OK, no more new decks. Really. I mean it.

KMilliron

Poor college student. Can't afford anymore decks, so no need to pledge them off. :D

Bhavana

Right now, I have two decks that I haven't used yet, just used one for the first time, and have four more on the way from Amazon. So, I decided to swear off buying any more new Tarot decks, at least for several months so I can get a chance to get around to using the new acqusitions (I'm doing Deck of the Week and plan to alternate a new deck with an older one so the new ones get used but the older ones don't get neglected).

So, I went to Barnes and Noble with a friend Sunday, promising myself that I was not, absolutely not, going to buy a deck of Tarot cards. As I was strolling past the bargain rack, not even looking at it, suddenly this box that said "Celtic Tarot" on it caught my eye, then filled my field of vision. I immediately had to have it. And it was only $9.95 for a deck and book set. I couldn't resist, and put it in my basket, and went on about my shopping (got Tarot for Beginners as a birthday present for a friend who is just learning Tarot, and a nice covered tea mug for his mom, who also has a birthday this month, and assorted books for myself).

After I checked out, I sank into a comfy chair and actually looked at my new deck- the minor numbered cards are pips, and I usually won't buy a deck that doesn't have illustrated minors. Still, I've had enough experience with the Thoth and Hermetic Tarots that I think I can work around that, and there is some symbolism worked into the designs, so once I've read the companion book side by side with the actual cards, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to read with it, and it is a lovely deck.

But that's it. Really. No more new Tarot decks until I've spent a week reading with each of the decks I already have. I will not look at scans. I will not look at decks when I go to a bookstore (I managed to resist the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative boxed set.)

I'm taking the pledge. Anyone with me?

Nope. Sorry. Can't be with you on this one. I know I won't be able to stick with it, so why bother??? And as for the Celtic deck, isn't it great? It is because of that deck that I decided to start giving the pip decks more of a chance. It's a gorgeous deck, and I use mine a lot - a great value for the price. I'd love to find one of the older editions - I hear it's OOP too, so the ones left on the B&N shelves may be among the last of them....as for the rest of the B&N selection, I have almost every tarot they sell - except for the stuff that doesn't interest me, like the Kitchen tarot, the Law of Attraction tarot, or that freaky necromancer deck. I really don't want Tarot of the Vampyres either...but...I feel I may be weakening on that one.

I blame the internet for most of my addictions. For years I used one tarot deck. ONE. Okay, it was two...but it was only when I started going online and seeing the amazing numbers of decks out there that I felt I had to have more. Same with hoyas. I grew 2, H. carnosa and H. pubicalyx for about 10 years - then one day looked up hoyas online, found there were 300 types, and now I have over 40. I did the same thing with African Violets. The time that I don't spend playing with my tarot decks is spent watering plants. But really, If I could stay away from my computer, then MAYBE I could stop trying to acquire more decks.

By the way, you really need to go back to the store and get that Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative deck.

vee

Just like people's relationship with tarot is very personal, their relationship with acquiring decks is very personal and unique!

For me, I get decks for a few reasons. 1. for decks to read with 2. for decks that have art work that inspires me/gives me creative ideas and 3. for collecting, because I like having a collection of something, that's something i've always wanted to do and i'm excited about it.

The decks I plan to buy in the near future are for all these reasons. Silicon Dawn, for 1. Science Tarot for 2 and the Lebanese Tarot for 2 & 3.

So if I was only getting decks to read with, I might feel silly for having a ton since you can only read with so many at a time. But its more complex than that! I know every person here has different reasons for the amount of the decks they have and I'm not going to judge them for that!

Asbestos Mango

*sigh*

Well, if collecting a million Tarot decks you can appreciate for the art work even if you're not reading with them is your thing, then have at it. I personally bought and promptly gave away the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight because, though it was pretty art, and if I wanted a creative writing project, I could have written pages of story on any given card, I found it next to impossible to read with.

I guess I have a utilitarian view of Tarot- if I can't read with it, I don't want it, even if it's lovely to look at. I probably will eventually break down and get the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative, but not any time soon (I hope it doesn't go OOP too soon). Maybe if my sister gives me an Amazon gift card for Christmas, I'll get it, but right now, my collection is so RWS heavy...

Hathor

I bought the same kit three weeks ago at Barnes and Nobles also. I LOVE this deck !!! I trimmed the big borders and it is just beautiful now ! Who knew ? $9.95 for a kit at a bookstore.

