online readings a good practice but ...

fractalgranny

hello everyone! looks like i forgot to bookmark this thread, that's why i'm only now coming back to it.

reading through your thoughts shows me that i am easily triggered by what i judge to be superficiality. yes, again i am saying "what i judge to be" because after all well, what do i really know? at any rate, it is good to know that that's a trigger for me. i think i feel devalued as a person and perhaps also that the other person is devaluing her/himself by not taking a moment to think about the meaning of their question or the substance of their feedback. my hunch is that i might be better served to take an "it is what it is" approach, and i really like the stance that someone here brought up which is to consider it an honour each time a person sits. this turns reading into more of a spiritual practice, which suits me fine.

reading through your contributions, i also see that it would be a good idea to be really specific and thoughtful in my offers: "these are the types of questions i'd like, and this is the type of feedback."

i could also be grateful for the amazing training opportunity i get here. i've only been reading tarot for about 10 years or so, and seriously only for about 2 1/2. so compared to a lot of people, i am "but an egg."

i do participate in ISG (which i love!) and lately also CoS - that's my kind of reading :) and it looks like there are some people here in this thread who we could have an interesting exchange with.

Nineveh

Don't forget that if a reader wants a more in depth conversation as part of the exchange, then that can be made part of the condition of exchange. Rather than "detailed feedback," state that what is wanted is a two-way conversation about the reading with questions on clarification, etc.

The people who want "McDonalds" as you stated are going to avoid this more work-intensive exchange.

This works best! I've found that some people give three paragraph readings and expect that in return. It's a fair request. I don't read like that so I would pass on an exchange with that person. Within the past year I have begun to leave detailed feedback. My fear in doing so is that I may reveal too much and you never know who is reading and "adding 2 +2". I'm just beginning to overcome that fear and seek ways to be detailed without being too telling.

Detailed feedback is a fair request because it really does help with the learning process but I also believe that a person can be succinct in one or two sentences while leaving feedback...

Tarot is something I do to pass time. While I am very honest and put great care into my interpretations I don'take the art as serious as I used to.

I am also guilty about asking "How does X feel about me." And, if a reader takes a two days or more to complete their end of the exchange I just may forget what "X" was of topic. So, while I don't mind reading on certain questions it bothers me when my exchanges are not completed the same day. If I intuitively get the feeling that someone may disappear before completing their end. I note that exchanges are to be completed within the hour.

Grizabella

Q

Relationships are what is most important to most people. When they go wrong people can be emotionally crushed , scarred for life , and in desperate need of someone to talk to about it who will understand . If the Universe gives you the skills to be there for them it's an honor .

Exactly right! I wholeheartedly agree with this and bless you for saying so. :) I wish there were more readers with this attitude. There used to be more, but then the tide turned when the internet came about.

I began using the reading exchange to test myself in tarot. I did not actually make any posts, but I would see what someone was asking, then secretly do a reading on it, and then check if the response they got to their reading was anything like what I read in my cards. I still do this. It is like quizzing.

What an interesting and novel way of using the Exchange! I never thought of that myself. :)

I am not into the relationship questions because I like to use tarot to help people and I think reading for someone about another person who isn't even there is not helpful. I realize that these questions are asked for peace of mind, not for advice so I respect that. However I am interested in spiritual counseling and using tarot as a tool to empower people, to help them make positive changes in their life. So the people I want to read for are people who want what I wish to offer.

So you don't think relationships have spiritual elements to them? I think they're the most spiritual interactions we have.

I think a special section for tarot newbies where we can give reading exchanges and have a rule about detailed feedback would be nice.

We have one! That's what the Reading Exchange is for! :)

imarya

For me, it's useful and I think of it as being a lot like going fishing.

I enjoy fishing, which is called "fishing" and not "catching" for a reason. If I catch a fish, I get to have fresh fish for dinner. If I don't catch a fish, I got to spend a day outdoors doing something I enjoy...and what I don't catch, I don't have to clean. :D

I've spent a lot of time on the British Museum website looking at all types of cards, from as far back as human beings have made cards. For as long as we've had cards, we've used them for all kinds of reasons--some serious, some frivolous. I think it's natural that some people will think of the cards as being on par with a "Magic 8 Ball" (remember those?!), while others among us prefer to use Tarot for guided meditation.

I "throw my line in the water" by posting what I've read, and trust that the principle of "like goes to like" will attract replies from kindred spirits (people whose thoughts on Tarot are similar to mine).

Those of us who fish catch a lot of fish we have to throw back, for one reason or another. If I "get a bite" (receive a reply) from a "Magic 8 Ball" type even though I'm really fishing for kindred spirits, it's not like I have to "keep" the Magic 8 Ball. I can release that undeveloped Magic 8 Ball perspective back into the waters of the Internet so that person's interest has a chance to grow & develop a little more. :)

Even if I don't necessarily agree with the feedback I receive, the person has given me the gift of their time and made me think.

