On the importance of tea

LotusSong

The thought of having anything liquid near my cards during a reading horrifies me. :bugeyed:

Besides, I know that if I have any drink with me, it would be quickly forgotten about. I tend to require a great amount of focus in order to glean anything from the cards, so after the first card I'd probably forget it was even there...

SunChariot

LotusSong said:
The thought of having anything liquid near my cards during a reading horrifies me. :bugeyed:

Besides, I know that if I have any drink with me, it would be quickly forgotten about. I tend to require a great amount of focus in order to glean anything from the cards, so after the first card I'd probably forget it was even there...

I know what you mean. I'd be afraid to spill tea on them!

Babs

Aerin

I drink a lot of tea (UK again) but not specifically for Tarot. I tried reading tealeaves back in the day when tea bags were considered ~Evil and an assault on society. Not much success there so I stick to tarot.

I get very sick of not being able to get a cup of decent tea whenever I visit the US or am on a US cruise ship, so then I drink coffee under protest. Can't say it affects my tarot reading though.

When I'm reading I just need to be in an appropriate state and if that means having a drink first then it is tea every time.

Wendywu

My mum was very good at reading the tealeaves - and palms as well. She could read playing cards but never did tarot. Very seldom seen without a cuppa somewhere nearby but it wasn't essential for reading (well, except for reading tealeaves :laugh: ).

Carla

LotusSong said:

That's me, too.

No drinks during a reading. I'm still new and only just developing my ritual, but I find that I like to breathe deeply and repeat the question over and over while I shuffle. And if I'm reading for someone else, I like using my new reading cloth. But I've found that if it's just for me, I tend to just lay them out on the bare floor. I'm sure as time goes on, I'll develop more rituals, as I love them so much.

SkadisPhoenix

Wendywu said:
I'm British. Specifically - I'm English. Tea is essential - for everything!! We drink tea when we work, when we relax, when we are stressed - my mum swore piping hot tea was the perfect drink for a hot summer's day and she was right. Then again, a nice cup of tea is just right on a cold winter's day .... tea is just - essential :)

(Unless you're a totally strange being like my husband, who won't touch tea - eek!! I'm married to a weirdo :eek:)
Everything she said (including about the wierdo other half! :p)

I have to constantly have either a cup of tea or the kettle boiling, I have different kinds of tea, can't do without! My boyfriend despairs. I don't mind if the cup of tea is finished before the reading is though, as the tea isn't what is helping my intuition, it's just a nice heat and taste... :)

Le Fanu

Oh tea! Don't get me started! Where on earth would I be without tea?

Good quality Green Tea (for me) is best for centring, but then I love Yorkshire Tea (so-strong-the-spoon-stands-up) with milk..

As for reading with tea, yes I do. Sometimes tea, sometimes coffee, but now I shall remember forever how Le Pendu spilt coffee all over his Dusserre Dodal while sipping and laying out the cards so be warned :bugeyed:

Tea somehow feels more in line with the spirit of tarot than coffee.

Cup of Coffee: stimulating, awakening, energising and trendy.

Cup of Tea: soothing, introspective, ritualistic, with lovely accessories. Just like tarot!

214red

Wendywu said:
I'm British. Specifically - I'm English. Tea is essential - for everything!! We drink tea when we work, when we relax, when we are stressed - my mum swore piping hot tea was the perfect drink for a hot summer's day and she was right. Then again, a nice cup of tea is just right on a cold winter's day .... tea is just - essential :)

(Unless you're a totally strange being like my husband, who won't touch tea - eek!! I'm married to a weirdo :eek:)
Tea in the UK is a religion, i drink coffee but am not british so they make exeptions and dont look horrified when i ask for a coffee.

Asbestos Mango

Umbrae said:
sounds to me like you use tea and tea making as your ritual to 'center and ground'.

Actually, on the whole, I would prefer that the tea be brought to me and my cup refilled/warmed up when it gets to less than half full. Either that or just have a pot sitting beside me.

Wendywu

Asbestos Mango said:
Actually, on the whole, I would prefer that the tea be brought to me and my cup refilled/warmed up when it gets to less than half full. Either that or just have a pot sitting beside me.

Can I just totally second that please? Although I was meaning more in a general every day sense - since I daren't read and drink at the same time. If this wonderful tea fairy is available pleeeease tell me how I get in touch with her..... :laugh: