Melissa Lenormand

Debra

Melissa's Lenormand--even better than you thought.

I won a 36-card "proof" copy of this deck. I am totally delighted and grateful to Melissa for the chance to have this deck, and to cardlady22 for helping to organize the drawing. Thank you, thank you! :heart:

The deck came today and I'm happy to be the first (am I the first?) to offer a review.

It came in a stunning envelope-style hand-made bag. I'm not sure if Melissa is offering these on her web site. If she is, get one is all I'll say.

And the deck.

Summary: Stunning and surprising.

Details: The cards are playing-card size on nicely-finished playing card stock, with narrow white borders and a thin black line outlining each central image. The borders frame each card exactly appropriately. The diagonal design backs are quite lovely and add a feeling of mystery to the deck.

Not that the deck needs special backs to give it mystery. In the hand, these cards are even more interesting than in the scans.

Some visual elements, like color and tone and the use of writing "underneath" the collage images, are obvious in the scans. Others only became clear to me when I laid them all out on the table.

For example, the deck shows a terrific sense of composition. The cards are not all composed the same (one figure in the middle of the card) nor is each card's composition completely unique (as in some collaborative and collage decks). It's a perfect balance, with just enough similarity among cards to unify the deck , and just enough variation to make each card visually distinct.

Another surprise is that the writing on most of the cards, which I wasn't motivated to decipher on-screen, becomes compelling when you hold them in your hand. I find myself picking out words and phrases from the text on the cards; the text enriches the cards well beyond the (stereo)typical simple Lenormand images.

Some words are large and easy to read. My favorite of this type, due to its its hilarity, is the choice in Path between "study and cleanliness" or "cigarettes and self-abuse."

Many of the cards have the same cursive text in the background (perhaps from a letter?) but because of the placement of the foreground images and shading, some words are clear and others obscured. "Quietly" in Hearts and "quietly" in Snakes reads and feels not at all the same.

I had chosen "Ship" and "Letter" for the contest without looking at either with my own reasons why these two concepts came to mind. Having the Ship and Letter cards in hand, however, I see more. Ship includes a wrong-side-up "This Side Up, Handle with Care" label. Letter shows the sweetness of correspondence, but also discipline and training (see for yourself when you get the deck!). These elements surprised and enlightened me well beyond what I would see in a typical oracle deck picture of a ship or letter.

In other words: layers and depth, not just visually, but also for reading.

:love:

strings of life

^ Thanks for taking the time to review the proof-copy!

* lucky ;) *

I'm anticipating my little package in the mail.

tarotmama said:
And I'm so grateful you did! I'm now officially breaking even on the printing costs! LOL
That is fabulous news!

* round of applause *

tarotmama said:
Well I am tempted to just include the little white book style card meanings and encourage users to read intuitively, but I'm afraid that will alienate those who read Lenormand cards with a combination system and guided readings... So I'm a bit lost as to what to include (information on using a signifier, for example...?). And the problem is that it all has to fit on a tiny 2.5 x 3.5 book that has to be trim enough to fit in the card box.

So do you guys think it would be offensive to Lenormand readers if I just suggested in the LWB to look on the internet for more systematic styles of reading?
Aerin said:
I would say how you want YOUR deck to be used. It is yours. Not someone elses. If people are offended then tough - they can read how they want.

I always think that the most valuable information in a LWB is the author's perspective.
I agree with Aerin. I love when a creators booklet offers explanations about why these used certain images, symbols or colors. A standard LWB may not be the fit for that since it's short, but if you include copy on what the cards mean to you, it can help us connect with what inspired you. Of course, we as readers can interpret the cards on our own, but I find it deeply rewarding to read information from the creator.

Satori

Two books stand out for me in terms of great Tarot books. And these are full sized books, not LWB's. But perhaps the big is coming? ;) So I loved the Fey tarot book and the book that Robin Wood wrote for her Tarot.

As for the LWB, I too like ideas from the author about why the deck came out the way it did, sort of like telling stories about the births of my babies, the gory details and the fun stuff.

