Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

Le Fanu

Would you mind to precise the length and the width of the cards (in cm)?
17 cm (length) by 8.5 (width) and 3 cm when stacked. I have just compared them to the Visconti set Golden Tarot and they are exactly the same size in every way, which surprised me as they really seemed much bigger to me, among the biggest cards I've seen! But for anyone who has the Golden set - yes - same size.

For me, I don't see any advantage in using this version. The original Madenié is so lovely and compact and warm and inviting, I don't see why I would need to work with a redrawn replica which is harder to handle. There is nothing whatosever wrong with Yves & Wilfrid's version that needs to be rectified. It is so evidently the better version of the two.

But I get the distinct sense that I'm not the target public. I sometimes feel that.

Astraea

I don't think Yves and Wllfried have a thing to worry about. ;)

As a purist, I expected not to like this set, and indeed I can't imagine ever choosing to use it over any of my other TdM, but it's charming in a clunky, over-the-top way (marbled fake antique backgrounds, the sheer chutzpah of its size, gloss, and redrawn faces). The book doesn't do much for me, but it's beautifully produced.

I could see this set being the centerpiece of an introductory course to TdM - it's user-friendly and somehow cozy. Very nicely done, for the price.

Emily

I think a newbie to TdM's will like this deck and book set. It has everything to get you started - a book that doesn't just suggest a system for the pips but gives you a foundation to start with that you can then move along with. Most of the other TdM books will just suggest a system to use and then leave you to it. I do think the book could have been better but it has been thoughtfully planned out, very appealing to a new TdM reader.

The cards too, apart from that aged look, are very nice to look at. The Madenie, for me, is very attractive and these cards are paler than all the other re-coloured TdM's. But you can tell they have been cleaned up and retouched.

A few weeks ago nothing would have moved me from the Burdels I was using, all re-coloured and cleaned up. But I think I might be turning into a bit of a purist too after taking delivery of the Madenie and the Chosson from Yves, which are so beautiful to look at and use.

But I do think this set has its place. :)

coredil

17 cm (length) by 8.5 (width) and 3 cm when stacked.

... I get the distinct sense that I'm not the target public. I sometimes feel that.
Indeed, the cards are huge!
I love huge Tarot cards!
Thanks for your informations.

Patrick Booker

Just arrived in the post. Too big for me to comfortably use, but a nice product. I prefer Yves' facsimile, though.

Patrick

Desecrated

I like big cards and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny

Richard

While I have no interest in the Mary Packard, this thread had the effect of prompting me to order the facsimile version of the Pierre Madenié by Yves and Wilfried. I received deck #2182 yesterday. Everything Le Fanu has written about it is on target. I am generally not a fan of facsimiles, but this one is a real treasure!

gregory

My, they are LARGE. Biggest TdM I own. But I like them :)

coredil

The deck is really nice and I really love the huge cards.
I find it the whole package very well made.
If only the cards would not smell so badly!
And ... what a pitty (shame) that on the Fool the detached bell on the ground disappeared!

Emily

While I have no interest in the Mary Packard, this thread had the effect of prompting me to order the facsimile version of the Pierre Madenié by Yves and Wilfried. I received deck #2182 yesterday. Everything Le Fanu has written about it is on target. I am generally not a fan of facsimiles, but this one is a real treasure!

Le Fanu enabled me also - I'm ordering a second copy of the Madenie before they all get sold. The Chosson is nice too.