Mercury, retrogradeness (schedules, automobiles, recreation)

paradoxx

In one of the ruled signs of the winged messenger, tis the time of year for a sharp angled viewpoint of the speedy planet to be retrograde. Virgo, the symbol of scholarly study and brainpower implemented while Mercury would be establishing absolutely no aspects to any other major body in the solar system.

Communication gone awry about realistic interaction, automobiles may need some repair time scheduled, restoration of a grand objective is underway. Mercury without aspect when direct wants to talk the night away right into morning; when retrograde a deep introspective review of recent events; when stationary though, a state of information return could be so active that the regulation devices might be disabled due to too much conflicting status reports.

All the while, Jupiter and Saturn oppose eachother in Aries and Libra asking us nicely to turn to more unusual means of gaining financial input. Adjustments to Jupiter in Retrograde across the Zodiac if that is where all interaction went with professionalization in a time of confusion.

Minderwiz

Traditionally, the features associated with Mercury Retrograde are associated more with a debilitated Mercury - that is taking into account all dignities and debilities and ending up with the negatives outweighing the positives.

Mercury not only rules but is in exaltation in Virgo. Using the traditional scale (which should only be treated as a very rough guide) Mercury starts out with +9. Retrogradation will subtract 5, and being very slow will subtract another 2. Finally being oriental, subtracts the last 2, giving Mercury 0 dignity over all. I've not taken into account dignity and debility by house placement, because that is a local phenomenon and cannot generally be applied. So individuals may find Mercury raised in dignity or lowered still futher by it's house placement. Mercury will gain a little dignity when it ceases to be slow. So we might find a little improvement at that point.

If Mercury had not been in Virgo then it would have fallen into debility and have the usual characteristics of a debilitated Mercury. As Modern Astrology ignores some of the traditional dignities, such as phase relationship with the Sun, and speed of travel, retrogradation can take on more importance than in the past.

So when you consider 'what does this mean for me', remember to allow for Mercury's house placement at your locality, as well as checking where retrograde Mercury is transiting your own chats (and of course any aspects it might cast)

cardlady22

Minderwiz said:
Using the traditional scale (which should only be treated as a very rough guide) Mercury starts out with +9. Retrogradation will subtract 5, and being very slow will subtract another 2. Finally being oriental, subtracts the last 2, giving Mercury 0 dignity over all.
Forgive the interruption, but in which site or book do I find these calculation values?

ETA: Found this in the sticky. Thank you!
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig5.html

Minderwiz

Glad you found it but remember to treat it with some caution - it's meant as a rough guide, not an exact calculation and there may be times you will want to adjust it or over-ride it.

The more debilitated Mercury becomes, the more it's likely to be erratic and misdirected (other things being equal)

cardlady22

*makes me contemplate rolling a die* :laugh:

GoddessArtemis

I've been feelings this for about 5 days. Talk about communication issues, esp. with technical stuff. Also - I find myself ruminating more (like I need this!) - but I think that's part of the retrograde effect...thinking things through and then releasing them.

Can't wait for the retrograde to pass, though. My Mercury is in Aries in my 5th house.

GA

AmethystEyes

Last Mercury RX I heard from a friend I hadn't heard from in 2 yrs. I'm looking at it a bit differently now. Not as bad as I once thought.

celticnoodle

I'm glad it has not been bad for you, DevlishAngel, but quite frankly it's been hell for me! :laugh:

and, i have a tarot reading scheduled for tomorrow-so I hope I can read well for the client, (a repeat client), and not get it all wrong! lol! :eek:

well, time will tell, eh?

AmethystEyes

Well then the time before that last one I dropped my cell in the toilet :bugeyed: lol That counts right? Communication/technology issues :laugh:

GoddessArtemis

This retro...or, pre-retro Mercury right now, is kicking my tuckus. It's in Virgo...can't expect any less...

GA