Mixing 2 decks together question

TeaBiscuts

I am a proud owner of three awesome decks

My first Favorite is the Thoth
2nd Favorite is Tarot of Vampyres - Thoth based
3rd favorite is the PCS deck - RWS

I am a newbie, I have my perfect deck Thoth, as mentioned in another thread I posted about me using both Thoth and RWS deck to learn with, I then thought that I would include my 2nd fav deck as well. by this afternoon I ended up taking RWS and Vampyres and mixing them together, I pulled out the card that I didn't like or understand and switched them with cards I do understand, making 1 deck out of 2, that to me will work better with my study of Thoth.

Here is my Question: I'm stuck on the court cards need help?

RwS knights , kings, pages

Tarot of Vampyres
lords = these cards have horses just like the Thoth knights
Prince
Daughters

so which cards fit where, RWS vs Thoth?

Grigori

I don't know the Tarot of the Vampyres, so am making a guess.

I look at "the guy on the horse" as being the same sort of fellow in different decks, doesn't matter if he is called King, or Knight, or Lord or whatever. So for me the RWS Knight is synonymous with the Thoth Knight (who is the same as the Golden Dawn King, who also rides a horse).

The Prince is usually the guy in a chariot (i.e. if the King/Knight on his horse and the Queen in her throne mix their qualities together, the result is a chariot, a moving throne). In the RWS there is no court on a chariot, so for me the King is the nearest equivalent. I would guess the Vampyres Prince is most similar to the RWS King and the Thoth Prince.

WolfyJames

I have the Tarot of Vampyres and the Lords are fire so they are the Knights in the Thoth and the Princes are air so they are the Princes in the Thoth. So in the RSW, Lords (Vampyres) / Knights (Thoth) = Knights in RWS, and the Princes (Vampyres) / Princes (Thoth) = Kings in RWS.

TeaBiscuts

Sweet, thanks a lot you two, you've been a gr8 help, I'm so stoked, I really enjoy the book/boolet that came with the Thoth and The Tarot of Vampyres. RWS book well that just confuses the **** out of me....lol I really like mixing the 2 decks it works good with the Thoth following the Thoth booklet and Book T.

added: my new RWS deck nolonger reminds me of my EX marriage that was abusive after switching the suit of swords with the suit of knives from the Tarot of Vampyres....lol

terow

I did that too.. I mix reading from Thoth, Via and Sweet Twilight in one question,
awesome! :D

Because I think thoth is not too suitabel for love life reading, too cold, and that can be complementary with Via that more soft and sweet twilight that have deep romance..

Richard

For what it's worth, here is the usual way the elements are associated with the Crowley and Waite court cards, in spite of the divergence in the use of horses and chariots in the images. At least this is the way it is in the sources I use. I don't know how it is in the Vampyre deck.

http://home.windstream.net/rlsaylor/elements.jpg

poopsie

Mixing The Deck

Hi everyone, I have a question on mixing the deck. Actually, it's more because of a friend so I am posing this as a curiosity. She owns a Rider-White and the Thoth. Her mixing the deck includes really mixing them in one reading -- she would put the cards together and shuffle them as if they were one deck and pick the cards depending on the number of questions in a reading. Then she first does her individual interpretation of the cards and then re-arranges them so that she has a second interpretation which according to her, is like a summary of insights gathered from the first.

I am not familiar with rules on shuffles and spreads ... I need some tips from anyone of you. Now, if you're asking me -- has this helped her? Is she satisfied with her readings? My observation is: sometimes she's happy, and there are times, she is also confused because she sees some inconsistencies and conflicts in her manner of interpreting.

I would appreciate comments and "advice" on this one.

brightcrazystar

The idea of mixing a Rider Waite and a Thoth deck to read is possible. Anything is possible. My question is this: is it any more useful?

My understanding of these decks would lead me to conclude probably not. It would be distinct, but not more informative. Also, there are *great* differences between them, and the way they are read. And not just the usual supects - for example, both Waite and Crowley attribute "Aleph" to the Fool. But even what "Aleph" means contextually is far different, furthermore - it is not my opinion either of their interprertations is necessarily the definitive answer for you or anyone else.

Look at Waite's fool, who approaches the Cliff unaware of the danger; while Crowley's Fool has taken the plunge; He is in mid-fall or flight, Who's to say?

Look at Waite's Magician, who readies to begin his work by preperation, while Crowley's balances precariously on the path of the infinite, defiant of the mad ape, and already at a certain pinnacle of achievement. It's rather like the difference between Crowley and Waite. Crowley is simply going farther, and at the encouragement and with the assisted direction of Lady Frieda Harris.

The difference between the RWS and the Thoth is, basically, the Thoth is fully vested in the process that the RWS alludes to. To me, it is very blunt, like a book on anatomy by an erotically mystic poet, while the RWS is like a commentary with a reservation to completely submit to a unresticted view, but from a detached point of inspired perception.

Richard

I would have a lot of trouble with an RWS-Thoth mix. Those two decks have entirely different ambiences, particularly in the Majors. I need to be either in a Thoth mode or a Waite mode in order to read the corresponding decks appropriately. While both decks have some Christian influence, Waite and Crowley come from entirely different traditions: Roman Catholic versus Plymouth Brethren. Waite apparently had a fairly comfortable relationship with Christianity, while Crowley (understandably) did not. I think this is reflected in their writings as well as their respective decks. There are certainly other differences as well.

Of course, if one ignores the meanings intended by the decks' designers (which seems to be the case with most Tarot readers), then any two arbitrary decks should work as well, such as the Gnostic Gnomes and Celtic Cats decks.

graspee

I can see why someone might (although this wasn't the method anyone mentioned) want to use the Thoth majors with RWS minors, because the non-scenic minors are not what a lot of people want. In that particular case I would recommend looking into Liber T instead, although the minors' scenes are based then on an entirely different tradition.

Non-mentioned problem solved! (I could be a new type of superhero, solving crimes which don't exist, kind of minority report except more so).