New Deck - Journey Into Egypt by Julie Cuccia-Watts

truelighth

The new cards are wonderful. I especially like the 3 of Swords and Judgement. This deck is most definately also going on my wishlist :D.

Anam Cara

Please don't hate me, but...

I am not a huge fan of Egyptian anything...
what I've seen in books, movies, museums and
(other than Julie's) Tarot decks usually leaves me unmoved.

But THIS deck...WOW!...and I'm not surprised.
I have and love all of Julie's decks, and cherish and use
each one.

And, as I am a big fan of jounaling, I can hardly
wait to see the finished companion book!

A(nother!) deck and book for the wish list!

:heart:Cara

AJ

Anam Cara said:
Please don't hate me, but...

I am not a huge fan of Egyptian anything...

:heart:Cara
Such a boring world if we all liked the same thing. And there'd be no point in coming to AT because we'd know what everyone else thought already :)

Penthasilia

Bump ba da bump :D

Thought I would resurrect a dead post :)

Julie- the artwork in this deck fascinates me. You know how I am about the Maat :D, so you can guess my excitement on this one. Looks like the artwork is coming along well, along with the book. Any ideas on when we can expect to hear "Hey, it's almost here"?

:D

BTW- was able to snag your other 2, love them. Will work with them after I finish up the Maat IDS.

morganesky

It's stunning and something I will definitely consider at a later stage, just a bit pricey for my now budget, but thanks for bumping the thread.

Chiriku

My pleasure, morganasky. Yes, her decks are an example of the type of deck that is worth sacrifice on the consumer's part. I ate cereal for a week to offset the cost of the Maat tarot, which is my "favorite" tarot deck if I were pressed to choose one to save in a fire. Will probably do so again for this deck.

But you really have to be engaged with the art and system to make the sacrifices. After careful consideration, I decided to pass last year on another self-published deck with excellent art because it just didn't offer me enough "substance" relative to the high price. Intensive working with "deep" decks like Julie's (and others) has spoiled me for decks for which their pretty face is the major thing going for them.

juliecucciawatts

Thanks and Journey into Egypt Tarot Update

I signed off on the proofs for The Journey into Egypt Tarot yesterday. They looked absolutely perfect. I also sent my first installment payment (about as much $ as I usually make in a year) to the printer. A HUGE thank you to all the people who pre-ordered and helped to make this happen. <3 I still owe them the majority of the balance but I have made a payment plan with them. There will be a lot of cereal in my future as well. LOL!

Creating anything is always co-creation. Initially I partnered with "the muse" and now tarot collectors and readers partner with me to help manifest a new tool. I would not have gone thru 4 years of work and expense if I didn't think it was really worth it. This is the biggest tarot journey I have ever been on. Bigger than the discoveries of Blue Moon, bigger even than the moon phases of MAAT.

Today a new tarot deck takes its first breath if my proofs arrive at the printer's office today. The presses could start running today at 4PM. My plan is to be there too since my printer is just 20 minutes from where I live. They invited me to come in to see their operation (and make sure they got all the colors exactly right.)

The high cost of Journey into Egypt is partially due to the fact that I have chosen to print locally. This allows me to help keep jobs local and keep money circulating right here where I live in Wisconsin. This is the best way I know to walk my talk. While many of my colleges choose to print their decks in China for half the price. I chose to print locally. First because the quality is the best you can get in my opinion. And second because I am proud to say it is made in the USA.

There will not be a mass market version of this deck. That is just not how I work. No mainstream publisher is ever going to touch what I do because no mainstream publisher is going to take the risk on something so new and out of the mainstream. These are the facts.The cost of Journey into Egypt is going to be the same as MAAT was in 2006. I have been able hold the price down because I am using the same die cuts as I used for MAAT saving thousands of dollars. The $5 price hike is due to shipping increases and that I can't do anything about.

My printer emailed me on Friday and his words were " I can't wait for you to see the proofs!" He was right they looked exactly the way I wanted them to look. Now I can't wait for you to see the cards!

Julie

Chiriku

I signed off on the proofs for The Journey into Egypt Tarot yesterday. They looked absolutely perfect.

Excellent news--- thanks for the updates.

The high cost of Journey into Egypt is partially due to the fact that I have chosen to print locally. This allows me to help keep jobs local and keep money circulating right here where I live in Wisconsin. This is the best way I know to walk my talk. While many of my colleges choose to print their decks in China for half the price. I chose to print locally. First because the quality is the best you can get in my opinion. And second because I am proud to say it is made in the USA.

I think this should be a point of pride for people around the world--not because Chinese printing is per se inferior (it can be very good indeed) and not because we all pledge allegiance to America (most people on AT are not in the US). Rather, it's the broader concept of keeping resources within the community and keeping the local economy going. Everyone, wherever they live I think, would wish that for their own community.

There will not be a mass market version of this deck. That is just not how I work. No mainstream publisher is ever going to touch what I do because no mainstream publisher is going to take the risk on something so new and out of the mainstream.

Of course they won't.

Although in the West, which almost certainly forms the proportionate majority of the tarot market, the cultural theme of this deck (ancient Egypt) is popular enough (albeit supplanted in the last 20 years by the Celtic wave), that is pretty much where a mainstream publisher's interest would end. There has been a mainstream astrological deck (Celestial Tarot by US Games) but it is on the more well-trodden side of astrology and doesn't take any of the conceptual or artistic risks that your current and last two decks do. (This is not to denigrate it--it's a good deck in its own right. Just an example of what can/has been picked up by a major publisher, and what is unlikely to be).

My printer emailed me on Friday and his words were " I can't wait for you to see the proofs!" He was right they looked exactly the way I wanted them to look.

Congratulations to you...and to us.

juliecucciawatts

Excellent news--- thanks for the updates.

I think this should be a point of pride for people around the world--not because Chinese printing is per se inferior (it can be very good indeed) and not because we all pledge allegiance to America (most people on AT are not in the US). Rather, it's the broader concept of keeping resources within the community and keeping the local economy going. Everyone, wherever they live I think, would wish that for their own community.

Of course they won't.

Although in the West, which almost certainly forms the proportionate majority of the tarot market, the cultural theme of this deck (ancient Egypt) is popular enough (albeit supplanted in the last 20 years by the Celtic wave), that is pretty much where a mainstream publisher's interest would end. There has been a mainstream astrological deck (Celestial Tarot by US Games) but it is on the more well-trodden side of astrology and doesn't take any of the conceptual or artistic risks that your current and last two decks do. (This is not to denigrate it--it's a good deck in its own right. Just an example of what can/has been picked up by a major publisher, and what is unlikely to be).

Congratulations to you...and to us.

Well said, better than I. Namaste Chiriku