Need help designing a spread!

Pipistrelle

Hi All,

I would like to do a reading about my creative writing, which is a passion of mine. The situation is this:

For several years I have tried unsuccessfully to write a novel (about four or five to be exact!) I have plenty of ideas and spend most of my life thinking about characters and all the various complexities therein, but when I try to write I get tongue-tied or, rather, finger-tied. I have written fragments here and there but have never really progressed past the first few chapters. It is very frustrating.

I had come to the conclusion that I was doomed to fail...

However, in the last two years I have changed my job and writing is now a big part of the work I do. I am writing creatively for work - mystery stories and game content - and this writing, to my surprise, comes easily to me and is very enjoyable.

So, what I want to uncover is...why the big difference between the two? Why do I find it so easy to write for work - and in my journal, and on forums etc. - and so difficult to write something that really matters to me? (And yes, I realise those words "really matters to me" are probably part of the problem ;)

How can I adopt whatever is working for me in my work writing and use it in my personal projects?

I feel like this perhaps needs some kind of comparison spread, with an advice section but everytime I try to plan something out I get bogged down in the intricacies. I want to study why as much as how can I solve this problem, but I also don't want anything too complex (9 cards is probably my limit). I could also possibly break this down into a series of smaller spreads, each one adding new layers. On the other hand, maybe I just need a "what's the problem, what's the advice" two card reading!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a spread that might work. Or can anyone clarify my ramblings for me into positions/questions I could ask? Writing is the one thing I've always felt drawn to but the one thing I've consistently struggled with, until I started this new job.

I would appreciate any comments :)

Kind thoughts,

Pip

Kimberly

To me it sounds like you're just more loose with your writing for work... it doesn't matter to you quite like the way your novel does. Since you're more at ease when you write it, the words come easily... For your novel, you may be getting nervous just sitting down with the intent to write it -- I know that happens to me with big projects, I keep focusing on how to get it "right" in my opinion that I can't write at all! You need to find a way to calm your nerves when you try and write for your novel.

Here's a kind of spread I would do if I were in your shoes...

• A card for how you feel when you write for work
• A card for how you feel when you write your novel
• A card for what is making you feel different between writing for work and your novel
• A card for how you can help yourself write more easily for your novel

That's about all I would do. Don't know how you'd lay them out, or what order you'd put them in... just thoughts thrown together really.

Hope this helped!

rcb30872

Hey Pip

A way I usually do this, is think of a particular thing, something you have already done. Then start writing down questions which would help you to get what you are looking for, something along the lines of what kimmee has said. I think you have asked a few questions in your post which you could quite easily incorporate into a spread, and if needed, just expand on that a bit more!

Some of the questions I have noticed that you have asked, which could come in handy in your spread would be:
Pipistrelle said:
why the big difference between the two? Why do I find it so easy to write for work - and in my journal, and on forums etc. - and so difficult to write something that really matters to me?

How can I adopt whatever is working for me in my work writing and use it in my personal projects?
And on top of that a few things that you have said, that could be quite important
Pipistrelle said:
I had come to the conclusion that I was doomed to fail...

I have plenty of ideas and spend most of my life thinking about characters and all the various complexities therein, but when I try to write I get tongue-tied or, rather, finger-tied. I have written fragments here and there but have never really progressed past the first few chapters. It is very frustrating.

I feel like this perhaps needs some kind of comparison spread, with an advice section but everytime I try to plan something out I get bogged down in the intricacies
I think even the last section is in relation to the tarot spread, I somehow I get the impression that might also relate to your creative writing - trying to write a novel.

And as in regards to the first statement in this quoted bit, is what it all boils down to, I think you should concentrate on how to improve your self-confidence, you know you can do it, as already stated, but somehow you have this feeling of doomed to fail!!!

Bec

YogaSpider

Doomed to fail?

I think Bec has pointed out your main theme in your situation: Why do you conclude that you are doomed to fail?

Where does your conclusion that you are doomed to fail come from? I would advice you to do a reading on that particular theme cuz it seems to me that is the core.

Think of it as a flower that is closed up, and your answer/liberation is right in the middle of the flower. Try to open up the flower layer by layer and once it is open the sweet scent will take away your blockage. Some suggestions to help you on your way:

Petal 1: what exactly is covering up my flow to write?
Petal 2: Did something in the past happened that took away my self confidence?
Petal 3: This is what tells me how I best should be to uncover all the layers to get to the core.
Petal 4: This is what tells me what I should best NOT do to uncover all the layers to get to the core.
Petal 5: This give me the wisdom to infuse my self confidence
Petal 6: This give me the wisdom how to let go of the doomed to fail feeling.

You know right in the heart of that flower you know that you can do it. You know that you can write. You just have to open up that flower.

