New Book??

Zephyros

True, and also there is no need to constantly reinvent the wheel. The Duquette book has already been written and considered by many to be the go-to Thoth textbook.

I found, the more I study Thelema, that the Book of Thoth is something of a beginners book in itself. There's loads of stuff that it hints at, but just enough to get you started on understanding the visual commentary on the Book of Law that is the deck. The really stiff Thelemic doctrine isn't in the Book of Thoth. I'm not saying this as a bad thing, merely pointing it out.

I'm inclined to side with Aeon about the new book though. My concern is the same as with Arrien, that people run the risk of mistaking it for "official" stuff and not the personal opinions of the authors.

smw

Thank you for your reply and background explanation to the Thothie saga.

Well, Arrien, Ziegler, Fiebig dared to take in the pictures directly rather than to read them primarily as illustrations of the BoT, Book of the Law and Crowley's other writings (which, anticipating your next question, I call the intellectual approach). I think this is perfectly respectable because Tarot (ancient or modern) is first of all a pictorial language. The symbolism of the Thoth must be able to stand on its own, even if the BoT were tragically lost. It should not be seen as separate from symbolism in general, which is forming a part of the collective unconscious that belongs to all humanity, as Jungian psychology understands. Otherwise, what we see on the Thoth cards would be downgraded from symbols to mere signs, which have much more specific meanings than the latter.

What I understand from what you say here is that because Tarot uses pictorial language and symbols it is a part of the collective unconscious and therefore available to all. That seems reasonable (assuming you agree with Jung). On the other hand some thoughts though. The unconscious according to Jung does not have just the collective, universal aspect but also the personal. Are personal interpretations linked to universal symbols also the property of everyone? It kind of looks to me that Crowley describes symbols with his own flavour... On a basic level I can't help thinking it is kind of yucky to use the results of other people's work and not acknowledge them properly. There also seems something a bit dubious about claiming an entitlement to represent the Thoth tarot, outside the intentions of it's creator, because of your own personal intellectual belief system.

I am not quite with you that if the Thoth doesn't use universal symbols they must be signs. Well, that has been vexing me thanks! :laugh:

JUNG said:
what we call a symbol is a term, name or even a picture, that may be familiar in daily life, yet that possesses specific connotations in addition to it's conventional and obvious meaning. It implies something vague, unknown or hidden from us.......... as the mind explores the symbol it is led to ideas that lie beyond the grasp of reason

In contrast a sign seems to have no underlying meanings just the obvious concrete one, ie an arrow sign to the toilets.

I am not sure so far that the symbols or imagery in the BOT are signs suggested by this. What is interesting though is that although symbols and signs seem clearly different to start with and then things get slippery.

[
JUNG said:
The wheel may lead our thoughts towards the concept of a 'divine' sun, but at this point reason must admit its incompetence; man is unable to define a 'divine' being

This seems to me to be in a similar vein to the descriptions of symbolic imagery in the BOT, where a symbol (a sign in your reasoning) appears to be explained but really is not described fully because the other images or associations given for it are also actually symbols and not entirely knowable.

Crowley does seem to be aware of this unknowable element of symbols. He gives (I think?) an explanation of how symbols are shown and limited according to the differing understandings of the receiver.

Crowleybot said:
the great hierophant, confronted with a thoroughly ambiguous symbol, is compelled......that is one who manifests the mystery- to "diminish the message to the dog" (of reason - book of the Law?)This he must do by exhibiting a symbol of the second order of Initiates. This symbol instead of being universal, and thus beyond ordinary expression, must be further adapted to the intellectual capacity of the particular set of people of whom it is the business of the Hierophant to initiate. Such truth accordingly appears to the vulgar as fable, parable, legend even creed.

Of course, those who take an intuitive/associative ("Jungian") approach don't switch off their thinking (although that's what some would like us to believe :laugh:). .

that is why I was wondering why you divided Thoth purists and the Jungian approach books into intellectual and intuitive, it seemed a tad divisive... I do get your point about practicality though.

Among orthodox Thothies equally well deplored Ziegler however did, time and again, incorporate material from the BoT in his Mirror of the Soul - but I doubt that any of the aforesaid traditionalists read the book thoroughly enough to even notice this.

I have got Zieglers' book. At first I thought I had made a mistake as it seemed to not go at all with Duquette or BOT. Also, I have a mean knee jerk to positive affirmations :joke: maybe as I tend to be negative, I could re think this.

However, I have looked at it recently and although it explores from a different angle, it does seem to be more Thoth based and I could see where some of the meanings and descriptions were coming from.

Michael Sternbach

Hi smw,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Thank you for your reply and background explanation to the Thothie saga.

