Marseilles again (Study Group)?

Diana

Moonbow* said:
Now where do I go? You may only be a few, but you have so much knowledge that its hard to join in without making you all repeat yourselves from previous threads. Maybe I'm lazy and need to put more effort into cards?? Maybe this is all just way over my head?? Maybe its just easier to look at and use the RW decks?? Maybe I just want it all handed on a plate?? I'm a little frustrated.

Moonbow*: The Marseilles is DEFINITELY not over your head. It is not over anybody's head. Use the RW decks? When you have such a treasure of a Marseilles you could study? Why wear false pearls when you can wear real ones? (Of course, there is nothing from stopping you from wearing them both. :) ).

Ask all the questions you want. Who cares if we have already answered them. It's always nice to go over cards again - new light is always shed on them. There is nothing like a question to make one try and find a good answer, which makes people who have even studied this deck look at it anew. And I bet you that you will be teaching us a thing or two with your fresh insight - kind of like wisdom comes out of the mouths of babes kind of thing.

Don't forget that a number of people who use the Marseilles have had access to French literature, which you haven't - and we can share what we have learnt with you without your having to have read and bought all those books!

jmd has made a wonderful suggestion. I have another. Why don't you do a short reading? Nothing complicated. Three cards (not more to start with). And post them here with the request that we study it from a Marseilles point of view? That way it is not so abstract. You could even just do two cards, or even one if you wanted to.

You can't reach the top of the mountain without climbing it. But you won't be alone - we'll all come with you. *Diana goes and puts on her climbing shoes*.

Rusty Neon

In my case, I find both the GD/Thoth/RWS decks and the Tarot de Marseille decks to be worthwhile subject matters for continuing study.

Moonbow

jmd

Is the deck I have good enough to start Marseilles studies? It doesn't seem to have a much colour and detail as some of the decks. ........ Supposing I was to buy another one.......... (its ok no one is listening).... which would you recommend. I am also going to use marseilles in the 78 card/week study. Good idea.

Diana

Why do you always make me feel good about myself. How do you do it? I will do the 3 card reading, but my problem is that as I dont want to be influenced by what I know of RW decks I can only go by the LWB. I just cant read these cards intuitively, yet.
Can I post a question and spread and perhaps you and jmd could give me your perspectives on the cards??? And of course anyone else.

What do you think jmd?

Moonbow*

jmd

I presume the Marseille you have by USGames ('based on the Dodal') is the US Games imprint of the Marteau/Grimaud deck... if anyone else can verify this, please let us know.

In any case, a good means to identify various Marseille decks is to have a look at the information as it appears on the two of Coins's ribbon, and the initials (if any) upon the shield sitting on the Chariot's front (thought these have at times been copied, rather than identifying the artist). If you care to post these, it would make identification easier.

As to whether the deck is 'good enough', I would say, without being sure as to exactly which it is, definitely... I would have no hesitation in using it. The main reason for asking the details above is to figure out which colourings are being used...

...now, supposing you were to buy another one, I would get a copy of the Conver - for study purposes - either the Héron or LoScarabeo editions would be fine.

Diana

The US Tarot of Marseilles is a Dodal deck. It's not the most exciting to study with, Moonbow* :( . I can't see you having much fun with this deck.

If I had to recommend you one to start your studies with, I would go for the Grimaud deck (I can buy one for you and send it), or the Kris Hadar deck. The Hadar is prettier (and it's very very nice indeed). The Grimaud is more stark and basic. The Grimaud is my personal deck - I use it for all my "important" readings.

A number of people on the forums "know" how to use the Marseilles, so this could make for a very nice discussion group if you do your reading.

Moonbow

Diana, jmd thanks

This is my deck:
http://www.learntarot.com/mrdesc.htm

On the 2 coins it says Carta Mundi Turnhout. There are no initials on the Chariots shield.

I'm just going out the door to work now, but I'd like to look up the decks you both mentioned and decide when I have more time.

Moonbow* - I'll talk later :)

Diana

Just wanted to add: I can understand why a lot of Anglo-Saxons do not find the Marseilles appealing, if they order the US Games Tarot of Marseilles (which is the one available on Amazon for instance). I sometimes wonder if US Games didn't do it on purpose to choose this one). (I am wary of all "big" card makers, like US Games and Lo Scarabeo - their commercial and financial interests do not always fit in very well with the respect that Tarot deserves).

It's probably one of the ugliest Marseilles decks around (although very useful for historical study purposes).

When I hear members saying sometimes "The Marseilles deck is so ugly", I sigh, knowing that they are probably talking about the US Games one which seems to be about the only one readily available, at least, in the United States.

Diana

Moonbow*: you must have been posting at the same time as me. Yup, that's the Dodal one. If you don't want to invest in a new deck, then I suppose you could study with it - it's a Marseilles that sticks to the tradition (all Marseilles do). But it's just not attractive and that may put you off your studies.

Moonbow

need to compare decks...

Hi everyone and anyone..

Can you tell me where I can see (for comparison reasons) the following decks

Grimaud
Kris Hadar
Conver

Thanks Moonbow* :confused:

Moonbow

Marseilles reading

Hello anyone who wants to do this..........

I said previously that I would post a reading and perhaps all you experienced and budding marseilles enthusiasts can give me your marseilles take on it, (brilliant suggestion Diana). Marseilles decks are completely new to me and I dont want to be influenced at all by RW style so I am following the little white book.

Three card - Mind Body Spirit spread

Q~ What can the Marseilles Tarot teach me?

1. Page of Coins
2. Six Cups
3. Six Wands

Page of Coins - I understand this to mean that wealth is coming my way - but according to the lwb. it foretells a legacy which is not necessarily monetary wealth but could be a benefit of some other kind - actually, remembering the question, this is an excellent card in this position. Maybe its saying to me that Marseilles decks will bring me a wealth of knowledge as well as fulfilment, peace of mind, happiness???

Six Cups - this card seems to appear alot for me lately. The lwb. says this means lasting success and stability. Hmmm.. Could it mean that I will learn how to use the Marseilles cards and will continue to use them (lasting success). Once hooked on them I will be just as enthusiastic as some of you are?? Perhaps that they will become my main reading deck??

Six Wands - 'improvement, progress, material victory' - (lwb again)To me this is saying almost the same as card 2. Perhaps I will find contentment and peace of mind through using this deck - tricky card this one. I would like your views.

Its brief, I know, but I find I cannot yet read these cards intuitively. please tell me your take on these cards.

Moonbow* ;)