Good luck! YogaSpider.

rcb30872

Wow YogaSpider

That looks like a lovely spread!!

If I need a spread made, and can't do my own, I will be coming to you :D

Bec

Catwomyn

While not a specific spread, perhaps using the cards to help work out your story themes? Pick a court card for each main character, pick a card to represent any significant events in those characters lives. Pick these cards face up. Now shuffle the remaining cards or perhaps use another deck and lay out cards face down for:
how does the character get from one event to another?
what is his/her motivation?
who else is involved?
what are the ties between two or more characters?
how do they relate to each other?

Maybe this will get your creative juices flowing?

Pipistrelle

kimmee said:
To me it sounds like you're just more loose with your writing for work... it doesn't matter to you quite like the way your novel does. Since you're more at ease when you write it, the words come easily... For your novel, you may be getting nervous just sitting down with the intent to write it -- I know that happens to me with big projects, I keep focusing on how to get it "right" in my opinion that I can't write at all! You need to find a way to calm your nerves when you try and write for your novel.
I think this is very true. There seems to be so much more at stake for me where my novel is concerned (despite the fact that if I don't complete the work writing, we don't make any money!)

kimmee said:
Here's a kind of spread I would do if I were in your shoes...

• A card for how you feel when you write for work
• A card for how you feel when you write your novel
• A card for what is making you feel different between writing for work and your novel
• A card for how you can help yourself write more easily for your novel
I like this! Very simple but it gets to the heart of what I was trying to describe in my post. It includes both comparison and advice. I'm definitely going to use this - thank you! See, I just needed someone to straighten out my muddled thoughts for me ;)

kimmee said:
Hope this helped!
Definitely!

Pip

Pipistrelle

rcb30872 said:
I think even the last section is in relation to the tarot spread, I somehow I get the impression that might also relate to your creative writing - trying to write a novel.
LOL - I didn't realise that when I wrote it but yes, you're right, it sounds like it refers to my creative writing as well as this spread!! I get overwhelmed by the enormity of it, I think.

rcb30872 said:
And as in regards to the first statement in this quoted bit, is what it all boils down to, I think you should concentrate on how to improve your self-confidence, you know you can do it, as already stated, but somehow you have this feeling of doomed to fail!!!
I think this is something I haven't really confronted. I'm generally a very optimistic person so I get ideas and with each new idea I get excited about it and start throwing myself into it 100%. But I don't think I really ever, truly, see myself completing any new project. There seems to be something, really deep down and buried, where I just don't believe I will finish. It's not even one of those "inner critic" things, because at least you can hear those guys ;) It's quieter than that, but more solid. I guess I haven't really acknowledged that before. I will try and delve into that a little deeper.

Thanks for the input.

Pip

Pipistrelle

YogaSpider said:
Think of it as a flower that is closed up, and your answer/liberation is right in the middle of the flower. Try to open up the flower layer by layer and once it is open the sweet scent will take away your blockage. Some suggestions to help you on your way:

Petal 1: what exactly is covering up my flow to write?
Petal 2: Did something in the past happened that took away my self confidence?
Petal 3: This is what tells me how I best should be to uncover all the layers to get to the core.
Petal 4: This is what tells me what I should best NOT do to uncover all the layers to get to the core.
Petal 5: This give me the wisdom to infuse my self confidence
Petal 6: This give me the wisdom how to let go of the doomed to fail feeling.

You know right in the heart of that flower you know that you can do it. You know that you can write. You just have to open up that flower.

Good luck! YogaSpider.
Hi YogaSpider!

I love this spread. I can imagine dealing the "petals" out in one pile, all closed up, and then turning them over, one by one, into a flower shape, opening out the flower! I will definitely try this. I think using this spread, as well as the one kimmee suggested, should give me plenty of insights. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend and, if so, I'll let you know how they go.

Thanks, :)

Pip

Pipistrelle

Catwomyn said:
While not a specific spread, perhaps using the cards to help work out your story themes? Pick a court card for each main character, pick a card to represent any significant events in those characters lives. Pick these cards face up. Now shuffle the remaining cards or perhaps use another deck and lay out cards face down for:
how does the character get from one event to another?
what is his/her motivation?
who else is involved?
what are the ties between two or more characters?
how do they relate to each other?

Maybe this will get your creative juices flowing?
Hi Catwomyn,

This is a great suggestion but I don't seem to have any trouble coming up with characters or ideas. My problem seems to be getting my stories onto the page. I have incredible (well, I think so ;)) stories and characters in my head, stories that I'd love to share, but it just seems such a struggle for me. Maybe it's just old-fashioned writer's block, but whatever it is, it doesn't happen when I write for work. So, I'm just trying to transfer some of that magic to my novel writing. Plus, nanowrimo is coming up and it would be nice to actually participate beyond 1000 words this year.... :)

Thanks,

Pip