What I understand from what you say here is that because Tarot uses pictorial language and symbols it is a part of the collective unconscious and therefore available to all. That seems reasonable (assuming you agree with Jung).

Yes, that summarizes my view well.

On the other hand some thoughts though. The unconscious according to Jung does not have just the collective, universal aspect but also the personal. Are personal interpretations linked to universal symbols also the property of everyone? It kind of looks to me that Crowley describes symbols with his own flavour...

According to this, Crowley would be the one with the overly subjective and somewhat limited interpretation of his own deck. That's an interesting twist...

On a basic level I can't help thinking it is kind of yucky to use the results of other people's work and not acknowledge them properly. There also seems something a bit dubious about claiming an entitlement to represent the Thoth tarot, outside the intentions of it's creator, because of your own personal intellectual belief system.

I am not fond at all of the way Arrien downplayed Crowley's fundamental contribution to the deck, ascribing it almost entirely to Harris. Personally, I did and continue to study Crowley's accompanying book and I consider it essential reading for understanding the Thoth in depth.

On the other hand, I like to find what is valuable in whatever I study, and I don't go overboard like some others who disdain anything connected to the Arrien school a priori. Especially Ziegler has proven useful in my practice, not least in my work with psychiatric patients. That's not very surprising, because he wrote his books based on his experience with self-help groups. Tarantino is brilliant too.

Without a doubt, the BoT and other writings related to Tarot by Crowley are the source books for understanding the Thoth as a spiritual system, but they are of less immediate use for readings, overall.

I am not quite with you that if the Thoth doesn't use universal symbols they must be signs. Well, that has been vexing me thanks! :laugh:

In contrast a sign seems to have no underlying meanings just the obvious concrete one, ie an arrow sign to the toilets.

I am not sure so far that the symbols or imagery in the BOT are signs suggested by this. What is interesting though is that although symbols and signs seem clearly different to start with and then things get slippery.

This seems to me to be in a similar vein to the descriptions of symbolic imagery in the BOT, where a symbol (a sign in your reasoning) appears to be explained but really is not described fully because the other images or associations given for it are also actually symbols and not entirely knowable.

Crowley does seem to be aware of this unknowable element of symbols. He gives (I think?) an explanation of how symbols are shown and limited according to the differing understandings of the receiver.

Things easily get confusing in this area, and I am not sure if I made myself understood well enough. Surely, Crowley had a deep understanding of symbolism. But there are some "Crowley purists" out there, degrading what is shown on the cards to mere signs by not allowing to read them as symbols - which entails psychological association, vagueness, even a degree of subjectivity although symbols are in fact a universally understood language. Instead, those purists seem to insist that the images are nothing but some kind of shorthand for concepts in Crowley's complex metaphysical system, therefore quite impossible to properly understand without reference to the latter.

Let's look at a quite arbitrarily chosen example. About the Princess of Cups, Ziegler says: "With great tenderness and gentleness she holds the cup with the turtle in her hand as a hint of the protection she lovingly assures herself and others." This is in tune with the shell like shape of the cup as well as with the turtle shell and tells us directly something about the character of the Princess.

Crowley however gives us a more abstract, esoteric explanation: "She bears a covered cup from which issues a tortoise. This is again the tortoise which in Hindu philosophy supports the elephant on whose back is the Universe." Food for further metaphysical thought, to be sure, but hardly something a sitter can make much practical use of.

Neither view is wrong, nor is there any contradiction between them, they are just different ways to read the symbolism.

that is why I was wondering why you divided Thoth purists and the Jungian approach books into intellectual and intuitive, it seemed a tad divisive... I do get your point about practicality though.

I have got Zieglers' book. At first I thought I had made a mistake as it seemed to not go at all with Duquette or BOT. Also, I have a mean knee jerk to positive affirmations :joke: maybe as I tend to be negative, I could re think this.

Yes, I think this would be well worth your while.

However, I have looked at it recently and although it explores from a different angle, it does seem to be more Thoth based and I could see where some of the meanings and descriptions were coming from.

:)

gregory

Then there's Snuffin's "Thoth Companion" which I haven't read, unfortunately, so can't comment on that.

yes, agreed reviews from others who actually have the book would be more helpful. I tend to think with my nose sometimes on limited information.
I have read Snuffin. I am no Thothy genius, but I found it very good. Practical in use, and not "wrong" in any way that I could see. As a matter of record, when I did the 78 card study on the Thoth, which I know a LITTLE better than before I did it, I did summarise what Banzhaf, Duquette and Snuffin all had to say about each card. If you care to look at any one post of mine there, you can see what they said and whether it worked for you.

