Movies...an insight to the spiritual world (part1)

Ramses

Hey folks...
How are you?...Hope you?re all fine!!!

Yeah...at least for me, movies are a great insight to the spiritual world...maybe people are right...maybe "art imitates life, and life imitates art"...I believe that everything in the world, for as simple as it may seem to be, can teach us a lesson, if we really pay attention to it, if we really focus...and movies aren?t different...
So, I intend to start a series of threads (thought-provoking ones, as you folks always say...hehe) where movies are the basis for the discussions...a thread a week, if possible...what do you think?...if you don?t like the idea, just let me know, and I?ll quit doing it right away, ok???

Well...the movies for today?s thread are:
"Autumn in New York"
"Sweet November"

In these movies, the girl is dying of a terrible desease, but she falls in love for a guy...he, in depair for having to wait for the coming death of his beloved one, tries to search for help, a cure, or something like this...but, the girl is already hopeless, and wants to die in peace, without even trying any other kind of treatment...
Should he respect that?...Or should he try everything to save the one he loves???

Well...that?s my question...imagine this situation in the real life...what would you do if you were in his place, or her place?...I simply can?t express what I would feel...if someone I love were dying, and didn?t want to go under a treatment, which gives not much hope, should I respect that?...you know...I think both people in this situation are suffering a lot, but we tend to respect more the wishes of the one who?s dying...why?...Should we ignore the feelings of the one who?s losing the beloved one???...Would he/she be wrong if he/she tried everything to "save" the beloved, disrespecting his/her wishes?...

What do you think???...What would you do???

Well, this is it...

P.S.: to the moderators - It may seem to be a chat thread, but it isn?t...ok?...hehe...and, sorry, folks...as it is the first thread of the series, it ended up by being too long....sorry about that...

Liliana

Id respect what they want. I love them, and I want them to be happy,even if it hurts me. Im going to be hurt eventually anyway, so I might as well not hurt the one I love in the process, for nothing more than my own selfish needs

Kiama

Hmmm... Not really sure what I would do, suffice to say I probably would go with what the dying person wanted, after we've talked it over alot, to make sure it is what they really, really want...

I am going to answer your question as to why we respect the dying person's wishes more... I think it is because we always try to make a person's last days as nice for them as possible. Imagine what it would be like to be forced to go through painful therapy which you don't want, only to find it just didn't work... But then, I suppose you would be grateful if it did work! In the end though, it is natural for humans to want the dying person to feel as though they are still human: This involves making decisions and having those decisions respected. We also assume that the person knows best what they need and want, after al, it is them were talking about!

Well, that's just my two pence.

Kiama

truthsayer

it would be so incredibly hard to let go! i know i'd have to find someone more objective outside the situation to discuss it with so that i wouldn't needlessly hurt the dying person. i know intellectually i'd want to respect my loved one's wishes but in my heart i'd be so angry that i'd to lose him/her at all and that s/he didn't want to try to keep living that it would be quite difficult on both of us until i reached some kind of inner resolution!! once i dealt with my anger at the pending loss, i would feel free to cherish my beloved until the end. unfortunately, loving someone makes us a bit selfish until we can come to terms w/ reality. the main thing is to recognize there is a time limit on how long i have to rant, rave and accept. one thing i've learned is that cherished memories of a loved one is the greatest celebration of their life. i wrote a poem once about my grandmother's death. i called it,"last performance". in it i expressed my grief and anger at her passing but ended it in acceptance by saying something like this,"if i had known this was your last performance, i would have given you a standing ovation b/c death is the celebration of life". i still agree with this belief even tho i was only 18 when i wrote those words.

joya250

Ramses, you're correct in saying that everything can teach us a lesson, if we are open to it and focus.... almost every movie I see, song I hear, etc.... teaches me a spiritual lesson... or rather, I should say the same lesson underlies everything, and it is interesting to watch it in all it's manifestations, reinforcing itself. It's a great way to look at the world! :)

but... I digress... :)~

initally, I thought, of course I would respect my loved one's wishes, and let them decide their own fate... but then I read Truth's post... and i realized that I would indeed be angry! Angry at the person for not wanting to try! I would think, what - our love is not enough to live for??? It would be an extremely difficult and emotional situation... I would want to make my beloved last days on earth as peaceful and gentle as possible... but my actions would be betrayed by my underlying current of anger... at the person, at the situation, at death itself....