money for readings.

Mythic

Value your work...

I don't read for a fee and almost certainly never will (but also won't read for strangers--I would not call fellow forum members strangers), but I am happy to share my advice anyway....

I value the following advice at the rate of one Tarot reading.

I do speak from some experience with two other fields which are often given away, much to the detriment of all involved.

If you are delivering a service at a professional level for a stranger, there should be an exchange of value to show respect for your work, both for your sake and that of the querent, too. It is also unfair to those who have developed a professional level of skill if you give it away: you are devaluing your work and theirs, because you are saying it is free of charge and, hence, has no value.

If you are doing it for practice, that is fine. If you are doing it as an act of sharing in the Tarot community or any other community you participate in, that is good. If you are donating to a charity you believe in, praises be upon you. But if you have taken it upon yourself to study, work hard and develop the skills, you (and your customer) should value your work and the Tarot.

In my experience, the easiest way to overcome the problem is to state and collect your fee up front and offer 100% satisfaction or your money back. If they really don't like it, return their money. I think you will be pleased to find that they do not ask and you will begin to value your work.

I strongly suggest your read Greer and what she has to say about ethics and asking and clarifying questions. Or the same material in "Tarot tells the Tale". Don't take questions about matters that belong to other professions like doctors, lawyers, tax advisors, etc.

If my advice is not satisfactory, you don't have to pay for it :).

Minotauro

It is also unfair to those who have developed a professional level of skill if you give it away: you are devaluing your work and theirs, because you are saying it is free of charge and, hence, has no value.

this!

If you are doing it for practice, that is fine. If you are doing it as an act of sharing in the Tarot community or any other community you participate in, that is good. If you are donating to a charity you believe in, praises be upon you. But if you have taken it upon yourself to study, work hard and develop the skills, you (and your customer) should value your work and the Tarot.
and this!

it's after all time you're investing on it , besides I have to say just threatehing to charge makes my friends back off a little bit when they want readings too often , becaus ethey know it is important and not something they can ask for every little thing.

DownUnderNZer

I read as I like to but have never charged and more than likely wont...but I dont do it often...and not many of my friends know that I do, but my family does.

Why do you think I dont tell many? Read me, read me, read me!!!! That is why...

When you are giving up your TIME and providing a SERVICE...there is nothing wrong in charging...it comes down to each individual and her/his belief system and experience. If you are good at what you do....just like a psycholigist, accountant, doctor...nothing wrong in being paid for what you provide.

The crowned one

I have a hard time taking money BEFORE a reading in a casual environment. Not so much after. I have always been more comfortable with "gifts" : wine, lunch, a book then cash, but I have always enjoyed the cash best after the fact.

I was subtlety offered a chance to read professionally at the spiral in Fan tan alley just a few weeks ago and declined, I guess that says where I am at with payment and belief. I prefer to divine and fortune-tell over "help someone improve their life through the cards", I have a formal education in that field and tarot is not my tool of choice. When I do use it for that it is just to open up a dialogue, not to offer hope or solutions. Letting cards dictate ones internal happiness or mental heath would be silly.

Reading tarot for me is fortune telling only; by choice. It is what I enjoy the most using the cards for, and one of my more complex escapes from the day to day as it is a learned thing for me, not a gift from the beyond.

I am all for money for reading, but I find it hard to set a price before the reading, in spite of the fact that my time does have a minimum value... My reading's because of my style have some objectivity in them, but ultimately the sitter will be subjective and so the value of the reading's worth is theirs to decide for me, but if it does not meet my "time value" at that given period it will likely be the last reading for them I do.

VGimlet

If I was reading in an environment where I was competing with other readers I would charge money, to be fair to them.

However, my readings for others are usually a very casual affair, and in situations where I would not charge money for anyway. (Work, for friends, as a favor to folks at a party or meeting.)

I have been offered money, but haven't accepted as the situation wasn't one I would have been comfortable taking money for.

I was offered a spot in a psychic fair, but I won't accept when I can't commit to being there for every one.

nisaba

i have been giving tarot/medium readings for a little while now about 2 years or so, but i dont charge money for them. anyone else feel guilty for taking money after a reading? if someone really wants to pay me i tell them to make a donation to a charity with the money. anyone else feel this way??

