My favorite decks; which are your faves?

gregory1956

Hi there:

I bought my first Rider-Waite deck (as it was called then), new, in 1981. It was the original printing of the 1971 US Games version, and remains my favorite version of RWS. The card stock is quite thick, and the finish is matte, with no shiny coating on the cards. The ink drawings are just the right thickness, and the colors are right in the middle: not too bright and not too muted. Another nice feature is that there is no copyright information at the lower right corner of the cards. The backs of the cards are the blue, black & white plaid pattern that is still used today. Even though I've been doing readings on-and-off for over 30 years, I've managed to keep this deck in virtually brand-new condition, so it still looks as it did when I first purchased it. I'm sure it's a very rare collectors' item now!

More recently (September 2015) I purchased a replica edition of the 1971 printing, copyright US Games. The quality of the images and the plaid backing are the same, but the copyright appears at the bottom right of the cards. Also, even though there's no glossy coating on the cards, the card stock is thinner, which is a bit disappointing.

Subsequently, I purchased the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set version. The ink lines are a little heavier, sometimes overwhelming some of the details, and the cards have an antique look to them, with muted colors -- still, worth using for a reading. In contrast, a few years ago, I bought the contemporary US Games version, and the colors are WAY over the top, particularly the blues, which overwhelm the other colors, and of course, the cards have a VERY plasticized playing-card feel.

Among other decks that are good for readings is the collectors' edition (i.e., the first printing) of the Tarot of Prague. Other decks I have in my collection include the Thoth deck, Night Sun Tarot, Robin Wood Tarot, The Tarot of Dreams, The Tarot of Delphi, The Gilded Tarot, Tarot Mucha, and the Aquarian Tarot.

Although I do readings with all these decks, the deck I always gravitate back to is the first one I bought: the 1981 printing of the Rider-Waite-Smith. Colman Smith's line drawings are well rendered, and the colors seem just right. As well, the thickness of the cards gives them a good feeling when doing readings. It's nice that the deck doesn't have that plastic-like playing-card feel. Just a great-looking deck -- perhaps not the way the deck looked when first printed in 1909, but certainly visually appealing and spiritually meaningful when doing readings for other people.

Any thoughts on your favorite deck, or your favorite version of the RWS deck? Which decks do you have in your collection? Also, any questions about the decks I have, and ones I might recommend?

nisaba

The beauty of having a fairly large collection (which some people think I do), is that I'm always rediscovering half-forgotten lovelies. Just this week, I pulled out the Neuzeit, which I probably hadn't seen or used in two or three years, and fell in love with it all over again. It's not one of my high-rotation decks, but wit its quirky figures reminiscent of the 007 deck, its constant references to Marseilles decks, it's piles of eyeballs and desperately-reaching hands, the precision of its linework, and its unashamed use of colour, it's just lovely, and works extremely well.

In another week or two it'll go back into the seething morass of decks, and something else will catch my eye and enchant me all over again.

nisaba

Oh - welcome to the forum!

yannie

My collection is minuscule compared to others, but I'm content with it being that way. I'm reluctant to be a collector, and each additional deck has to have a purpose for being bought. As a result, I now have one Marsielles-style (no picture pips), one mini for compact travelling and one standard one. Another mini with a reversible back is on its way so I have the option of a more compact reversible too.

One thing common about them all is they're all pre-RWS major arcana - Strength is 11. It's not a deliberate choice; it just so happens that those I'm attracted to have that numbering - which I discover only after taking them out of the box. Also, they're all period art, except XIII Tarot which is gothic baroque photography (but that is still period-style). I don't know why I'm drawn to such art decks, but I am. They're all my favourites for the purposes they serve.

But the Golden Botticelli is my first love...

gregory1956

Most people seem have a deck they go back to

I agree. Each deck seems to have its own place, but there's always one deck that most people go back to, even with other decks in their collection. Sometimes computerized artwork doesn't work so well; I tend not to use those (ex: The Tarot of Dreams), so I always return to the original RWS deck, illustrated by Colman Smith.

Some people knock the Thoth deck, but the meanings that Crowley ascribed to the cards in each suite seem to be more consistent. For example, in the Thoth deck, swords don't necessarily denote aggression, as is the case with the RWS system -- unless you read the RWS cards differently from their usual textbook meanings (i.e., Five and Seven of Swords). If you read the Five, Seven, Nine and Ten of Swords only superficially, you end up with the idea that intellect equals aggression. But if you read the cards as warning signs, perhaps they have a more positive meaning.

The Golden Botticelli deck certainly has a colorful, Renaissance feel to it. The Tarot of Delphi has some great Victorian / Pre-Raphaelite art, although the connections between the art and the card meanings isn't always evident.

Citrin

Well, my collection has grown quite fast during the last year or two. :) I think as I got more comfortable with tarot, started to use it daily (I've studied tarot since 2004 but really got passionate about it in the recent 2-3 year) I also felt more comfortable with new decks. Before I used to study a deck for quite a few months before I felt I could read with it well, but now I often buy new decks that I can basically instantly use and feel at ease with.

My favorites change constantly. The seasons seem to affect me a lot when it comes to choosing what deck to use... Right now I'm quite drawn to the darker decks now that fall is approaching.
If I try to make a favorites list out of the ones I think I will always be extra drawn to it would be these:
Crystal Visions Tarot
Dame Darcy's Mermaid Tarot
Ludy Lescot Tarot
Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot
Standard RWS (I'm a big fan of the original RWS! Such a classic!)
Wild Unknown Tarot

Then again, ten years ago I was sooo in love with the Robin Wood Tarot, but now I hardly ever use it.;) So things can change...

Cocobird55

The Victorian Romantic has been my go to deck ever since it came out.

The Wild Unknown is becoming a close second.

Emily

The Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal is my go to, comfort deck, always around and much loved but I do have other decks that could be classed as favourites too - the Centennial PCS (Commemorative) - both sizes are nice decks, also the Robin Wood, Pagan Cats and just recently the TdM Burdel.

My tarot tastes change but I find that if I have a constant like the Liber T then I don't deck hop like I used to and I spend time to get to know the decks. The Liber T is Thoth based but the others, apart from the Burdel, are RWS so are easier to use. :)

gregory1956

I just checked out some of those decks; new to me!

With so many Tarot decks out now, it's quite the challenge to keep up with them. Most are variations on the familiar Rider-Waite-Smith, but there's a tremendous variety of styles out there in terms of artwork, and a lot of talented artists and illustrators creating new decks every year. I'd never seen images of the Ludy Lescot, but it makes sense that it's published by Lo Scarabeo, which is known for publishing decks with interesting, if somewhat offbeat, themes.

Looking back, it's odd to think that, until 1971 -- when US Games first published the Rider Waite Tarot in the U.S. -- the art of tarot reading had slipped out of the public consciousness.

The Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal obviously draws its imagery from the Thoth deck, which is welcome, since a lot of people seem to dislike the Thoth due to its association with Crowley and Thelema, etc. Nevertheless, the Thoth is good for readings. Again, I always go back to the traditional, original RWS, but I think Crowley got a couple of things right: the meanings of the cards between the suits (i.e., the threes of each suit, the fours of each suit, etc.) are more consistent than the RWS, and each card has both a positive meaning as well as a darker meaning or a warning. The Thoth cards are intended to teach you a lesson, not just tell you that something good or bad is going to happen to you.

Anyway, certainly interesting to see which decks people connect with, and what their "go to" deck is. Good comments on this thread!

Brilliance

Rider Waite
Morgan Greer
New Palladini