Medieval Scapini arrived today

nisaba

Sorry to revive an old thread,
That's a strange thing to apologise for! reviving old threads adn re-animating old pleasures is a delight to most of us.

but I just got my Scapini deck and wanted to share some insight. First of all, dont play with your tarot cards while eating.
<cackle> I'll add that Useful Suggestion to my collection of arcane Tarot lore.

Though, a well-aged, well-loved deck appeals to many more than a mint condition deck - and how do they get that way? Yes -

I had just looked at my deck, but had to get it out again to check what version it was and if the pictures were blurry.
Does it have "real" reflective gold-foil on it, or are the gold bits merely orange-brown printer's ink with the odd grace of yellow highlights, and the silver merely grey ink? That's the one I have. I love it, but I suspect I'd be faithless to it in an instant if I had the gilded-image one.

A tip to all those who love this deck but have trouble reading with it: get the book Art and Arcana.
<curiously> Is it written by Scapini himself, or by someone else? Reason I ask, is that I've had my fingers burnt before: on occasions when I;ve really loved hte work of a creative person whom I know from one field, and I've sought out their work in another field, I've often been disappointed, somtimes painfully. I could mention a certain well-known visual artist who wrote a much-touted novel in later life that was a crashing disappointment. The two novels of Leonard Cohen's that I was recently lent were by contrast excellent - but sadly, they just served to underline how very few people *can* swap media like that.

It explains a LOT, probably more than you want to know, but it will show that Scapini knew more about Tarot when he made this deck than most people realize!
I don't know anything about the time-line of Scapini's working life (as far as I'm concerned it started with the Stained Glass, which was my first and why I fell in love), but we know he worked on the Cary-Yale Visconti recreating the missing cards, and many of the Mediaeval's cards have heavy Visconti overtones. I could point to <rummages around in collection> the posture and dress of the Magician and his collection of stuff which is so different to the modern-day stuff we usually see on his bench, the Lovers, Fool and Hanged Man all of which which are even closer direct quotes, And Temperance, who is even wearing the same Visconti dress and falling-down stockings!

Decker, the author,
Ah. I *would* edit out my earlier paragraph, except that I made points about my own thinking on the subject.

bhakti

Well, I am re-reviving this thread. Anyone care to pass me a tissue? My Scapini deck arrived today after much excited anticipation. My day quickly turned dark when I discovered that I received a dud. The images are so blurry that I briefly considered getting my eyesight checked. I am so disappointed because I think this could be a really great deck. Not even sure I can muster the energy to read with this one, though. The printing is so bad! Such a let down.

kabang

Well, I am re-reviving this thread. Anyone care to pass me a tissue? My Scapini deck arrived today after much excited anticipation. My day quickly turned dark when I discovered that I received a dud. The images are so blurry that I briefly considered getting my eyesight checked. I am so disappointed because I think this could be a really great deck. Not even sure I can muster the energy to read with this one, though. The printing is so bad! Such a let down.

Bummer. It's a great deck. The first copy of it I bought was the "muddy" printing, but I had the good luck to snap a good copy up from another forum member. If you like it, it's worth seeking out the good (Swiss, I think?) printing--and buying the book as well. I kept the gungy copy anyway as a backup.

Pandora MoonRaven

I used to have this deck. I always felt I would be able to read well with it but mine was blurry too! I always thought it was just the art or something and traded it. It gave me a headache, always felt like I was looking at it with my glasses off. I mean it isn't THAT bad...yet it is.

nisaba

Mine doesn't have the "real" gold on it - just printer's ink that looks like brown with orange highlights - but it is not at all blurry. If it's new, send it back and ask for a refund -

bhakti

Nisaba, My deck also has the fake gold and silver blobs on the cards :( Yuck! I am taking your advice and returning the deck for a refund. I just can't get on with it the way it is.

I am going to begin the search for a copy with better printing.

Morwenna

On mine, the gold is really a picture of gold, but it's not muddy. The silver, however, is reflective. And the printing is clear. It's the Belgian printing. If you have the Italian printing, my condolences.

Lady Iron Side

This is my one 2nd deck ever purchased and yes the gold and silver is beautiful. my one of 3 fav's. This is my study deck, I use it for the symbols only, and do reading with that. I just take on small little symbol that pops out at me and go from there. I started the study group for this deck many years ago, I gave up on due to I was the only working with it. It would be nice to see others use the study group and at least complete it. I personally have lost interest in the study group. as far as partake, however I would like to pop in there once in a while to see what others opinion/thoughts/ etc are an the cards.

Medieval Scapini Study Group

Edit:

If anyone is interested in me finishing the pips I still have my journal and can do that, but only if there is interest. sincerely
LIS

Freddie

I forgot how much I luv this one. I dug it out of me box, because for some reason it was on my mind Anyone here still using this one? I am putting mine back into use.

Freddie

Hathor

I love love the Medieval Scapini too ! Thanks for bringing it up Freddie ! On the way home from work today I was thinking of which deck to pull from my chest - now I know !