Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set--100 Years!

tarotbear

There is no guarantee that the images used in the slide show 'are' necessarily from the deck ... :( ... how many times have you seen an ad that says 'stock photo.'

***ETA ***

I just checked my PCS Commemorative set (not the stand-alone deck) and all the images have square corners, the cards have squarish rounded corners, and they all have '2009 US Games' in the lower right corner.

lalalibra

Where did you get that idea from? I see no mention of it.

Could it be that lalalibra thought that the example of Pixie's artwork shown in the slideshow was a new design for the back? That would be my guess.

Yes, that's what I had thought. Although, I wasn't entirely sure of it (note the "?"), it was just the impression I got. Excuse me if it had been an incorrect assumption; I didn't want to cause any confusion. I thought it might be the backing since it's pictured for a stand-alone deck after all, without any extras like in the set...

And I could be wrong about the border colors as well. It really looks beige on my screen.

Although, it would really make the most sense for the deck to be identical to the one in the set.

kalliope

Yes, that's what I had thought. Although, I wasn't entirely sure of it (note the "?"), it was just the impression I got. Excuse me if it had been an incorrect assumption; I didn't want to cause any confusion. I thought it might be the backing since it's pictured for a stand-alone deck after all, without any extras like in the set...

No worries -- I figured that's what you thought because it's understandable why you'd think it! It's only because I read the whole description that I noticed this last bit: "plus four samples of Pixie’s non-tarot artwork: Much Ado About Nothing, The Gates of Dreamland, Christmas Carol and Once in a Dream." So they're sneaking in four little extras even with the stand-alone deck. :grin:

lalalibra

No worries -- I figured that's what you thought because it's understandable why you'd think it! It's only because I read the whole description that I noticed this last bit: "plus four samples of Pixie’s non-tarot artwork: Much Ado About Nothing, The Gates of Dreamland, Christmas Carol and Once in a Dream." So they're sneaking in four little extras even with the stand-alone deck. :grin:

Ahh, I see. Thank you! A good reminder to read the "fine print," so to speak! :p

tarotbear

They must have had 4 blank cards when they cut the cards out, so they stuck something on them to use them up.

Nemia

Actually, I'm not so sure. The extra artwork is in different format - both wider and higher than the cards. Is it possible to print together and cut with different machines? The print quality and texture is different, too. I'm no expert but I would say that the cards and the artwork were not printed in one batch and then just cut to size.

This magical box just arrived here and I'm wowed. It's my first RWS deck, the closest I cam to RWS iconography was the much-beloved Morgan Greer. Now I have this wonderfully muted and somehow aged-but-fresh looking deck and it's just what I would have wished.

I'm so glad I bought it. It was a moment of madness because I bought too many decks since my tarot enthusiasm re-kindled (four in one month!!! after a dry spell of years without buying!) but this one is a must. Pamela Smith is really honoured as I feel she should. It's such a beautiful box. The only little thing that is a tiny but under par for me is the organza bag. I've seen better bags, i.e., I make my own bags. But really, considering the wonderful goodies in the box, it's ridiculous even to mention the little bag. It's nice enough - but the rest of the box is fabulous.

So now I will have to study this deck. I took out my old Rachel Pollack book and have been listening to John Ballantraes absolutely enlightening videos. And I might even try to grapple Waite himself. Phew.

A wonderful feeling. I can't help asking myself what the artist herself would have thought, could she have known how revered she would be one day.

tarotbear

I meant the extra cards/illustrations included in the stand-alone version of the deck.

Nemia

Ah, sorry, how silly of me.

But I could vent my excitement!

delizt

does anyone actually have this deck yet? Other than those 4 cards, does it differ in anyway from the one that came with the set?