OOP Gaian

Thoughtful

Just seen this for sale on Amazon at £999.91 !!!! yes, no kidding. Was it and is it that special a tarot to command that price or have the Amazon sellers gone totally mad. l have seen the images here in Tarot Cards but l do not see anything that special about it.

rwcarter

Was this the Majors only or the full deck? The price is ridiculous either way, but I think the Majors would command a larger price than the full deck as people were so unhappy with the full deck compared to the Majors-only.

Madrigal

I just posted about where to find this on the 'what's the postman bringing' thread in response to someone who'd just bought it. Everywhere I look it's super $$$. Why do popular decks go out of print and other less popular ones stay around for years??

Aeric

Actually it's the opposite: slow sales have led to the end of Gaian.

http://www.gaiantarot.com/newsletters/050713.html

Scroll down for the Gaian remarks, from 2013.

However, as we've seen with other decks, enough people writing the company may encourage a second limited run.

I've only ever seen the full deck as I came across Gaian only recently and I was lucky to grab one of the last regularly priced copies this week. Like many decks, it resonates with a particular audience, and isn't universally palatable. There are also other decks that express its multicultural, nature-based themes differently that resonate with other audiences.

Thoughtful

Was this the Majors only or the full deck? The price is ridiculous either way, but I think the Majors would command a larger price than the full deck as people were so unhappy with the full deck compared to the Majors-only.

It does not say majors only and it appears to be the full 78 deck. As you say it is a ridiculous price.

Aeric

At the time in May 2013, there wre only 450 copies of the full deck left in the Llewellyn warehouse. We're coming up on two years since then, and I secured one $40 copy of the full deck in a random bookstore this week.

I'd advise you if you really want it to comb through local New Age stores rather than the big businesses, and see if it's still on the shelves. Sometimes, small stores don't track what's OOP unless someone asks about it. If their copy of the deck sits there forever, they never have to check on it until they sell it, and they may not be aware of how much it's really going for now and that that was the last copy.

Madrigal

At the time in May 2013, there wre only 450 copies of the full deck left in the Llewellyn warehouse. We're coming up on two years since then, and I secured one $40 copy of the full deck in a random bookstore.

I'd advise you if you really want it to comb through local New Age stores rather than the big businesses, and see if it's still on the shelves. Sometimes, small stores don't track what's OOP unless somone asks about it. If their copy of the deck sits there forever, they never have to check on it until they sell it, and they may not be aware of how much it's really going for now.

Thanks, Aeric. I'll try that. I posted this question in response to your comment on the 'what's the postman bringing' thread. Off to call my local New Age store :D

Aeric

Good luck to you!

And I will agree that Gaian is an acquired taste. This time last year I was completely turned off it when I first encountered it. But life has shifted in a new way for me that it truly feels magical and inspiring, especially with the Spring rebirth coming around again. I feel very lucky to have found it, more so because I first offered it to a collector friend, but when she finally perused the cards she decided I could have it.

Miss Divine

I quite like the Gaian. It's one of those decks I use when I want some gentler guidance. But it delivers the message no doubt. I know there are people that find it cheesy, but this deck brings me peace. The colors are vibrant, lots of nature and animals.. Certainly wouldn't want to be without it.

Le Fanu

<mental note to bump that thread; Expensive decks you don't want>

I remember thinking at the time when stocks were dwindling - do I? don't I? - but I just find it so resoundingly, dizzyingly naff that I just couldn't. All those frumpy, sandal-wearing bumpkins doing things like washing dishes and kayaking and (probably) bark-rubbing. And still it was published.

To me, these people look like they're from Mars. Surely nobody lives in that kind of bubble? It'll be interesting to see if the price goes up and up and whether I'll be begging for one in Trading one day (not).