Morgan Greer 'Two of Rods'

Little Baron

I may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but I have to say that I have never noticed the other person in this card until today. I can't think why; I just don't ever remember them being there.

Does anyone have any ideas about the second person and what the curious tatoo or marking on the glove may be? Also, in the companion book, is there any mention of the flowers and their symbolic reference?

Best,
LB

Emily

Hi LittleBuddha,

The book mentions the second hand giving the youth a second rod which is not as leafy as the one he already holds. The flowers are on a shield that the youth, I would have said man but it does say youth in the book, is holding. They are red roses and white lilies, crossed over one another. The red roses refer to desire and nature and the white lilies to abstract thought. The cap that he wears refers to thought and the feather to faith. Indirectly quoted from The Book of Tarot. :)

Edited to add:-
Just realised how similar to the Aquarian Two of Rods the Morgan Greer version is.

There is alot more information about this card in the book 'Spiritual Tarot' - I've never read it all the way through though - maybe time I started :)

WalesWoman

Two of Rods is often about the offering of something, usually a partnership or perhaps a loan, some sort of bargain or barter, and with that rod not being quite as leafy as the one he holds in his hand, that it may not be to his best interest to take it.

Some times I see that globe in his other hand as if he's trying to scree a crystal ball, as if it will show him what the future will look like but it is opacue, he can see nothing in it, other times I see it as he is thinking "What a small world after all!"

Or sometimes, that this little globe just isn't big enough for all that he wants and desires and he just isn't satisfied with it or anything else. Sometimes it looks like a precious pearl and he wonders at it's value. Sometimes that other hand is offering his wand in trade and he ponders whether it is acceptable or not.

Wands as fire/ the creative force of desire and attainment, success that isn't content with status quo, there is always something more just over the horizon. Sort of like feeling that the grass is always greener on the other side.

Emily...if you have more information about this card from another book...share!!!

Emily

Quoted from 'The Spiritual Tarot'

The Key phrase for this card is:- the inner stirrings that lead to creation.

The cloak of the man in the Morgan Greer is clasped by a red and yellow brooch at his heart chakra, signifying the ability to infuse passion and understanding into new plans. This card speaks of choices and potential new partnerships represented by the hand of the unseen person.

This card is a two so it represents two different aspects, of view of a situation, a suggestion to consider other possibilites before taking action. This is a card of preparation. Unquote.

This book also mentions the shadow aspect of the card:- dissadisfaction, not being able to move forward, boredom, failure to recognise your fear of the unknown.

There is more in the book but its two pages long and small writing lol

Pipistrelle

This is one of those cards that I always have trouble grasping the meaning of and despite everyone's offerings in this thread, my understanding of it is still a bit wispy (I think I get it, but then it's gone :))

The LWB says something like (don't have it to hand at the moment):
"Though power and dominion are in one's grasp...one is still forlorn." Does that make sense to anybody?

I know that I won't "get" this card until I sit down and write about it...so I'll try to squeeze in some time later to do that. Maybe I'll have some insights to offer this thread then.

In the meantime, I would be very interested to hear more thoughts.

Pip

WalesWoman

Pipistrelle said:
(I think I get it, but then it's gone :))

The LWB says something like (don't have it to hand at the moment):
"Though power and dominion are in one's grasp...one is still forlorn." Does that make sense to anybody?
Look at it like this, as something you really wanted and worked really hard to get and then once you have it...leaves you feeling sort of disappointed because it doesn't live up to your expectations. Sort like, "be careful what you wish for because you may get it" things...

It's like Christmas, you are so excited about opening the presents and once the last one is gone...there is a hollow feeling, even if you got what you think you wanted...you sort of feel like there should have been something else or maybe you missed something. I see it with the kids all the time, still looking to see if there is one last overlooked gift hiding behind the tree. Reality can rarely live up to our fantasized expectations.

Or how about how we think we will be happy once something in particular happens and then it happens and we still aren't happy...or satisfied. I think in a way it's about believing our desires will bring us what we want and aren't understanding that the real satisfaction doesn't come from outside sources, but from within ourselves. If we think that emptiness within ourselves can be filled by something or someone else, we will never find that sort of satisfaction with anything or anyone.

In a way this guy is weighing the value of everything and not finding a balance. Close but not quite IT.

Emily

I always think that the globe he holds represents the world, and changes he can make for himself, sort of like he holds his world in his hands, its up to him to make the changes. I didn't realise until I read back what I'd posted yesterday but two= choices. So maybe getting this card in a reading would be pointing towards a choice you would have to make, maybe involving other people too.

Pipistrelle

WalesWoman said:
Look at it like this, as something you really wanted and worked really hard to get and then once you have it...leaves you feeling sort of disappointed because it doesn't live up to your expectations. Sort like, "be careful what you wish for because you may get it" things...

It's like Christmas, you are so excited about opening the presents and once the last one is gone...there is a hollow feeling, even if you got what you think you wanted...you sort of feel like there should have been something else or maybe you missed something. I see it with the kids all the time, still looking to see if there is one last overlooked gift hiding behind the tree. Reality can rarely live up to our fantasized expectations.

Or how about how we think we will be happy once something in particular happens and then it happens and we still aren't happy...or satisfied. I think in a way it's about believing our desires will bring us what we want and aren't understanding that the real satisfaction doesn't come from outside sources, but from within ourselves. If we think that emptiness within ourselves can be filled by something or someone else, we will never find that sort of satisfaction with anything or anyone.

In a way this guy is weighing the value of everything and not finding a balance. Close but not quite IT.

Thank you for explaining this WalesWoman...it certainly is starting to make more sense. It's like he asked for the world and then got it, and now he's comparing the world he's got (the globe in his hands) with his vision of it and going, "hmm...kind of on the small side, isn't it?" Or at least, that's partially it :)
There comes a point when all the different aspects to a card form into a coherent whole and I'm just not there yet with the Two of Rods (oh and soooo so many others!) But I'm getting there...

I think that you only really start to understand a card when it has appeared in a few readings and you understand its meaning within the context of those readings...until then, it's hard to think of it in any terms other than keywords or "oh well, so-and-so described this card as...."

Which sounds to me like a perfect excuse to do more readings...wa-hey!

Pip

P.S. You explained this very clearly - the bit about Christmas especially was very easy to understand :)

WalesWoman

Yeah, it seems everytime I think I have things nailed...something in a reading gives it a whole new twist. That's the thing for reading Tarot, I think, is to stay flexible, allow for new possibilities you didn't expect.

LOL I just thought of another 2 Wands example: ordering from a catalog description or online!!! You think you know what you are getting, until it's actually in your hands and you are thinking "Wait a minute...it didn't look this way in the picture." That really goes well with your description. Cool!

Sulis

This is what I've got in my journal:

I see the start of a partnership.
He looks as though he's offering the sphere to the person we can't see. The globe or sphere represents big ideas.
They hold a wand each - combined energies, combining resources.
Lilly and rose on the shield - spiritual and physical coming together. Could also indicate choices; choosing between 2 things.
His hat looks like an envelope and is very similar to the hat worn by the Page of Swords.
There are acorns on the wands - Acorns are seeds - seeds = potential.
Red, square brooch on his cloak:- From 'Spiritual Tarot' - 'Red and yellow square brooch over the heart chakra signifies the ability to infuse passion (red) and understanding (yellow) into new plans.

My keywords for this card:
Choices, potential, big ideas, partnerships, energies combined / coming together.
Key phrase from 'Spiritual Tarot' - 'Inner stirrings that lead to creation'

Love

Sulis xx