I don't have a Lenormand system that I use right now. I'm a Lenormand wanna be reader right now. Yes I can do the intuitive thing, but I worry that I'm missing out telling someone something crucial that I could have told them had I known that Book+Key+Coffin meant something really significant for them personally, but I didn't know the proper meanings.

Now, why it matters more to me with the Lenormand than it does with the Tarot, I have no clue. I don't worry at all about what I tell people with that tool. For some odd reason I have a fear of the Lenormand.

tarotmama

Debra said:
I'm happy to be the first (am I the first?) to offer a review.

Yep! The first! Thanks :)

Debra said:
It came in a stunning envelope-style hand-made bag. I'm not sure if Melissa is offering these on her web site. If she is, get one is all I'll say.

I really won't be doing any sewing till May... after then who knows!

Debra said:
Summary: Stunning and surprising.

LOL OH good! That's what I was going for!

Debra said:
Another surprise is that the writing on most of the cards, which I wasn't motivated to decipher on-screen, becomes compelling when you hold them in your hand. I find myself picking out words and phrases from the text on the cards; the text enriches the cards well beyond the (stereo)typical simple Lenormand images.

Some words are large and easy to read. My favorite of this type, due to its its hilarity, is the choice in Path between "study and cleanliness" or "cigarettes and self-abuse."

That's one of my favorite cards. The source image is from a boys health primer from the 1920s and one side shows the "path to success" which ends with the boy being a doctor or something and the other shows the "path to destruction" -- which cigarettes and self-abuse being one of the steps! LOL

Debra said:
In other words: layers and depth, not just visually, but also for reading.

I wish I could say that it was all intentional, but my creative process involved collecting images in a folder for each card and then carefully going through and seeing how they layered together and then double-checking my art against known card meanings. Remember, I am a Lenormand beginner myself!

Satori said:
Yes I can do the intuitive thing, but I worry that I'm missing out telling someone something crucial that I could have told them had I known that Book+Key+Coffin meant something really significant for them personally, but I didn't know the proper meanings.

Just keep in mind that all the systems out there are just as subjective as any one you might come up with for yourself. As far as I know, Mlle Lenormand never published a deck in her lifetime. It's my understanding the the Lenormands are based loosely on what people remember from her cards?

Anyway, I would like to do the Treppner course sometime, but I just haven't made it a financial priority. After going through the process of creating the cards and doing tons of readings with them myself, I'm confident that it's a lovely and complete oracle -- similar to tarot -- that anyone can read with skill and competence if they just practice, practice and practice! :)

Any system you might learn would add layers of meanings to the readings, but I can't imagine those layers will do much for someone who isn't familiar and comfortable with the cards already. There are systems for card pairs in Tarot too, for example (I'm thinking the Golden Dawn elemental correspondences) -- and these might add additional details to the cards, sure -- but you don't need them to give awesome readings!

---

Ok, my inbox is also clear for those who tried to PM me this morning/last night. Sorry!

Moonmystic

I hope it wasn't too late for the preorder... I ordered one last evening. This deck is beautiful!

Le Fanu

Any news on this? Soon to be shipped? Dying for mine... :)

zan_chan

Did anyone see my mini review? I posted it in the contest thread...maybe I'll repost here....

thorhammer

Please do! I'd love to see it - I turn off the Oracle games forum :)

\m/ Kat

Satori

tarotmamma said:
That's one of my favorite cards. The source image is from a boys health primer from the 1920s and one side shows the "path to success" which ends with the boy being a doctor or something and the other shows the "path to destruction" -- which cigarettes and self-abuse being one of the steps! LOL

This is exactly the kind of information you might include in a book. Your own impressions and the anecdotal yet mnemonic type of info that creates pictures behind the cards. Stories that pop the meanings.

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:
Any news on this? Soon to be shipped? Dying for mine... :)
Oh - just saw this . . . Mel broke her wrist lately so she's feeling poorly and last I read, a day or two ago, she was still waiting for the decks and boxes to be delivered from the printer :)

I, too, am really excited about mine :)

\m/ Kat