New Vision Tarot

Thoughtful

l think Barnes and Noble must have lost your order, must say you were very patient.

My deck also came from Book Depository UK and arrived within a week. l also paid a good price certainly cheaper than some l have seen online.

Hope after waiting so long that you enjoy the new edition when you have it in your hot little hands at long last :laugh:

rwcarter

My deck arrived today. I won't get a chance until this weekend to compare my box-only and kit decks to this one. I'm especially interested in how different the booklet is.

I bought the Premium Edition Tarot Art Nouveau during the 4th of July weekend, so I knew what to expect in the package.

Rodney

rwcarter

Comparison time.

I have my deck from the kit (which doesn't have a LWB cause it has the 158 page all English book with it), the deck-only and the new New Vision Tarot Premium Edition. Just to confuse things, while the cards are the New Vision Tarot Premium Edition, the booklet is Tarot of the New Vision.

One thing I see Thoughtful forgot to mention is that there are no words at all on the cards. The rank (in Arabic or Roman Numerals) or Court Symbol are on the top of the cards while the bottom of the cards has the suit symbol for the Minors and a repeat of the Roman Numeral for the Majors. So no multi-lingual titles! The font is smaller and because they didn't have to leave room at the top for the titles, that bar is 1mm shorter so the images are 1mm taller since the cards are the same standard LoS size.

One thing about the card backs that wasn't mentioned is that they're either not coated or are not as heavily coated compared to the card fronts.

All of the colors seem to be generally lighter. Just looking at the Fool, the browns (title border and the cliff), reds (tunic and volcano), blues (mountain and leggings) and yellows (sky and left sleeve) are all lighter than in the other two decks.

I don't see any other changes in the cards themselves. It is interesting to note though that the KW is the only one who doesn't have his image on the back of his throne. The other 3 Kings do as does the Emperor and Hierophant.

Now to the comparison I really wanted to make - the book from the kit vs the booklet from the Premium edition. The kit book (KB) was written by Giordano Berti and Tiberio Gonard, while the Premium Book (PB) was written by Lunea Weatherstone. So I would expect them to contain completely different info.

Flipping randomly to the Fool in the KB (which is after the World, surprisingly enough), it gives a brief description of the scene, discusses some of the symbolism and counterpoints the image with the "normal" view of the card. Then interpretations are given under the headings of "Main Meanings" and "Opposition", which I guess would be the reversed interpretation. The Minors follow a similar format except that where the Majors are 2 pages each, the Minors are 1 page each, including the Courts.

Looking at the Fool in the PB, the discussion of each card is done in an "Old Vision", "New Vision", "Whole Vision" format. For complete comparison the LWB in the deck-only version contains keywords that don't appear in either of the books. So I'd say for completeness sake, it's good to have all three resources at hand.

The KB is the only one that appears to contain interpretations for reversals. The PB doesn't address reversals at all. The LWB says something interesting that I think is worth typing out in whole (typos will be mine most likely):
Upright or upside-down card
In order to live a fulfilling life, one must think and view things positively. Therefore, double meanings for reading the cards, upright or upside-down, were not used.
A tarot deck consists of 78 cards: In general two thirds of the deck has a "positive" meaning and a third has a "negative" meaning. If, however, we consider that almost all of the cards viewed upside-down have a negative meaning, we almost always have a negative response.
In the case of the New Vision Tarot, if a positive card is upside-down, its positive meaning is reduced, whereas if a negative card is upside-down, its negative meaning is accentuated.
After consultation, the vision of the future will undoubtedly be brighter.
I believe every card has a range of meanings from positive to negative built into them. That's why I usually don't use reversed cards.

My only quibble about the Premium Book is that the print is super tiny! I can only guess that was so that everything could be squeezed in, but that's hard to read for those of us with older eyes! And to compare, the font in the Tarot Art Nouveau Premium Edition Book is at least one, if not two, point sizes bigger and therefore much easier to read.

Rodney

Disa

I've only skimmed this thread so if the answer is already in here I apologize.

The images of the cards in the first post have very brightly colored cards. Which deck has those brightly colored cards? Do they all have it, or do none of them have it and it's just the monitor?

I ordered the kit yesterday before I saw this thread. Now I'm wondering if I ordered the wrong deck? I don't really want muted colors if there's another option.

Thanks,

rwcarter

I've only skimmed this thread so if the answer is already in here I apologize.

The images of the cards in the first post have very brightly colored cards. Which deck has those brightly colored cards? Do they all have it, or do none of them have it and it's just the monitor?

I ordered the kit yesterday before I saw this thread. Now I'm wondering if I ordered the wrong deck? I don't really want muted colors if there's another option.

Thanks,
Those are all from the original deck as they have multi-lingual titles. The Premium edition doesn't have multi-lingual titles. I think there is a new version of the kit. I don't know what deck is in there as I've had my kit for 9 or 10 years if memory serves.

Disa

Those are all from the original deck as they have multi-lingual titles. The Premium edition doesn't have multi-lingual titles. I think there is a new version of the kit. I don't know what deck is in there as I've had my kit for 9 or 10 years if memory serves.

OK, thanks. I think it's the newish kit I must have ordered the other day.

canid

Love this deck! There's so much more going on visually. My mini's colors aren't as vibrant as the large deck.

Disa

I got my decks yesterday. It's the kit so I thought it would have a regular sized book with it. It has a tiny book inside the box with the cards. For this price I would have expected a larger book. I can barely read the words at all :( . Also, the card backs are a weird texture. I've not had a deck before where the texture on the back was diff than the texture on the front. Other than that, I like the deck. I think whatever the book says is something really beneficial in there, from the few paragraphs I read with the magnifying glass :(

rwcarter

I got my decks yesterday. It's the kit so I thought it would have a regular sized book with it. It has a tiny book inside the box with the cards. For this price I would have expected a larger book. I can barely read the words at all :( . Also, the card backs are a weird texture. I've not had a deck before where the texture on the back was diff than the texture on the front. Other than that, I like the deck. I think whatever the book says is something really beneficial in there, from the few paragraphs I read with the magnifying glass :(
Sounds like you got the Premium edition deck, which hopefully wasn't billed as a kit. Two part box with the top part having a diagonal cut to it instead of a flat bottom? The back has the reversible KnC image on it?

Rodney

Disa

Sounds like you got the Premium edition deck, which hopefully wasn't billed as a kit. Two part box with the top part having a diagonal cut to it instead of a flat bottom? The back has the reversible KnC image on it?

Rodney

Yes! Did I pay too much? maybe I just misunderstood the whole thing. It does say full color "booklet". But for $34.95? Ugh. I only had that one to choose from or the deck alone, so I assumed I was getting a full sized book due to the price.