Pearls of Wisdom 3rd Ed

The Happy Squirrel

My jumbo deck finally arrived and I just love it! I contemplated the poker size as I had trouble shuffling even the 2nd ed which is smaller than the jumbo.

However I feel Roxi's amazingly rich paintings justify an attempt on my part to adopt a different shuffling technique :p

The surface texture is perfect.

The deck shuffles beautifully.

The resolution: YES!

But, I wish the card stock is a little thicker. Although this means a pretty chunky deck given the jumbo is kinda big.

I also wish that all the various booklets are just one booklet :)

Anyone else has the 3rd ed and how are you guys finding it...??

The Happy Squirrel

I would love to hear experiences of the Guided Meditation booklet as well :) I am beginning to regret not getting the pack which include this!

Hexi

happy to hear

happy to hear you are enjoying the jumbo third edition deck. I too am happy with the detail and size of jumbo cards. The workbook/journal is coming soon. I posted a few photos for those not familiar with the deck.

Also in the platinum edition all the books are now in one booklet.

The nice thing about this self publishing format, is that we can make changes, so I am open to suggestions. cheers Hexi

Attachments

• Pearls of Wisdom Tarot (3 of 19)-2.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom Tarot (3 of 19)-2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 183
  • Pearls of Wisdom-9.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom-9.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 182
  • Pearls of Wisdom-11.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom-11.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Pearls of Wisdom-10.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom-10.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 173

The Happy Squirrel

Hi Hexi!

CARD STOCK

I don't riffle shuffle so I prefer thicker card stock :) Compared to your 2nd ed this is thinner but all the improvements especially the resolution and lack of lamination for me far outweigh the initial jolt of finding the cards are thinner compared to the 2nd ed. But, in a perfect world, for me the cards would be thicker (please don't throw stones at me).

In any case you can't make everyone happy as everyone has a different way around the cards that makes either this way or that way around the various card stock attributes better or not so much. I prefer thick and matt :) A few of my favourite card-stock on self published decks appeared to have all been printed / produced in Hong Kong. Judging from the comments in the forum I am not the only one liking those :) But I am not familiar with deck production so I can only imagine that Game Crafter just makes things easier with being a one shop stop for creators.

BOOKLET/S

Personally, I could not tell immediately the differences between "Complete Wisdom" and "Pearl of Wisdom" booklet. I am still trying to understand the difference at the moment. I can only see that they are formatted differently. Maybe the wordings differ slightly?

If I recall correctly from the 2nd ed booklet (which I seem to have misplaced at the moment so I can't double check) the previous booklet not only explained meaning of each cards but also gave some form of reflection. So I initially thought that the "Complete Wisdom" included these reflections, and the "Pearls of wisdom" booklet only list meanings of cards.

If I recall correctly the previous edition booklet also included a list of symbols used in each majors and the meanings of each of these symbols. These includes (if I recall correctly) stones, flowers, animals, fruit, etc. These are listed per card as they occurred in each. I personally found this to be extremely helpful.

The way the current 3rd ed booklets are titled, I couldn't immediately tell where these symbols are listed. I made an educated guess and found them in the "Alphabetical Listings" booklet.

So as I beginner I have to go back and forth between the two booklets.

If I am not wrong, in the previous booklet, the symbology was explained card by card throughout the major arcana so that by the time we arrived at the minors, we are already familiar with all the Pearls of Wisdom symbology.

Also, with the symbols being listed alphabetically in the current booklet, I have to already know what items constitute a symbol for something else, before I go looking for its meaning.

Having a list of symbols which each card was great when I first started last year, because I came from the position of knowing nothing of whether something is a symbol and what those things could possibly mean. The list of symbols and its meaning per card drew me to look for those things in the card, realised that those are in fact symbols, and understand in greater detail what is conveyed there.

Now some of you may find this level ignorance laughable and that this deck is NOT for a beginner or anyone who may need too much hand holding. In which case fair enough.

But those have been my experience nevertheless.

Having said all that I LOVE my deck :)

Hexi

books

Glad you are enjoying the deck. The Pearls of Wisdom booklet is a like a mini reading from each card, or the message from each card. the complete wisdom is a more involved write up for each card. the alphabetical listing gives the meanings of the unique symbols used in the deck, while the guided meditations are just that for the major arcana.

coming soon is a workbook/journal that goes deeper into the meanings of the major arcana and symbolism in the deck, like a little course in the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot.

which books you receive depends on your package, the Platinum edition now has all the books in one book. And the cardstock has apparently recently changed, not sure if you got the new stock or not, it is said to be black core but I don't know if that shows on the side or not. I will be ordering a few decks to see what difference it is.

The Happy Squirrel

Oh I would love to know the difference! :)

Carla

I have the 2nd edition. Could you post the 2nd edition side by side with the 3rd edition (both sizes) so we can see the difference in size and resolution? Thanks!

Hexi

comparison of editions of Pearls of Wisdom Tarot

as requested here are some pics to show the difference between the first and second and third editions of the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot.

first and second editions are 72 dpi, third editions are 300 dpi. Also all the originals were photographed with a Zeiss lens for the 3rd editions so the details are way better, like coming into focus. the colours are wonderful as well, and the cards are borderless.

All and all a huge improvement over the first ones. The books are all newly written by the artist as well and the decks come in a variety of packages to suit your budgets, needs and wants. Also the 3rd editions come in poker and jumbo size.

The workbook journal, an in-depth study into the major arcana is coming soon.

Cheers Hexi www.RoxiArtWork.ca to order

Attachments

• Pearls of Wisdom-14.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom-14.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Pearls of Wisdom-21.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom-21.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 159
  • atimages003.jpg
    atimages003.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Pearls of Wisdom-9.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom-9.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 159
  • Pearls of Wisdom Tarot (13 of 19)-2.jpg
    Pearls of Wisdom Tarot (13 of 19)-2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 156

Carla

Thank you for that, Hexi. I would very much like a jumbo 3rd edition! Must save my pennies.