Oracle or Tarot....

Ange

I have had two tarot decks, which, after a grim experience a few months back, went into the bin.

All the time I had my decks, I couldn't stop looking at the Mystic Faerie deck, and now, against my better jugement and feeling, I have bought it. I've had the book out to look, but the cards are still wrapped in the cellophane. I feel that while they are sealed in cellophane then they are safe, I am safe, and I could sell them on as new if unopened, if I can't open them.

I don't know whether I dare start again with them, although I do so love the look of the cards and they have 'drawn' me to them for so long.

However, my question is this....

I've also been looking at 'Angel' cards.....which seem to be non tarot....more oracle cards...and I wondered what the difference is between the two. One set uses Guardian Angels as their theme, and I wonder if they would suit me better after my experiences.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ang x

Mellifluous

I don't understand what your experience was that made you throw two decks away. Are you saying you're scared of tarot or you hated those particular decks or what exactly?

I guess you'd need to figure out why you're having a problem and why you still want decks 'against your better judgment', to know if an angel oracle wouldn't present the same problems.

Tarot has a definite structure with the major arcana and minor arcana (four suits). There are also generally speaking traditional meanings which you can learn and follow - or ignore. Though to be honest, there's a lot of variation in meanings already if you go by the companion books. Every deck creator puts their own spin on things. You start off learning the basics and eventually come to learn what each card means to you through intuition and experience.

Oracles are more of a free for all for the creator of the deck. They can have any number or kind of cards, following a structure or not. There's usually a booklet to tell you the meanings and symbolism the author intended, or sometimes they are printed on the cards. Again, you can ignore them if you like, and eventually you'll come to find your own meanings and associations for each card.

You use tarot and oracles the same way though. Unless you decide not to for some reason. Anything you can do with one, you can do with the other.

I guess if you like angels, or like the artwork of whatever deck you get, or the creator's outlook as expressed in the booklet, then you might like an angel oracle better.

However, if it's something about how you use tarot and oracles (like perhaps not being comfortable with prediction and divination?), you might want to address that first. Maybe decide why you want to buy and have these things, how you will and won't use them, how seriously you're going to take them, what you believe, etc.

Does that help? Hope so.

Good luck. :)

Aerin

I agree. You need to understand what your 'grim experiences' tell you before you can answer this question.

It is quite possible to use both Tarot and Oracle decks in a 'which card do I need to work with right now' kind of a way without ever needing to wonder or worry about predicting anything, if this is what you want.

It is also quite possible to use either type of deck to divine likely possibilities, which in some cases may tell you things you know on some level but don't want to see. If this upsets you, don't do it: your unconscious may be saying that you shouldn't be doing it at the moment. Personally, while intrigued by ouija my mind says 'NO'. I listen to her on the basis that if she worries then it WILL affect me adversely whether other people think it will or not. And the converse is also true. I'm personally happy with tarot and oracles.

For me, both types of deck are just painted cardboard. I believe that it's your head that provides the answers to the questions you are asking with the cards as a kind of prompt.... which is why different people get different stuff from the same cards. And, if you don't want to know then the best thing is just not to ask the question.

If you want to work with angels, but don't want to get into card reading per se, then I can recommend these http://www.findhorn.org/inspiration/angels.php which are usually available from amazon as well as direct from Innerlinks. The Intuitive Solutions cards http://www.innerlinks.com/products.php#4 are also brilliant for self-coaching and include a set of angels. They can be challenging, but are designed for self reflection and development rather than anything else.

Aerin

ps edited to say: I see you live in the UK. Amazon usually do the angel cards, but the shop at Findhorn have stocks of things and can post stuff too... they are very nice people http://www.phoenixshop.co.uk/ and will mail order anything they have whether or not it is in the online store (my experience anyway)

Ange

Thank you both for your replies.... :)

I've decided to give the tarot time, to just look at the book for now, and to get the cards out and just hold them, and look at them as a thing of beauty...which the Mystic Faerie deck is.....and let it come back in it's own time.....not push myself, and to stop feeling bad about things that I have no control over.
Ang x

dinah1

Hi Ange

Just go with what feels right for you - if you are uncomfortable about your cards at the moment put them away out of sight (try not to throw them away :grin:), as you were obviously attracted to them in the first place for some (probably special) reason...

When you do come to open your cards why not light a candle and ask for love and light to surround you so that you feel totally protected from whatever your fears may be? If you have a favourite crystal have that near you too...

Hope this helps

Ange

dinah1 said:
Hi Ange

Just go with what feels right for you - if you are uncomfortable about your cards at the moment put them away out of sight (try not to throw them away :grin:), as you were obviously attracted to them in the first place for some (probably special) reason...

When you do come to open your cards why not light a candle and ask for love and light to surround you so that you feel totally protected from whatever your fears may be? If you have a favourite crystal have that near you too...

Hope this helps

Yes I'll do that Dinah, thank you...
Ang x

Mellifluous

Ange said:
Thank you both for your replies.... :)

I've decided to give the tarot time, to just look at the book for now, and to get the cards out and just hold them, and look at them as a thing of beauty...which the Mystic Faerie deck is.....and let it come back in it's own time.....not push myself, and to stop feeling bad about things that I have no control over.
Ang x

Good for you. :love:

And you're welcome. Wishing you all the best! :)

Chronata

I think the tarot can be harsh sometimes, or at the very least brutally honest.

In particular, the entire sword suit of the Mystic Faerie deck has a sad and frustrating little story to contend with. (even though I do believe the cards are beautiful.)

Sometimes you need to be gentle with yourself, and one of the many angel oracle decks out there can be great for that.

Each one has it's own system, but usually a card a day for guidance or support is a nice way to use them.

After reading you other post elsewhere...Istill recommend a Doreen Virtue deck (Maybe Healing with the Angels?)
I don't particularly use her decks because I like a little more balance of good and bad...but sometimes you just need to hear the messages of Light for awhile.

Especially when your own heart is healing.

There is a thread here about different angel decks that you could research...

I will see if I can find it later for you...my search isn't working too well right now!

Chronata

multiple posts!

Ange

I've just found a deck , Healing with the Angels, and they look very nice....so I've bought them.

My thoughts are that the Angels will be my everyday deck for a while....while my Mystic Faerie will be my special deck that has wanted me to buy it for so long.

Best of both worlds... :)

Thank you to everyone on both threads who have brought me to this happy conclusion....

Ang x