Mythic Oracle

sapienza

I'm not sure if there is a new thread about this but it looks like this oracle deck is being re-released. There is a link here that has some details and also shows the cards. It looks to me as if the double-ups have been changed. The images are the same but one of each of the double-up pairs has been re-named. For example, one of the Aphrodite's is now Helen of Troy, one Zeus becomes Uranus, one Demeter becomes Gaia, one Hermes has become Bellerophon and there are other changes too.

I don't have the original but I'm very tempted to get this new edition.

merissa_88

Really looking forward to the re-release.. I don't know if it will work for me, but i'd like to pair it with the Mythic Tarot for readings.

dreamsofgaia

I am looking forward to the re-release too. I'm waiting for an updated copy to arrive, but I've been told that it looks really good and that the rewrite and changes made add a lot to the deck.

sapienza

My deck arrived just the other day. I never had the first edition so I can't really compare but it seems to be a lovely deck. The card stock is very 'bendy' as it's quite thin but it is laminated and seems to shuffle ok. Unfortunatley the back of one card has a tiny bit peeled back so that card will always stand out which is annoying but not the end of the world. I don't absolutely love the artwork but I do love the Greek Myths and so I'm really looking forward to spending some time with it.

Grigori

Thanks Sapienza, I've been interested in this deck but was put of by the duplicate characters. A new version with the duplicates replaced is much more appealing to me :)

Eowyn Annwyl

I just ordered this. :)

Hathor

Great ! Let us know how you like it Eowyn Annwyl !

Eowyn Annwyl

I love it! It is really beautiful and I am using it for a weekly draw. Every Sunday I draw a card to see what energies will be beneficial for me in the coming week. The last two weeks in a row, I have drawn Heracles!

Kristyjnh

I LOVE this deck! I've always had a thing for Greek Mythology, so the first thing I started looking for when I got into Tarot was a Greek Myth themed deck. Obviously this deck is Oracle, not Tarot, but I'm good with that. I don't even know how well the Greek Myths would have fit into the Tarot paradigm anyway.

The deck is beautiful. I love the art, the cards depict their content exquisitely. I cannot get enough of them. Hephaestus is my favorite card :]

I have only two grievances - Which for a critical sword like me is pretty good! The first is the cards themselves. They're huge, thin, and tend to stick together, which is a shame. My other issue is with the Twin cards, Apollo and Artemis. Their weaponry got reversed. Apollo is supposed to have a golden bow and gold arrows, symbolic of his place as a sun god. There's an entire myth about how Artemis goes about getting her silver weapons, which includes her going directly to the Cyclops underwater (because for some reason silver is easier to forge underwater) and she has to do their leader a favor or something.

Actually I just found the myth, so here it is (I hope it's not too long, I'd have put it under a spoiler code if I could).

Zeus sent for the twins, Apollo and Artemis, on their third birthday. He gave Apollo a golden bow and a quiver of golden arrows which could never be emptied. But he withheld Artemis' gift; he preferred her and wanted her to ask him for things. So taking Artemis onto his lap he asked her what gifts she would fancy. She responded, "I wish to be your maiden always, never a woman. And I want many names in case i get bored with one. I want a bow and arrow too-silver not gold. I need fifty ocean nymphs to sing for me, and twenty wood nymphs to hunt with me. And I want a pack of hounds, fierce, swift ones. I want the mountains for my special places and one city. She smiled at Zeus and said "May I have all these things? May I?" Zeus answered, "For a child like you, it is worthwhile. You shall have all you ask for and more. You shall have the gift of eternal chastity, and also the gift of changing your mind about it at any time, which will help you not to want it. And, finally, the greatest gift of all,: You shall go out and choose your own gifts so that they will have a special value."

Artemis kissed him and whispered her thanks into his ear and went running off to choose her gifts. She went to the woods and to the river and to the ocean stream and selected the most beautiful nymphs for her court. She visited Hephaestus in his smithy inside the mountain to collect her silver bow. Hephaestus said silver is much more difficult to work with then gold, it needs cool light; it should be made underwater. And he sent her deep beneath the sea to the Cyclopes. So Artemis and her nymphs swam underwater to have her silver bow and quiver of silver arrows made. Once the bow was finished she thanked them prettily and returned to land. Holding the silver bow high over her head , screaming with joy, she ran across field and valley and hill, followed by her nymphs with floating hair, laughing and singing. Next she went to Arcadia where Pan was feeding his hounds. He gave her his ten best dogs and Artemis was wild to try out her new gifts. Seeing a tree which had been struck by lightning and was still smouldering she had her nymphs break pine branches and thrust them into the cinders, for night was coming and she wanted light to shoot by. She was too impatient to wait until morning.

Anyway, I really love this deck!

Talitha

This one is very high on my 'wish list'. I absolutely love the Greek pantheon and the artwork looks gorgeous! :)