Not feeling it

AmethystEyes

What would you do if you have a deck that you like but you don't feel connected to them?

MantraTarot

Sit on it for a while... maybe you come back in a few months and connect. But for me? I just give mine away if I don't feel anything after a couple days. I just know what I like and don't like. Or you can always trade for another deck you think you may like.

53rdspirit

I pack it away for a while. Sometimes my feelings about a deck change over time.

irisa

I've had this many times :) and I have also ended up rebuying a deck I felt I didn't connect with gave away or sold many times :)

So now I don't make hasty decisions - there's nothing worse than trying to make myself like a deck or feeling that I must like it - so I just put them away out of sight out of mind and periodically take them out and look at them again. Some of my most loved decks now I didn't "get" or really disliked on first glance. So I would say don't do anything hasty :D

irisa :)

AmethystEyes

I've actually had this deck for a while now. And I do use it, but I feel like something is missing. I like the cards because they are different from the others I have but keep thinking about maybe trading them for something I could connect better with.

mimiraj

The ones I really felt like I would not connect with I have placed in loving homes. The others I just put away and take out every so often.
mimiraj

Chronata

My advice is to play with them just a bit longer.

Do some sorting exercises(where you sort the cards into different random categories that you make up)
Read with them in the oracle games section.
Read them in tandem with another deck.

and if after doing those three, you still don't connect with them...then it's really Ok to trade them for something else.

But sometimes doing experiments with them, you uncover what seems to be missing, and find a way to express it with the cards you have.

Beware though...sometimes what you think you will like doesn't connect with you either.

I have traded many decks that I later bought back (especially oracles!) because I realized it was easier to go with the system of an older deck that I already was familiar with, then try and learn a whole brand new system.

Moonchild1721

I had a deck that I didn't connect with, and packed it away for awhile. A few years later, I took a creative writing class in college, and to complete an assignment, chose to write a short story inspired by a tarot card. I pulled the deck out, and used a few of the cards to write my story. I began to see things in the images that I hadn't before, so I kept working my way through the deck, writing stories based on the cards. I ended up really connecting with the images, and now it is one of my favorite decks! I plan to do this again if I end up with another deck I can't quite connect with.

HearthCricket

Either put them away for a long while (yes, sometimes years and years) and then have them ready for when you want them or try being playful with them. Do something fun with them. Pull out your 5 favourite cards and 5 least favourite cards. Put them in various orders, then write a short story based on them. Not all cards are meant to be used in the same way. Just enjoy them and have some fun. Be creative!

lightbug

The only intuitive tool I ever loved and which resonated with me the most, was one I initially just hated and set aside for a number of years!