My first in-person "gig" - how to prepare/what to bring?

buddhagoddess

Must have been that pinch of nutmeg in my coffee (was out of cinnamon). Yesterday I got an application to work the "Psychic Fair" in Salem this October. I am not sure how many shifts he will give me, but I am going to do as many as I can.

What things are good to bring to these events? Tables, chairs are all provided. I am working on a business card (I can email folks if they want to see it). I am going to bring my Haindl, Sacred Circle, Ananda, Quest, Osho Zen, and Thoth decks. I am also bringing a large quartz point to assist in recharging and cleansing them. A digital timer. Also LOTS of water and tea. Anything else?

Any tips on how to prepare?

BG

Sophie

Bring your cards, a reading cloth and anything you like to have around you when you read (e.g. if you like incense or a special crystal, bring those). And of course - a happy, positive attitude and a calm frame of mind :). You can prepare yourself with some centering/grounding exercises, and breathe well as you start. Drink lots of water - it's good you are bringing some! And perhaps a little snack too.

willowfox

If it was me going, then I would only take one deck to read with and one as a spare in case a card goes awol, a flask of tea and a snack, reading and talking will make you thirsty and hungry. You don't want to clutter up your table with all sorts of things because you will find that the client's mind and eyes will start to wander. Keep it simple to keep their attention firmly on you.

franniee

buddhagoddess said:
I am working on a business card (I can email folks if they want to see it). I am going to bring my Haindl, Sacred Circle, Ananda, Quest, Osho Zen, and Thoth decks. I am also bringing a large quartz point to assist in recharging and cleansing them. A digital timer. Also LOTS of water and tea. Anything else?

Any tips on how to prepare?

BG

I like the crystal and timer and water and tea....bring a power bar or something of that sort.... something to recharge you - you will get tired and hungry. I think a cloth is a great idea and if you feel like it a candle to add a little mystery. :D

I agree in part with Willow - you do have a lot of decks there....I would reduce it to two - you don't want to totally schaust yourself.... I brought 2 the victorian romantic and the gilded for the people the Vic ro didn't appeal to and I let them pick it. But if you feel comfy with them go for it!

definitely bring CARDS! and pass them out! :)

Best of luck to you!!! :heart:
f

Moonbow

I don't read at functions, I usually read from home, but I always provide a pad and pencil for the client to jot things down while we are talking. Some choose not to use it but it's there if they decide to and most will like something to take away with them other than your business card (most important!).

You may want to put some kind of notice on your table with your name and contact details as there may be other people milling around who could jot down a contact number. I'm thinking of this from a the point of view of the client as I have walked around a room and sussed out which reader I connect with.

It's a good idea to take several decks in case something happens to one. I don't give a choice to the readee any more but some readers will let the client choose the deck.

I always have water on the table for both of us. And even though you have a timer it is sometimes difficult to bing things to an end so think of a way to 'wrap it up'. My first client was with me so long that my hubby thought he'd have to put her up for the night. And, payment, decide whether you want paying up front or afterwards.

willowfox

Moonbow* said:
And, payment, decide whether you want paying up front or afterwards.

I think at fairs it is always wise to take the payment up front.

Grizabella

It's getting to be the season for colds and flu so I think some hand sanitizer would be good to take with you, too. You can discreetly sanitize your hands now and then just to be safe.

My personal preference is not to take a lot of decks along. One or two is plenty. Sitters are a lot more interested in getting their reading than in having umpteen decks to have to choose from, I've found.

celticnoodle

just here to wish you the best of luck buddhagoddess! That is so cool!!!

Dwaas

Also make your home nice for when you come back. You might feel a bit exhausted. Make it a good place for rest, with perhaps a very nice drink, some food and a warm bath or like that. :) Good luck, you will be fine!

ninashita

Good luck buddhagoddess !

I'm actually on a similar situation. My school is planning on having me and my friend reading the cards at lunch during one or two days on Halloween (student council wants "Halloween-related" activities that week, and although we'd be charging no more than $1-2 -teenagers are cheap- is still some money we can put towards the other activities that need financing -if successful I should be able to do this again at Valentines as a love oracle, or whenever we need fast cash), and then my best friend wants me to go read at her school as well (it's an alternative school of about 100 kids at the most) this one should be a paying one for me, because with the amount of school work I have to do I doubt the goodness of my heart will be willing to miss an afternoon of school for it. Like, I'd love the opportunity, but with two university courses in my timetable I can't afford to miss school due to tarot readings.

Have any of you read for teenagers? I've done tons of practice on random people in class (or in the halls, the cards have been gaining a growing popularity -good ol' gossip I suppose- so now I have random people stopping by my locker after school to ask for a reading). Yet, the most I've read in a day were 5-6 people. Anyone have tips on how to bring a teenager back to earth when they see themselves as being the King of Wands and starting singing "I'm the king! I'm the king!"?