MetaBarons Tarot

mrpants

seedcake, Jodorowski's films are exceptionally weird, and not for the faint of heart. His Tarot book is pretty good, but really only fits his Marseille Tarot. I suggest reading the Metabarons series, to get into this deck. That, paired with a general knowledge of the Rider deck should get you in tune with this edition. The artwork is great!

mrpants

Actually seed, I take that back, regarding Jodo's tarot book;it may be useful here. Le Fanu, what are the meanings like in the Metabarons LWB? Any relation to Marseille vs RWS meanings?

General thoughts about this project:

I can't get enough of the artwork! I'll probably get into the series, and consider the deck later.

The same thing happened to me when I found the Corto Maltese deck, but sadly very little of the books are translated into English. The one that was released a couple of years ago had a bevy of technical flaws that had all the critics squawking; most were justified. In the end, I got the deck as well, which includes a lot of watercolor images not found in the original panels of the books. I do occasionally read with it, but I'm bummed that it leans heavily in the direction of Waite's minor arcana definitions.

At first glance, the MB does the same thing, regarding how the images they chose relate to tarot as a system. Any more information the group can supply in this regard would be most appreciated!

seedcake

seedcake, Jodorowski's films are exceptionally weird, and not for the faint of heart. His Tarot book is pretty good, but really only fits his Marseille Tarot. I suggest reading the Metabarons series, to get into this deck. That, paired with a general knowledge of the Rider deck should get you in tune with this edition. The artwork is great!

I've watched "Santa Sangre". Visually, very in my taste and I was pleased. I was not into the main ideas and even I have few more films to watch, I stop myself. But well, Jodorowsky done much for the Tarot, I adore TdM decks. And I love sc-fi to pieces but had a hard time with graphic novels. But this particular artwork for Metabarons looks so stunning. Definitely, something worth checking.

Shade

Now it's my turn to oblige.

A quick selection of favourites taken with my phone which - to my knowledge - haven't been reproduced elsewhere. You can figure out what they depict yourselves...

I really like the art, and I'm glad I pre-ordered it, but I do see what you mean about needing the context of the story itself. The King of Coins, for example being an extreme close-up of a man with a gun doesn't give us too much to go on. If I pick from my existing bag of King of Coins ideas I see that "Cautious" probably applies here and "Makes his own way." Maybe "relies on his resources." The "Aquarian Tarot" level of close up cretes a sense of immediacy on some of the cards but also limits the amount of context we get.

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, what are the meanings like in the Metabarons LWB? Any relation to Marseille vs RWS meanings?
It's always hard to say with any degree of certainty with these things. But here's a description of the 6 of Swords - one of the cards I photographed;

"Othon is forced to see the secret of the Castaka. Travel - Initiation"

Another one, for Shade. King of Coins (also in the photo);

"Aghnar is the first Metabaron to inherit the title. Valorous men - Getting over the past"

As you can see there is always a Metabaron reference that means nothing to me and then a minimal,not so traditional meaning.

I think you either have to be a geeky fan that knows all the references or you just make it up, have it as a sort of comic book theme deck to read for Sci-Fi fans with.

GlitterNova

I suppose that's about what I expected from a Lo Scarabeo LWB. I still haven't seen any cards that leave me totally scratching my head, luckily. I study group might be helpful for those of us who aren't familiar with the source material, too.

rylla

My local shop has it.

I saw it for sale on Saturday. Love the look of it from the box but I draw a limit on decks which refer to a series I know nothing about! I'm sure it's curious and interesting and the artwork looks good but I have zero knowledge of what on earth is being referred to.

I know people will say "oh I can read with anything" but I do wonder about the place of decks like Corto Maltese and this (and what was that other one Magus?Mago? Something else comic-strip-like. ETA; Mage the Ascension, that's it!)). How is the general population going to react to a deck like this or does the MetaBarons series have such a massive fan base that they don't need ignorant outsiders like me?

IfI laid this out on the reading table I'd be wildly guessing stuff.

I never heard of MetaBarons.

LeFanu, I have to move to "Somewhere Spooky" too. It seems that there your have great local store(s) that caries tarot decks!!! :)

Shade

I noticed my Amazon order has no shipping info added to it and the deck is listed as currently unavailable. Has anyone using Amazon US gotten a confirmation?

rwcarter

I noticed my Amazon order has no shipping info added to it and the deck is listed as currently unavailable. Has anyone using Amazon US gotten a confirmation?
My Meta-Barons order says
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.
But when I click the item in my cart, I also get Currently Unavailable.

That tells me that either the slow boat from Italy has been delayed or the from LoS deck has been removed from Amazon since the from Llewellyn deck is still available for purchase. I will raise holy youknowhwat if they cancel my from LoS order and don't give me that lower price for the from Llewellyn deck!

Rodney

feynrir

IMO, there are just not enough decks out there of this tone (rather serious and cerebral, but not 'dark'), and certainly not enough science fiction-based decks (coming from a rabid SF reader). I'm also always on the lookout for masculine decks, and this one is definitely that. Hooray!!

Some of the images are stunning, and some fall a bit flat for me. I think I'd also be more excited about it if, as stated before, so many Lo Scarabeo decks didn't already have such a comic vibe to their art. (I've owned the Pagan Tarot among others.) In my more lenient deck-buying days, this would already be on its way to me :D As it stands, I'll admire it from afar, but hopefully read the comic sometime!