One reason I like Tarot in the first place is that it gets me out of my rut and makes me think differently.

imarya

Edited to add:

PS: Some of us who are still new members are stuck in "Your Readings" until we make 25 posts and have been members for a week. I thought it would be bad form to make 25 "junk" posts just so I could progress beyond what my mind's eye pictures as something similar to middle school girls with those folded-paper fortune tellers asking: does he like me, does he think I'm cute, is she my friend, etc.

DownUnderNZer

I think it is great way to learn as a Reader and even as a Sitter with "Your Readings", the "Reading Exchange", "Divination" & "Oracle Readings". And it is a good way to see how other readers read the cards - one really can learn about cards more in depth when you look at how another tackles it.

But sometimes when it is frequented too much by the same sitters too much info is shared and I wonder if any learning is going on when the same questions are asked over and over and not just for one week, but months to a few years. The same sitters and the same questions.

True each person has various things going on at different phases of her/his life, but if that person is always asking the "same" thing for months on end how is s/he really evolving?. I did it for about 6 months on the "Reading Exchange", in part to find answers and in part to learn, but at some point it dawned on me that enough was enough - time to move on from asking and to get on with life.

But I learnt as a Reader, Sitter and observing other Readers which was the most valuable & rewarding part of it all. (Archives as well :thumbsup:).

The Reading Exchange is indeed beneficial in many ways and we are blessed to have it. :)
But when too much info is shared and the same questions are asked frequently by the same sitters - makes one think.

Alkonost

As for posting readings here, my opinion (which I know many will disagree with) is that it serves no purpose. I believe the cards speak to each of us differently and no one else can ever really understand the message that was sent to someone else. As they do not speak that language. Only the original reader can decifer it. With their knowledge and intuition and if necessary clarifiers. As it came to them. It came to them in the best way for them to see it clearly. The same message for someone else would take a different form.

The cards speak to each of us differently, which you can clearly see when someone on AT asks what a card means and there are as many different answers as their are people answering the thread.

But the meanings are others are irrelevant and can't be added in after the fact, as the message was not sent to them in their language, but to the original reader. Those are my, maybe unpopular, beliefs on that.

Actually (and maybe this is just my limited experience...okay, it probably is) I completely agree with you. When I look at listings of cards that have come up for some reader it's like greek to me, and I can't imagine that anyone (other than the querent and original reader) would get much out of it. There's so much to be said for the feelings, pictures, and atmosphere that surround a reading...that when you take out of that just the card names, how can it be really accurate?

Anyway, I joined this forum specifically to one day (I know I've got a few days and some more posts to rack up first!) join the reading exchange. I'm a little wary now that I hear it has got a McDonald's feel to it, but hopefully I meet some other dedicated people who are also interested in a deeper discussion of the cards.

fractalgranny

Actually (and maybe this is just my limited experience...okay, it probably is) I completely agree with you. When I look at listings of cards that have come up for some reader it's like greek to me, and I can't imagine that anyone (other than the querent and original reader) would get much out of it. There's so much to be said for the feelings, pictures, and atmosphere that surround a reading...that when you take out of that just the card names, how can it be really accurate?

Anyway, I joined this forum specifically to one day (I know I've got a few days and some more posts to rack up first!) join the reading exchange. I'm a little wary now that I hear it has got a McDonald's feel to it, but hopefully I meet some other dedicated people who are also interested in a deeper discussion of the cards.

you don't need to rack up any points, just jump in! and not all readings have a mcdonalds feel to them. i just did a series of tarot poetry readings and it was a profound experience (says the naughty person who started this whole thread :))

NadaJ

I have had some wonderful reading experiences in the exchange! And when you subscribe or rack up the posts to join that subsection, approach it with an open mind and come to your own conclusions :)

danieljuk

I always give quite in depth and long feedback! (sorry if you ever do a reading with me :D). I nearly always get less feedback in exchange but anything that is more than just "thanks for the reading" I am happy about and you have to give something more than just thanks in the rules these days :)

I have learnt such a lot, especially from the negative feedback (when it's gentle and not just plain mean).

sorry you are not getting the fulfilling readings you want Fractal. some people (especially in the exchanges) are serial sitters but in the circles I think most people take it seriously! I have seen some people start exchanges with very definite rules like Chiska suggested. Like complex readings with celtic cross with discussion or exchanges where it's ongoing. Why not try doing an exchange with one person or a few people with very exact rules and they must discuss it!

In the circles, why not ask if they want to discuss the reading further after feedback? I wouldn't mind talking about it further in an exchange but it just seems to end after feedback!

someone on here signed up to a free readings site on another website where feedback was a requirement for getting a free reading and they never had feedback :( so AT is a good learning environment! maybe you need to join a tarot circle or group offline and there is further discussion areas there :) Hope you find what you need to go more indepth FG!

JankaV

I just started participating in exchanges...my request for exchange posts have been rather lengthy w/ all my stipulations! I don't like to ask the cards about 3rd party feelings so I note that, and explain that I will ask a general question about that situation or relationship as it pertains to the reader.

I am still so new to the reading for others part that the detailed reading on my part is very helpful to me learning.

My exchange yesterday was fantastic...and it's probably because anybody who got through my huge long post about what I was looking for was really interested in the same :)