Morgan Greer - Whats with the headgear??

Jewel-ry

OK,

Whilst looking through my Morgan Greer I wondered what the significance was of some of the weird headgear, then I went and looked at a few of my other decks and some of those are the same. My question is 'What, if any is the significance of the headgear in tarot decks?' Any one else ever wondered that?

J.

Rusty Neon

Which cards, which deck, what kind of headgear are you referring to?

I took a look at the 9 of Rods, Knight of Rods, and King of Rods of the Morgan-Greer deck. In those cases, the headgear looks like medieval military headgear, in keeping with the medieval sub-theme of that deck.

Myrrha

I love the Queen of Swords' hedgehog hat. To me it seems to say that for all her straightforward, airy manner she is deeply sensitive and can easily become prickly and defensive .

The Page of Swords wears a hat that looks like a letter folded up. comminications? Messages?

The Page of Cups wins the prize, I love that hat! It is the same one in the RWS. Not sure what it means. It reminds me of the flowing cloth bib that the Valet of Cups in the Etteilla deck uses to cover his cup with. And isn't the Page of Cups in the Visconti Sforza also covering his with a cloth? But here the cloth is removed, so we can see the surprise fish.

--Myrrha

edited to add: oops, the long veil over the cup appears in the Marseilles and Wirth decks but not Visconti

Jewel-ry

OK Rusty Neon,

I'll give you the medieval military headgear but what about the King Cups? King Swords? Queen Swords? Queen Pentacles? Furthermore the three of rods looks like the back of someone out of star trek or star wars? I just wonder if some of the more 'unusual' headgear has some kind of relevance that I've not heard of.

J.

Emily

Hi Jewel-ry,

The book does mention the Pentacle King and his helmet - the horns sticking up are the horns of Taurus and that is just about all that is mentioned lol - I hadn't really took much notice of the headgear of the court cards but I might check a couple of symbol dictionaries to see if I can pick up anything else, like the shells on the Cup Queen and the Dragon on the Rod Knight - really all of these little details should be included in a better book on the Morgan Greer, this deck deserves better than the book offered in the book/deck sets.

Jewel-ry

I totally agree, Emily! But then if we could read it all in a book maybe it would take the fun out of those aaaaahhhhh moments!

J.

Emily

I know what you mean Jewel-ry, its fun working with these cards - sometimes I just lay the ones out I usually have trouble reading and just listen to what the images tell me.

Usually its not what you would expect lol - My latest revelation came with the Devil card, as I was looking at it, thinking what a useless card it was for portraying the aspects of the Devil, a thought came into my mind to blow his candle out lol and he would disappear - and that would be choice. This at least made me think of one aspect of the card . :)

Myrrha

Hi Emily, I love that vision of blowing out the candle in the Devil card, :). It is missing some aspects of the Devil for me as well.

I have taken some books about flower symbolism from the library and am enjoying looking up the flowers in this deck.

It does seem though like the symbols change their meanings when they are in a spread with other cards and a question to give context.

--Myrrha

WalesWoman

No one mentioned that layer cake on the Hierophant's head. My best guess is levels of knowledge, steps of enlightenment. Not sure how architecture is these days, but used to be libraries, schools, universities, court houses, capital buildings all had tons and tons of steps, I think it was to create a psychological impact, the more steps the higher the order and more importance.

Jewel-ry

Hi Waleswoman,

I wont be able to look at the Hierophant without seeing a layered cake now!! What a brilliant way of remembering the meaning. At least I wont forget your meanings - levels of knowledge - Great!! Thank-you.

J. :)