Mary Greer says Waite 'Fool' is a girl - Tarot Mirrors

Freddie

This is the 'Wheel of Fortune' spread from Mary's site.

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/yes-no-advice-oracle/

The Tree- roots, trunk and leaves spread is in the Lo scarabeo 'Visconti set' and it is by Giordano Berti and Tiberio Gonard. Berti only authors the first chapter (visconti/Tarot history) and the rest of the book concerns cartomancy and is authored by Gonard (including the tree spread, my apologies for the mistake). Gregory recommended the author G. Berti not this particular book, my mistake again. The cartomancy part of this book has some minor flaws, but I still think it is a good book for use with old fashioned European decks.

The spread is 3 cards in a row 3 high, 9 total. I do not like to perform yes or no spreads, because I'm uncomfortable with losing the element of freewill or choice in any of my readings. With my method, I feel I can offer an alternative to what the sitter is wishing for or wants to know. The cards offer alot of information, because they all are sitting in a fixed position in a grid so to speak.

Separate majors from minors.

Remove the 'Wheel of Fortune' card and hand to sitter to meditate upon.

Ask sitter to draw 2 major arcana

Ask sitter to draw 6 minor arcana.

Have sitter mix 3 majors and use as center line vertically starting at top.

Have sitter mix 6 majors and lay each card from top left hand corner to bottom right hand corner forming 3 rows of three.

Turn cards over from bottom row and work your way up..

If 'Wheel' card comes out in bottom row = unlikely or more trouble than it's worth.. consider moving on...etc...
middle row= likely, but may be delayed or have minor obstacles
top row = very fortunate outlook

How to further read the spread:
horizonal:
bottom roots -past events of question
middle trunk- present events of question
top leaves- the future (outcome if desired) of question

vertical:

left line - oppositional forces
central line- the querent
right live - favorable forces

This is a very easy spread to remember due to the shape of it (tree) I have used other cards than the 'Wheel' for this e.g. 'Lovers' (love), 'Empress' (Pregnancy), Justice (legal) etc........you get the picture.

Thanks for writing such wonderful books Mary!!! I look forward to studying your others.

Freddie

gregory

nisaba said:
In this original post, it sounds as if you expect one person to be "wrong" and another person to be "right". Tarot doesn't necessarily work that way.
Good point. Why didn't I think of that ?

Freddie

nisaba said:
It's taken me a while to find this thread.

In this original post, it sounds as if you expect one person to be "wrong" and another person to be "right". Tarot doesn't necessarily work that way. Neither of them originated Tarot - the earliest extant Tarot cards are from the 1400s. Both of them have their own interpretation on the archetypes, and "right" and "wrong" really doesn't apply here.

I try, whenever I'm conscious during my speech, to say "she" rather than "he" during conversation for individuals of unknown gender or groups like mankind ("man is a political animal - he likes to fight") merely to come a tiny way to redressing imbalance over the centuries. That's my personal choice.

I also personally think that all Tarot cards are dealing with symbols, archetypes, energies, and trying to portray them, rather than portraying individuals. Energies may be more commonly associated with one gender than another, but they are essentially sexless. The portrayal of a given card as a given gender is an example of artistic convention.

I agree with you Nisaba and that is a great post and response. The 'Mirrors' book has helped me (as an average 45 year old stuck in the 70's male reader) see the Tarot in just the type of manner as described in your post..I've always viewed it this way, but not as freely....as I said I'm going to read and study more of the Mary Greer catalog in the future. Mary Greer you are a keeper!!!! I'll put your books into to my most beloved Eden Gray, Papus, Wirth and Waite collection.

Freddie

Teheuti

Freddie said:
Mary Greer you are a keeper!!!!
Thank you, Freddie. I feel honored.

Mary

Freddie

You are most welcome Mary!!!

Freddie

Peredur

Fool's gender

As this individual has an obvious adam's apple, I would presume the gender to be male.

gregory

Peredur said:
As this individual has an obvious adam's apple, I would presume the gender to be male.
Oh I know quite a few women with.....

Not that I would want to be so literal anyway....