Nope, but you can feel this way if it helps you.

If a plumber really likes doing plumbing, we don't expect him to fix our pipes for free. If a priest has a spiritual calling to his church, we don't expect him to lead a congregation for free. If a pilot really crazy-loves flying, we don't expect him to fly airliners for free. Why should we be any different?

I donate 25% of everything I earn in face-to-face readings, but that is my choice, and makes up for me not <koffkoff> paying tax on it <koffkoff> most of the time. At least I know it will do good in the community, and won't just line obscenely rich politicians' pockets.

KMilliron

I don't charge for readings because I'm not professional by any stretch of the imagination. I do free readings for my friends all the time, and they usually repay me. I don't charge for a lot of stuff I do, but I get paid back in the end.

Free promotion of other local bands -> more exposure for my band
I do free artwork for my friends band -> I'm on the guest list for a lot of shows
Babysit for my friend -> She gives me energy drinks
Fix things up around the house here -> They let me live rent free

You get the pattern. What I get for tarot readings depends on the person. It's usually food, or a place to crash if things get rough at home. One guy taught me this weird self defense move, haha.

SunChariot

i have been giving tarot/medium readings for a little while now about 2 years or so, but i dont charge money for them. anyone else feel guilty for taking money after a reading? if someone really wants to pay me i tell them to make a donation to a charity with the money. anyone else feel this way??

Nope not me, I do charge for my readings. Although I get paid before a reading, not after it. Why would it be wrong for us to be paid? What we are doing is helping others feel better and to help them solve problems. We perform a service that helps people. We study years to get the skills to do what we do. We're the "experts" at what we do.

I know we are not therapists and if someone actually needs that kind of help we should of course refer them to the professionals. etc. But in another sense you can see the similarity. People in other fields charge to help people feel better and solve their problems....therapists, counselors... It is a valuable service. A needed one. And if you study a long time to reach a level of proficiency in something, then to me you have the right to charge. Of course you need to reach a certain level of proficiency first. I would not personally suggest charging when you are still new to Tarot and still learning the ropes, as it were.

We're not forcing people to pay. those who find it a valuable enough service to pay for will do so, those who don't, won't. So the people who do pay will be the ones who beleive thet are getting good value for their money and will see it that way.

Or if the issue is that Tarot is a spiritual thing...spiritual counselors get paid too: Priests, Rabbis,...are all paid for their services as well.

Babs

Rev_Vesta

It totally depends on circumstances and how each of us feel personally......

If you are paying for stall space at fairs, expos, in a store yes definately charge at a cost that assist in paying for space....

If you are paying phone line, internet usage, web page, business cards, flyers, stationary etc.... yes definately charge a price for the service offered......

If you are paying any cost for delivering the service charge a cost so you are able to continue offering that service, but occassionally if you wish to you can offer a few freebies, a sliding scale....

If you are offering Readings to friends, family on a real casual basis for practice and learning and you offer to them so you can practice then no do not charge......

Overall it is totally up to the Reader to what they do.......Think about your experience in what you have personally achieved to get where you are right now.....How competant are you in reading Tarot or oracle cards? What has the feedback been like from friends, family and strangers? Are you calm and relaxed when reading or flustered and real nervous? These are all things to take into account when thinking about charging for the service of Tarot Reading....

I did not charge while I was learning and getting experience but
I charged when I was reading at expos and fairs... I continued to charge when I created a business from home and then when I created a store in town to read from.....

JCSeawright

not at all

i use to read for free for practice and did that for about 2 years until... i had people wanting me to do it every other day and it got to the point it ended up being a part time job so now i charge $20 dollars per reading i do and sit with them as long as theyd like and do as many questions as theyd like and though alot of people tell me it isnt very much to charge people i find i make alot of money by being affordable to go to whenever someone has a question or concern come up. i dont feel bad mostly because those of which i read for dont feel bad for waking me at 3am to come see them to read and dont mind using my gas to have me come read for them either.