Debra

In my opinion, a lot of this is tied up with the marketing of tarot decks. Many people say that it is AT that made them want to buy decks. That's certainly true for me.

Partly it's the information available, scans and reviews and testimonials, which is very cool.

There's also encouragement aka social pressure that comes from feeling part of a group all clicking "buy" on various web sites and reporting with glee what they're waiting for from amazon.com or e-bay.

Don't we figure, these people might know something I don't know? Okey dokey, I'll buy...

I sometimes get the feeling that we're "supposed" to love certain decks because a lot of other people say they do. I guess this is unavoidable if you pay attention to what other people say and what's the point of being on a forum if you don't :laugh:

So buying turns into a social activity, not just an individual decision.

And then (for me), what Gryffinsong says comes into play. What a brilliant post :heart:

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread, Mango, it's nice to see people's views.

nisaba

I sometimes get the feeling that we're "supposed" to love certain decks because a lot of other people say they do.

<cackle> Peer pressure tends to have the reverse effect on me. Yes, I have some popular decks, but only because *I* like them. There are a vast number of decks (The Paulina springs to mind, but there are many, many more) that I don't buy and don't even look at because so many people rave about how good they are.

I had to be *given* my Anna K. (which I now love) for that reason - it was so popular that I would never have bought it.

cirom

*sigh*

Well, if collecting a million Tarot decks you can appreciate for the art work even if you're not reading with them is your thing, then have at it.

I guess I have a utilitarian view of Tarot- if I can't read with it, I don't want it, even if it's lovely to look at.

Thats fair enough I suppose although its sounds rather drab. Unless you live in North Korea or prison, surely most of our homes and lives have some degree of what some might consider -excess-. If the only criteria of posession was functional need, usage and utility then our walls would be bare of decoration, our kitchen cabinets would contain only one set of cutlery, our closets one pair of shoes etc etc.

OK having million decks or a knee jerk response in having to own every new popular fad, is making a point but via a hypothetical extreme. Equally a strict utilitarian usage only approach is also an extreme response surely? Sometimes the simple pleasure of being able to look at beautiful things does,nt require such justification even if that takes the form of a collection of inanimate glass elephants with no function whatsoever, let alone tarot decks, which do.
Indeed, being able to choose from a selection of decks, one that might better reflect the mood and character of the circumstances either from your or the querants perspective can en-richen the reading experience, just as one chooses ones clothing to suite the weather or occasion (unless your wardrobe is equally spartan and utilitarian) Besides, if you don't try a new deck how will you know if you can or cannot read with it.

I agree with Debras comments that there may be a tendency to be curious of or influenced by what other members may have recently bought and commented about, thats inevitable in a community such as this. But once again that isn't necessarily a bad thing, there are ample opportunities offered by the same on line media to do one's own homework before deciding to buy a new deck. (As someone posted earlier, they chose not to buy two of my decks precisely because they must have seen the images and come to a decision based on that, which is how it should be) It really boils down to personal decision, choice and evaluation and I'm sure the vast vast majority of members are capable of making decisions that will not result in undue hardship. We are after all describing an enthusiasm, interest maybe even a passion for decks of cards, but not a physical addiction. I really don't see a problem here.

vee

*sigh*

Well, if collecting a million Tarot decks you can appreciate for the art work even if you're not reading with them is your thing, then have at it.

Erm, thanks, I will. I appreciate your view of Tarot and I can understand it. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Anna

*sigh*

Well, if collecting a million Tarot decks you can appreciate for the art work even if you're not reading with them is your thing, then have at it. I personally bought and promptly gave away the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight because, though it was pretty art, and if I wanted a creative writing project, I could have written pages of story on any given card, I found it next to impossible to read with.

Exactly.

I have no issues whatsoever with collectors and people who like owning decks as beautiful artwork. I LIKE looking through decks and collections. I like art.

But tarot cards are a working tool. And the trouble is, a lot of the wonderful artists creating decks know viritually nothing about tarot. The depth of any deck with reflect directly the depth of it's creators knowledge about tarot. A deck without a deep knowledge of tarot sitting behind it is useless as anything more than 78 pretty pictures to be admired.

If tarot is primarily a working tool, then why would I choose a tool created by someone who's knowledge of tarot is very limited? It would be like using a silver spoon to dig a potato patch, when what I really need is a good solid, dependable (if a bit ugly) spade.