But it certainly isn't a Ziegler/Arrien - I've read both those too - I was being thorough ! If you want an enable on it - I'd say buy it.

elektrius

I have read Snuffin. I am no Thothy genius, but I found it very good. Practical in use, and not "wrong" in any way that I could see. As a matter of record, when I did the 78 card study on the Thoth, which I know a LITTLE better than before I did it, I did summarise what Banzhaf, Duquette and Snuffin all had to say about each card. If you care to look at any one post of mine there, you can see what they said and whether it worked for you.

But it certainly isn't a Ziegler/Arrien - I've read both those too - I was being thorough ! If you want an enable on it - I'd say buy it.

hi gregory, id be interested in checking out the card study you did. how may one find it? [emoji4]

gregory

Please note I am NO genius. It's nothing special - but I did use and summarise all three books and BoT as well. But the 78 card study is linked in Using Tarot Cards -

Discussion

Links to the card threads

Many people have done it, about many decks, but my posts (and other thothy ones actually) are to be found. It is a VERY worthwhile thing to do actually. Try it ! I've done it twice, by the way - so when you hit the Revelations first - I am not insane; I went back and repeated it with the Thoth later !

Nemia

Interesting - thank you! I read all those books too - even Ziegler and Arrien although I have to admit that I didn't finish Arrien... but I'm off to read your study thread ;-)

smw

A crossed wire I think :laugh: I meant the ultimate guide to the Thoth book. But thanks for the reply :) I have Snuffin definitely worth buying.

smw

According to this, Crowley would be the one with the overly subjective and somewhat limited interpretation of his own deck. That's an interesting twist...

hmmm... not sure I agree that having a flavour of the personal is overly subjective.... just a recognition of the way the two, personal and collective may interact.

On a maybe related note, I found this interesting.

Jung said:
Primitive tribal lore is concerned with archetypes that have been modified in a special way. They are no longer contents of the unconscious , but have already been changed into conscious formulae according to tradition, generally in the form of esoteric teaching....

he goes on to say

Jung said:
Especially on the higher levels of esoteric teaching the archetypes appear in a form that reveals quite unmistakably the critical and evaluating influence of conscious elaboration

Perhaps then in this light, esoteric teaching within a tarot deck is something a little different from original archetypes (or symbols) that are universally available to all, reflected in the imagery of the deck.

Things easily get confusing in this area, and I am not sure if I made myself understood well enough.Surely, Crowley had a deep understanding of symbolism. But there are some "Crowley purists" out there, degrading what is shown on the cards to mere signs by not allowing to read them as symbols - which entails psychological association, vagueness, even a degree of subjectivity although symbols are in fact a universally understood language.

ok, so it is those that you consider use the Thoth as signs, not that the symbols in the Thoth belong to everybody as part of the universal unconscious collective and if they weren't would be signs.

Let's look at a quite arbitrarily chosen example. About the Princess of Cups, Ziegler says: "With great tenderness and gentleness she holds the cup with the turtle in her hand as a hint of the protection she lovingly assures herself and others." This is in tune with the shell like shape of the cup as well as with the turtle shell and tells us directly something about the character of the Princess.

Crowley however gives us a more abstract, esoteric explanation: "She bears a covered cup from which issues a tortoise. This is again the tortoise which in Hindu philosophy supports the elephant on whose back is the Universe." Food for further metaphysical thought, to be sure, but hardly something a sitter can make much practical use of.

Neither view is wrong, nor is there any contradiction between them, they are just different ways to read the symbolism.

I am not familiar with the Princess of Cups, it is not a card that has come up yet for me... I might have to get back to you on that. I'm supposed to be packing to go away for the weekend now :eek:

Michael Sternbach

hmmm... not sure I agree that having a flavour of the personal is overly subjective.... just a recognition of the way the two, personal and collective may interact.

On a maybe related note, I found this interesting.

he goes on to say

Perhaps then in this light, esoteric teaching within a tarot deck is something a little different from original archetypes (or symbols) that are universally available to all, reflected in the imagery of the deck.

I'm still chewing on this one. I do think that Tarot is expressing Archetypes that have a quasi objective reality, independent from esoteric sophistication. Otherwise, how come people who have never even heard of Tarot express so beautifully the Major Arcana derived from their dates of birth in their lives?

ok, so it is those that you consider use the Thoth as signs, not that the symbols in the Thoth belong to everybody as part of the universal unconscious collective and if they weren't would be signs.

Yes, they are part of the universal unconscious collective. We can consider the BoT a guide to (or dictionary of) that symbolism. But it is not the only possible or legitimate one.

I am not familiar with the Princess of Cups, it is not a card that has come up yet for me... I might have to get back to you on that. I'm supposed to be packing to go away for the weekend now :eek:

Hope you enjoyed your weekend. If you wish to continue this conversation, I will be right here.