Memories of Miss Cleo

shininglion

While the lawsuits may have ended her career as a spokeswoman for Mind & Spirit, she is clearly a remembered entertainment piece. Watch in amazement as she attempts to predict the future path of NBA star LeBron James (and fails quite miserably). This video is from earlier this year, 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swQOV3KHjAM

I wanted to open up new discussion on Miss Cleo. I think the woman and the company she worked for are an interesting phenomenon.

I realize the entire company was running one big money-sucking scam, but I have to admit, when the Cleo commercials were airing, I was only a teenager, and I found her personality and alleged accuracy to be very inspiring. I would sit up late at night watching her infomercials, swooning over her ability. It would be a lie if I didn't admit those commercials were what sparked my interest in Tarot. They really brought it into the mainstream, and now that I'm a studied practitioner myself, I only wish I could watch some of her readings again and analyze them, see if there is any rhyme or reason behind her explanations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the calls in the commercials were entirely scripted, but I do recall watching one reading where she mentioned someone being too stubborn to listen to her father. A quick camera shot of the spread did show some cards that may have represented that. There was an Emperor card (father figure) and a Seven of Wands (resistance/struggle). Perhaps coincidence, because I've made the same observation as many others: Majors and court cards seem to be almost the only things that pop up in her spreads, far more than you'd expect them to.

As I heard, Cleo was actually a reader for the company before she became the spokesperson, so I wonder if she does at least have "some" degree of tarot knowledge.

The Four Doors Spread which she was commonly seen using is to this day one of my favorites (anyone know where this originates?). It's a very advanced spread that is fluid and widely open to interpretation. I personally have trouble even doing a reading with it, but I see it as a powerful tool for the advanced reader, and strive to be able to use it with ease one day. I love the amount of intuition it relies on. I wonder if Cleo was using the lack of structure in this spread to do a form of cold reading, using the cards as cues for things to talk about, but playing off of what the caller said to make her predictions?

Last, does anyone own Miss Cleo's Tarot Power Deck? I've seen these going really cheap on the internet, so cheap in fact that it's almost worth having as a novelty item and memento of what sparked my interest in tarot, and the humor I found in those late night infomercials. Whether I believed in her abilities or not as a teen, I did find her commercials hilarious, and she became the object of much spoofing in my group of friends. I have some good memories of skits I wrote and performed for friends at school in which I pretended to be her.

To anyone who has the deck, what do you think of it? Is there anywhere online you can see a large number of the cards? I've only seen a handful, and to be honest I sort of like the hokey simplistic Egyptian feel. It reminds me of the stereotypical "gyspy" psychics you'd see at a circus or state fair. I'm considering buying one, though I don't know if I'd ever use it for any serious readings.

I have to wonder if Cleo's commercials actually served a higher purpose in the grand scheme of things. The company was exposed as a scam and the modern public was reminded that there are phonies who call themselves psychics. We all learned a lesson from that, not to mention a lesson about believing what we see on television, and with the popularity of Miss Cleo, I'd wager that a vast amount of people took interest in Tarot and went out to discover how to do it themselves. Strange to think of it that way, but the fraud may have equipped many of us with abilities we wouldn't have without it.

Phony or not, Miss Cleo was a role model for me, and has a prominent spot in my memories of the first steps in my Tarot journey.

Dat be all I have ta say about Miss Cleo fer now! Tank you for humorin' me babies, and I lub you all!

starrystarrynight

I must admit, I never saw her before doing any predictions (and when watching that YouTube clip, I thought maybe she was going to come up with LeBron James's landing place...hey, they gave her a choice between NY and Chicago, and she tossed them both aside...a lesser reader might have picked one of the two! And then they rushed her to give her pick.)

Anyway, I do have a Miss Cleo deck, which I picked up for less than five dollars (including shipping!) from an Ebay auction because I needed a new-to-me deck to do an exchange experiment here a few years ago. It isn't a bad little deck at all. I should dig it out again and dust it off.

Until I saw this thread, I forgot I had one.

DaughterOfDanu

I remember a few years ago, people were selling her deck on ebay in bulk. You could get a set of 10 for next to nothing.

They're very inexpensive and if Cleo was a influential figure in your tarot path, then I say go for it!

I added it to my wishlist because it does seem like an interesting conversation starter to have and because the price of one might go up as the years go by.

Nytebugg

you can get them cheaply on ebay. I'm think I want one just for the novelty of it. I kind of remember the ads.

Chiriku

I love this original post and enjoyed reading every bit of it. I have nothing but fond memories of Miss Cleo and her fake Jamaican accent.

I remember her ads would come on TV during the commercial break and inevitably, a family member would hold forth against the sin of divination (my family are all evangelical, fundamentalist Protestant Christian). Meanwhile, I would be smiling to myself that I was one of "them"--well, not a hired spokesperson for a business enterprise, but at the least, someone inducted into the fraternity/sorority of tarot.

Can you point me to some resources that describe this "Four Door" spread?

MrAndrewJ

I never bought into the hype over Miss Cleo, to be polite about it.

I briefly thought about Ebaying a deck as - yes - they are cheap. Then I saw the pictures on aeclectic.net

That poor Magician looks like he's melting. :(

DaughterOfDanu

MrAndrewJ said:
I never bought into the hype over Miss Cleo, to be polite about it.

I briefly thought about Ebaying a deck as - yes - they are cheap. Then I saw the pictures on aeclectic.net

That poor Magician looks like he's melting. :(

Lol death looks amazingly funny. The man's hand position is in the "Wah wah" Pose and Anubis is looking at him like "Nawwww nooo don't cry man. Get it together! Look, I'm not taking you to the underworld anymore."

Other than those two, it does look like the artwork is pretty neat.

shininglion

Chiriku said:
I love this original post and enjoyed reading every bit of it. I have nothing but fond memories of Miss Cleo and her fake Jamaican accent.

I remember her ads would come on TV during the commercial break and inevitably, a family member would hold forth against the sin of divination (my family are all evangelical, fundamentalist Protestant Christian). Meanwhile, I would be smiling to myself that I was one of "them"--well, not a hired spokesperson for a business enterprise, but at the least, someone inducted into the fraternity/sorority of tarot.

Can you point me to some resources that describe this "Four Door" spread?

Surprisingly, I couldn't find any information on it anywhere on the net when I searched for it! How strange! Lucky for me, I kept it copied to my computer from the last time I found it years ago. I've posted it in the threads section of the forum here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2488018#post2488018

shininglion

Treeleafe and Nytebugg, I couldn't resist the temptation. 6 Dollars is just too good a price for nearly any full-sized unopened tarot deck, and the shipping was free. I've ordered it from eBay. I'll give the verdict on my feelings about it when it arrives within the next week or two.

I'm actually pretty excited. I love how the box for the deck has a cheesy candlelit picture of Miss Cleo on the front with a glowing aura about her and a blatant "As Seen on TV" stamp floating above her. That's exactly how I remember those commercials. What fond memories. :)