings for the suits.

Melanchollic

I don't even know Mels system for reading pips, so I've used something more akin to Enrique's "system", which is more of an impression based on ho the cards look than any numerology or meanings for the suits.

I know Mel's system! :D

No doubt, Enrique's approach to imbuing these cards with meaning, and my approach are totally opposite. Neither, of course, is "the correct way". When Enrique interviewed me last year, I suggested that our different approaches to card interpretation was comparable to a conservative business man and a buck-wild supermodel. It may be fun to ponder which of us is the businessman, and which is the supermodel.

As for methods of reading the pips, one may argue, that I am the conservative business man, as I follow closely the precedent established in the 22 trumps of giving each card a specific, clear meaning, and having that meaning be of a universal nature. Furthermore, like in the 22 trumps, my pips form a over-arching didactic narrative, or at least attempt to. Also, I worked from a strictly medieval paradigm, keeping my pips grounded in the same soil as the trump allegories.

On the other hand, as I outright reject relativism and any relativistic methodology to card reading, I may in fact be the rebellious supermodel, as relativism has become defining current amongst the intellectual establishment, at least it was in the last century. Hopefully the 21st century will see a reversal to that trend.

Flaxen

I haven't really had time to put the necessary attention into this cast of three cards, but my initial impression is of a man who has lost his virility- he is ashamed of what he has, and what he has lost.

I get this through very little- his body language in relation to the other cards is like one who is hiding something, and when you follow his eye line, he is looking at a pomegranate on the VIII, which is a traditional fertility symbol. Also, the "brackets" on the VI seem to be pointing towards the middle, which on a human form could be the groin area....

I'll try to come back to this with more details later. I typically don't use set meanings for the cards- even the pips, but this is what I'm getting on a first impression.

ETA - I don't even know Mels system for reading pips, so I've used something more akin to Enrique's "system", which is more of an impression based on ho the cards look than any numerology or meanings for the suits.

Very interesting! So if we combined that with what I interpreted the spread as we get:
A man who has lost his virility but is persevering with the same old techniques that always worked in the past hoping it will come back. He is usually a sanguine, affable character but his partner is trying overly hard to please him in an effort to coax him back into action. He is starting to find this slightly irritating and it's beginning to cause strain. In fact, it may be contributing to the very problem it is trying to solve.

How does that sound as a blend of the 2 readings? :)

Flaxen

I know Mel's system! :D

:D And a great system it is too. It makes sense to me - even the elemental associations for the suits. The cups are firmly fixed in my mind as sanguine, airy personalities.

thinbuddha

Very interesting! So if we combined that with what I interpreted

I think both readings are richer for the combination. I wish I could do it on my own.

Elendil

My 'take' on these cards (visual/intuitive?)

I see the issue as an ineffectual father (King) who does not know how to effectively respond to the sibling rivalry between his two young sons (conflict elementally between WATER and FIRE - adopting the 'traditional' associations). Stamping his foot simply will not suffice (no 'real' action, just a poor emotional re-action) and will not restore calm to the family environment. The younger son (the VI) envies his brother (the VIII) whom he tries, unsuccessfully, to emulate (visually the two cards are similar though the VI is less 'robust' and the flowers not so well 'tended/groomed': Does the younger son not wash, not take care of his appearance, forget to brush his hair, act without consideration?). The younger son attempts to strike the same poses and even tries to dress the same way but doesn't quite manage the maturity nor measure up to his brother. He reacts by becoming belligerent and stubborn and is the major cause of the unrest within the family. (I see the 'brackets' as 'fortifications' that the younger son sets about himself). A radically different (and much firmer) parenting approach is required to rectify the situation.

E.

le_charior

To warm up for the TdM Exchange and to celebrate the arrival of my CDB Tarot de Marseille (finally!) I thought I might as well revive one of my favourite threads here with three new cards.

(No need to read through the whole thread, although it is as entertaining as it is enlightening, the idea is just to post three cards, state the deck, a fictitious area they relate to and a method (if any) and off we go!)

Deck: CDB Tarot de Marseille, Conver restoration by Yoav Ben-Dov, 2010
Area: A conflict between old friends
Method: Intuitive/visual/numerology/still-in-the-works
Cards: Ten Swords - Four Cups - Knight of Cups

5771312859_287e0329d6.jpg
5771303521_a70b11c520.jpg
5771306339_eb7bed64ce.jpg

Ten Swords symbolize the conflict. Crossed swords. It's more of an intellectual conflict, maybe differences in political questions. The conflict has been going on for a long time, since the start of the friendship, and it is part of the relationship. The ten tells me that the constant intellectual battle, that maybe both friends enjoyed, has reached its peak, now it's time to move on to something else.

Four Cups - the situation is emotionally stagnated - no excitement anymore. Four is family, structure, order, but also stagnation to me. The flowers here seem to be a little sad, a little powerless.

But wait! The Knight of Cups is coming to the rescue with a fifth cup, that he is offering to overcome the situation. If you look at the Five Cups, it's all joy and flowers and buds and heart-shapes, everything that touches the fifth cup seems revived. Can I post a fourth card or is that cheating? :)

5771303203_d614117032.jpg

So to overcome this conflict the two friends need to concentrate on their emotional bond to overcome different opinions. I'd tell them to get a drink and talk about the good old times they had together. Or look at old pictures of them together.

What do you think of these three?

Herzog

Great cards. Visual/Rhyme method

One of them looks back and decides, "enough is enough". He offers a truce, a peaceful word, an apology. This seems to have a warming effect on the relationship. The battle ends, turning into something more stabilized. It all begins with this first step and the one who is mature enough to take it.