Minimalism in recent and upcoming Tarot decks

Achlys

I don't mind minimalist tarot decks, but it would depend on how minimal and the style of the minimalistic art.

I just purchased the Ritual Abuse tarot deck...Talk about minimalist!
But it reads beautifully for me...
Meanwhile, the Wild Unknown tarot has never spoken to me in the slightest.

I don't think it's either a good or bad thing; Rather, like with most artwork, it just comes down to personal preference with each reader.

Myrrha

I usually use Robert Place's visual system, looking for the interactions between cards, so the minimal ones like Tarot Nova or anything that is all landscapes wouldn't work well for me but neither would something like the Illuminata with so much exquisite detail in each card.

The Marseilles pips do seem to have direction and flow so I can use them but with modern pip decks I would have to use a different reading method.

FaintlyMacabre

I saw a review in the Gallery for The Celestial Stick People which called it minimalist and compared it with the the RWS. (I was looking to see what CBD stood for - CBD as it turns out which I think I knew before.)

I likely shouldn't admit this but I hadn't looked at a RWS for a long time and I had forgotten how much "stuff" was on those cards. The High Priestess always looks like her head should fall off.

Diana

Simple

I am finding that I don't like minimalist decks, for the most part. This may be because I'm a tarot beginner, or it may be because I have spent most of my life analyzing literature and reveling in details. I don't know. Abstract art doesn't do much for me, either. There has to be enough of a story on the card that I can get something from it - abstract symbols don't tell me anything. (I was terrible at literary theory for the same reason.)

That said, there are also quite a lot of decks that I find too "busy." There is so much going on in a card that it's like being in a crowded room with no quiet corners. My two current decks seem to both have a nice balance - the Victorian Fairy Tarot and the Green Witch Tarot. The artwork is gorgeous and tells plenty of stories, plus they have enough symbolism on each card that I'm not struggling to remember suits and meanings. If I can imagine stories about the figures in the cards, and associate those with the cards' meanings, I do better. Tarot of the Hidden Realm, Tarot Mucha, and the Mona Lisa Tarot are all on my list as decks that seem to have similar qualities.

On the other hand, though, I find the Pagan Otherworlds stunning. There seems to be enough in the way of humans, animals, and symbolism on the cards of that deck that I can still read it.

I feel the same way!!! I don't care much about abstract art. I want a deck that tells me straight up what's going on without much digging.
On the other hand, too busy deck like Illuminati overwhelms my eyes and I can't focus. Also, I'm not fond of computer art, so it might plays a factor.

Maybe I'm already set in my way? I just need a simple deck that has a nice balance between "too much" and "too little"

Green Faerie

I feel the same way!!! I don't care much about abstract art. I want a deck that tells me straight up what's going on without much digging.
On the other hand, too busy deck like Illuminati overwhelms my eyes and I can't focus. Also, I'm not fond of computer art, so it might plays a factor.

Maybe I'm already set in my way? I just need a simple deck that has a nice balance between "too much" and "too little"

It's nice to know I am not the only one! :D I, too, don't care for a lot of the computer art that I've seen, though there have been one or two decks that have been exceptions. And there are so many decks that are "busy," where there is so much happening in the cards that I can't pick things out of them. The Romeo and Juliet Tarot, for example, has so many details on each card that the cards look like kaleidoscopes to me. (And it makes me sad, because I LOVE Shakespeare.)

staticfuzz

Just like with the wider world of decks, some "minimalist" designs I like and some I don't. I am really glad that there are so many indie decks being published these days, even if not all of them are to my style. I like seeing people doing new things with the old system.

Maveriker

As a designer of a minimalist deck (The Orbifold Tarot), I can speak to some of the reasons why a creator might do one, and what at least my intent behind minimalism is, and some of the challenges faced by minimalist designers.

First, minimalist art in general is not necessarily faster than more complex art, in planning, design, or production. Minimalism is about refining an idea to its essence, so that even complex ideas can be communicated simply and clearly, while still containing depth and nuance — this is no easy task!

Speaking from experience, although my deck was relatively quick to design initially, its simplicity proved to also be the one of the very same things that caused production (post-design!) to take nearly 9 months.

With very few elements to communicate with, those elements and their accuracy and precision become EXTREMELY important — that minimalism is far less forgiving than when there are more elements to the design. Everything has to be "just so" and a change of half a mm here, or colour saturation there makes all the difference. Designs with more going on in them have their challenges too, I am usually doing more illustrative art, but these can also be a little more forgiving in some ways.

For the Orbifold, my main intent was in creating something that digs under the tarot structure and reveals its blueprint. It was not about limiting tarot to a few key words (although I do find doing so to be a useful part of the process in both design and reading), it was about opening up the themes in such a way that readers are not "stuck" with one depiction of a particular theme — the abstraction, mixed with the essence of name, gives the reader much more freedom.

For beginners, I do understand how this could seem too obscure to understand, intimidating even. I remember I certainly was intimidated by pip decks early on, and I WANTED PICTURES to tell me what the card meanings were so I wouldn't have to keep referring back to the books.

But eventually, I learned that the tarot structure is, at its base, very simple — if you can observe where threes occur in life, in cracks in the sidewalks, in how branches and certain flowers grow, in how groups of people or animals behave when there are three of them, how we delineate things into triads, how we use threes in language and repetition, and then do the same for all numbers from one to ten, then you can understand ANY tarot number.

Then, relate to each of the elements: Fire can be an easy one, so investigate where heat and light show themselves in life, in our language, in our interactions and descriptions of things... then pair that with your number and voilà! You have all the minors.

So in many ways, an abstract or minimal deck can be the best place to start for a beginner because you will understand tarot's STRUCTURE rather than relying on the pictures, and viewing them as 78 images that seem at first to be unrelated.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I love my image-heavy decks too, but these are some of the advantages I see in minimalist decks, and a start at explaining what inspired me to create one :)

lagomorph

another minimalist deck is the dreslyn tarot, very abstract with just black lines and circles on a white card.

not quite as minimal is the golden thread tarot (app and physical deck), whose designs are also somewhat geometric. the physical deck is arguably more minimal than the app version because the lines are in only one colour rather than 2 colours in the app.

i find both of these beautiful, but as a beginner i'm not sure i'd be able to read with them.

AJ

I think there's a connection between the trend for eliminating lots of card details and the "oracle-isation" of tarot. It's like people are tired of the RWS and just want cards to mean anything whatsoever. Minimalism enables you to do this. I think the two phenomena are connected.

my sense is, at least in the artists who come here to show progress on their decks, is many of them aren't familiar with the history and symbology, hence the minimal art. I haven't bought any of them, I have lovely oracles for making things up, my tarot I like to talk to me.