Music whilst reading

Reverie

Does the process of reading while listening to music enhance your intuition, distract your intuition, or neither?

Although it inspires me for reading, writing, and pretty much any circumstance, I have not yet delved into exploring how it affects my intuition when I read.

Music does get me in the "zone" - so I wonder if it would help my reading, but I'm afraid to try.

I like to be calm and in a slight meditative state when I read.

What do you think?

Farzon

I sometimes listen to music when I read. The last time I listened to a Gothic CD, a thought popped up in my mind: what would be better than a reading with my Bohemian Gothic right now?

And the reading was a very good one. But I have to say, I don't even turn off the music to meditate sometimes. Not even Hard Rock could distract me from meditation. Sometimes it even helps [emoji1]

Apollonia

Light Classical or New Age has no effect either way, but I prefer silence. I can't listen to music that has words while I'm reading because I'm clairaudient and the words get in the way of what I'm hearing as I read.

Reverie

I sometimes listen to music when I read. The last time I listened to a Gothic CD, a thought popped up in my mind: what would be better than a reading with my Bohemian Gothic right now?

And the reading was a very good one. But I have to say, I don't even turn off the music to meditate sometimes. Not even Hard Rock could distract me from meditation. Sometimes it even helps [emoji1]

Hi Farzon,

That's too funny! Good to hear this. I suppose meditation, yoga, and reading tarot are some of the rare activities I can do without music, so perhaps I should hold onto that ;)

But maybe in the future I will go to the dark side.... Lol :D

Reverie

Light Classical or New Age has no effect either way, but I prefer silence. I can't listen to music that has words while I'm reading because I'm clairaudient and the words get in the way of what I'm hearing as I read.

Very interesting!
I am empathic, and I am still assessing my degree of clairaudience - I tend to receive images and words.

I suppose I don't listen to music while reading for the same reason. I don't want to 'taint' the outcome.

tarotbear

As an author I would never be able to try to write with ANY kind of music playing.

When I had my 'Tarot Reading Room' it had a music system so I could play non-intrusive music as a background - half to calm my head and half to drown out any outside noises, but that, too, was carefully chosen. As far as I had a large classical collection at the time I was very familiar with the music - so it's hard to concentrate on the cards while your mind is humming along to 'Rhapsody in Blue'!

Some people live, sleep, and breathe with heavy metal blaring at ear-splitting levels at all times ... There are times I've wished I was deaf ...

Zephyros

I listen to whatever's playing, I enjoy a wide variety of music. While none of it is distracting exactly, I find that different kinds of music affects my mood and the reading. Personally I find that bluegrass, especially "Appalachian Swing" by the Kentucky Colonels, is actually great for reading in a nice, non threatening atmosphere.

EarthAngel2911

I find certain music, like Loreena McKennitt, will help put me "in the zone," but then I either turn it off or put on some very quiet piano (I tend toward new age piano rather than classical) if I'm going to have any music.

Mostly I prefer quiet, probably since I live with all boys/men that prefer a constant background TV hum. Aaaaiiiiigggghh (Going to the office is actually more relaxing than my house! How sad is that?!?) ;-)

seedcake

I was listening to the music some time ago, it had not any effect but I prefer silence, or normal house sounds - TV, my husband talking with someone by phone or skype. I'm not a kind who needs to have silence or something. I like all the sounds around and when I write down my interpretations, nothing can distract me (except weirdly structured sentence which can happen).

ana luisa

I use music every now and then. From Pink floyd to alan Parsons. And a lot of instrumental but nothing new age. Nothing classical either although I love classical music.