Other decks than the Thoth?

periwinkling

Since having discovered Crowley's Thoth deck, other decks just don't seem to compare. So I was curious - what other decks do you, fellow Crowley Thoth enthusiasts, use or like? I'm not necessarily asking about similar decks - I would imagine that in order to compare it would have to have it's own backbone like the Thoth does.

Emily

The Liber T is a Thoth-like clone. You can easily use it with Thoth books but the Liber T does have the addition of the Decans. The Decans are not mentioned in the Thoth books so the Liber T does take on a character and feel of its own. It might look Thoth but it does its own thing.

I like the smaller scenes on the Minors, they are my favourite cards in the deck. You have the Thoth scene above and then the smaller scenes below. The Majors look Thoth like but the artwork is very fluid, the artwork is done, I think, in coloured pencil. It doesn't have the keywords on it like the Thoth does but it is easy to read, a total beginner might struggle a bit especially if they have been using RWS but it is a very forgiving deck. :)

Richard

The Liber T is a Thoth-like clone. You can easily use it with Thoth books but the Liber T does have the addition of the Decans. The Decans are not mentioned in the Thoth books so the Liber T does take on a character and feel of its own. It might look Thoth but it does its own thing.

I don't think I understand your statement that "The Decans are not mentioned in the Thoth books......" Each Minor in the Thoth deck has the Decan indicated on the face of the card with the symbol for the Planet and the Zodiac sign. Also, in the description of the Minors in Part IV of The Book of Thoth, the Decan of each card is given; and on page 283 of my edition there is a table of the Decans together with the card titles. The Decans are vital to Crowley's interpretation of the Thoth Minors.

cmarie

I also use the Universal Waite pocket edition, and often times the Cosmic Tarot. They each have a slightly different take, which adds to my understanding of the cards. I started with the Thoth, and it is my main deck - but using and working with these other decks has taught me so much! They build off one another.

Personally I would recommend getting another deck that you really like, and which speaks to you...you'll be amazed at how much you learn. Plus it is fun!:D

Richard

I am somewhat of a rogue Thelemite. I use the Waite deck (Smith-Waite Centennial), but one of my main references is The Book of Thoth. I prefer the subtlety of the Waite images to the more in-your-face esotericism of the Thoth.

Aeon418

I don't think I understand your statement that "The Decans are not mentioned in the Thoth books......"

The extra scenes that appear on the Liber T minor cards are a loose interpretation of the magical images of the decans. You can find a description of each one in Liber 777, columns CXLIX, CL, CLI.

periwinkling

I do have other decks, just looking for inspiration! I really liked the Cosmic Tarot cmarie! But, for some reason, most other decks just feel "meh" right now. Maybe I should just give myself time to absorb more of the wisdom in the Thoth :)

Oh no, just discovered the lovely Greenwood tarot... But it's out of print and very sought after it seems :/

I'm considering the Crystal Tarots, and have looked at the Aquarian Tarot for quite a while, but have also been disappointed by many decks. You just don't know until you have a go with the cards...

Richard

The extra scenes that appear on the Liber T minor cards are a loose interpretation of the magical images of the decans. You can find a description of each one in Liber 777, columns CXLIX, CL, CLI.

Thanks!

WolfyJames

Considering I've never used the Thoth I'm not sure if I should answer, but I prefer the Liber T over the Thoth. The Liber T is awesome! Scion does not post much anymore but he has written a guide of sort about the Liber T, if you beg him I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a copy. Also his enthusiasm and love for the deck have changed the opinion of quite a few people here on ATF about the deck, considering the deck was trashed by most people here when it was published. So much that Riccardo from Lo Scarabeo, who was planning to can the deck and stop its publication, changed his mind after Scion, and the new converted fans, publically voiced their voices against, mine included. In other words, grab a Liber T before Riccardo changes his mind ;).

My latest love is the Tarot of Vampyres. While I'm sure many disagree with me I personally think it takes a lot from the Thoth, including the quaballah.

Emily

I don't think I understand your statement that "The Decans are not mentioned in the Thoth books......" Each Minor in the Thoth deck has the Decan indicated on the face of the card with the symbol for the Planet and the Zodiac sign. Also, in the description of the Minors in Part IV of The Book of Thoth, the Decan of each card is given; and on page 283 of my edition there is a table of the Decans together with the card titles. The Decans are vital to Crowley's interpretation of the Thoth Minors.

I know they are mentioned in The Book of Thoth but there are many that use the Thoth deck that don't read The Book of Thoth and other Thoth books only touch on the Decans. The Decans on the Liber T are very visible on the Minor cards. Like WolfyJames, I don't use the Thoth much prefering the artwork of the Liber T.

Your comment however, did make me get my copy of the Book of Thoth out and I am now determined to read through it and not just dib into in as I usually do. :)

I also love Scion's guide to the Liber T and I was one of the converted.