painted Visconti copies

Myrrha

I love the Visconti cards. At first I thought I wanted to copy all the majors but using the Strength card from the Cary-Yale deck rather than the one that is in the Visconti-Sforza set.

It is amazing to have an actual painted card in your hand rather than a reproduction. Even with my very limited painting skills there is something bright and immediate about a painted card.

Because the idea is to have a hand-painted deck I am painting them at the actual size rather than making a larger painting to be reproduced. It is really hard to put much detail into such a small space. (these are much smaller than the original Visconti cards, a little bigger than the average Lo Scarabeo deck)

The first attachment is the Star, the second is Strength. The fur lining of her cloak isn't finished yet but I traded the deck so now I have to find a picture.

Then I decided to try using manuscript illuminations from around the same period for sources rather than copying the whole deck. I have versions of the Moon, Justice, Lucifer, and I'm almost done with Death. However, I'm not so happy with these and might go back to the Visconti cards or try to do these over with different images. Certian of the Visconti cards I appreciate but don't necessarily need in my deck, like Death, and some like Justice I don't relate to much. On the other hand it might be nice to have a complete set. The painted cards feel so luxurious.

I didn't leave a space for borders because I like borderless cards and because I wanted the cards to be small. I wish now that I'd put borders because it might go better with the style of the cards.

well, thanks for looking!
--Myrrha

Attachments

• IMG_star.jpg
    IMG_star.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_strength.jpg
    IMG_strength.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_moon.jpg
    IMG_moon.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_justice.jpg
    IMG_justice.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_luce.jpg
    IMG_luce.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 122

jackdaw*

That's awesome, Myrrha! That will be a treasure when it's done :D

I agree using the Cary-Yale version of Strength; I think it's much more attractive.

MeeWah

Myrrha: Since I do not know the Visconti-Sforza nor the Cary-Yale (but not due to lack of interest), my comments based solely on your paintings. After seeing these paintings, however, I am reminded to look for those decks.

Expect that painting each card a unique experience for not only the investment of self in the painting, but in the particular imagery.

Your paintings rich in the use of colour; light & shadow. & particularly in showing form & depth. The details such that the paintings seem 'life-size'. & especially like that gold textured background. Is that achieved with a textured paper stock or some other technique?

I like The Star & Strength--they are very evocative. & that Lucifer (?) relates to the serpent (in the Garden in Eden?) & to the kundalini.

The Moon, Justice & Lucifer intriguing for their imagery & also very evocative of associations.

These paintings fascinating, so looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Myrrha

Thank you both, Jackdaw and Mee-Wah for your comments.

Mee-Wah, the gold is designer's gouach painted over watercolor paper. It looks textured when the light hits it certain ways because of the grain of the watercolor paper. The photos are a bit grainy and unclear as well.

The Lucifer card was meant to refer to the garden of Eden. I miss the fire and sexuality of the more usual Devil cards but this idea of Lucifer as a positive force for evolution seemed to want to be in my deck.

--Myrrha

The 78th Fool

What a fantastic idea ! Beautiful paintings and something to treasure !

Chris. xx

Pumpkin

Very lovely paintings. I love cards with gold on them and these look wonderful.

thinbuddha

Very nice work- especially in such a small format. Keep going! I am working on a similar project based on TdM designs - my cards won't be as subtle as yours (this is both by design and through lack of talent on my part). I'm jealous of your talent... I don't think I can paint like that- at least not at the moment.

There is something absolutly magical in a deck of cards made up of original pieces of art. If you finish, this deck will be a treasure for you and your family for many generations to come.... until some thankless great great ...??... great great grandchild decides to sell them for a down payment on a hovercar.

-tb

Queen of Pentacle

What a wonderfull project Myrrha!

Your "enluminures" looks lovely like antique jewelled. What a wonderfull way to intégrate the Visconti Deck!

Bravo!

Pincho Paxton

You have taught me about the Visconti Cards by reading your thread, then checking them out. Good idea to make them. I like your gold effect! It must be fun to add the four missing cards as well, making them whatever you want, and the set is still true, because nobody knows what they looked like. Keep going!

Paul.

Chronata

Brilliant Myrrha!

Your paintings are lovely, and really evoke the mystery of the Visconti style...

I love the moon card! What a great image! And Lucifer is just too cool!

I too love the shiny gold surface...and you are right... there is something just wonderful about a hand painted card!

Hope you keep it up!