Pendulum Dowsing Noob - Need Advice!

Pique Dame

I bought my first pendulum just over a week ago and so far I've mostly been using it for advice on buying my first home (something I've been trying to accomplish for over 9 months now without success). I've also asked about other things and it's been pretty accurate so far. However, one thing it's been pretty wrong on are questions involving numbers and timing. I asked it if I'm correct in assuming the spirit world and I do not regard numbers or the passage of time the same way and it told me No. Yet, anytime I've asked a time/number question, it gets it wrong.

For example: I submitted an offer on a home late Monday night. I asked if I would hear back on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc. It said Yes to Thursday. I asked if they would counter my offer, it said Yes. I asked if they would counter at X amount, or Y amount, etc. until it said Yes. I asked if there would be any other terms or conditions of the counter offer besides a higher sale price, it said No. What ended up happening is I heard back Friday morning with a counter offer for an amount $7,000 higher than the pendulum said, and with 2 additional conditions to the terms of the sale. The only thing the pendulum got right was that they would counter, which I already knew going in because it's just how the game is played. Since then, I submitted a counter-counter offer Friday afternoon. I asked if they would accept this one and it said Yes (still TBD). I asked if I would hear back by the end of the day Saturday, it said Yes (I didn't). I asked if there would be any other conditions they would ask before accepting, and it said No (still TBD). The pendulum keeps telling me I am going to get this place and that it's absolutely the home I'm supposed to buy, and I made my offer based on its advice. But now that it's proving to be pretty inaccurate in a lot of ways, I'm worried it could be wrong about me buying this place.

I also asked it yesterday (Saturday) if I would see my boyfriend that night and got No, I got No for Sunday, etc. up until Thursday. Minutes later, he texted me saying, "Let's get together tomorrow!" Granted, there's still a chance something could come up between now and tonight, but already it appears to be wrong again about timing.

There are so many moving parts involved in real estate transactions, so do you think it's mostly a case of human interference? Or am I being given bad guidance? How accurate have you all experienced your pendulums to be? Have they been pretty spot on with timing questions? Have they ever been completely off and, if so, was there a reason for that that you know of? Do you have any advice for how to maximize its accuracy and get the most out of it?

blueeyetea

That's a tough one to answer. What I see lacking in your questions is that the owner might be receiving offers from other people. Other conditions might come into play that you didn't anticipate and won't know to ask.

On the other hand, I wonder if the pendulum is an appropriate tool for such a question. I think it works best when I need to make a choice among several options.

Pique Dame

That's a tough one to answer. What I see lacking in your questions is that the owner might be receiving offers from other people. Other conditions might come into play that you didn't anticipate and won't know to ask.

On the other hand, I wonder if the pendulum is an appropriate tool for such a question. I think it works best when I need to make a choice among several options.

Hi, blueeyetea. I actually asked if the owner's had any other offers and it said No. How I narrowed it down to that particular condo being The One is when I first picked up the pendulum and started playing with it, I asked the following series of questions: Should keep renting for another year and pay down my car/student loans rather than buying a place? No. Will I buy a place and move before the end of my current lease? Yes. Is the place I'm supposed to buy currently on the market? Yes. Is it the one I just saw in Condo Development X? No. Is it one of the ones in Condo Development Y? Yes. Is it the one I just looked at today? No. Is it the one I saw on Thursday? No. Is it one I've already seen? Yes. (That left only one other unit.) Is it the one I saw last Sunday? Yes.

So that's how I got there. I submitted my offer 2 days later and I asked will they counter, will they counter at X amount, etc. until it said yes to a number, which ended up not being correct. I ended up countering at the number my pendulum told me they would. I asked if they would accept and it said Yes. They didn't. The place still hasn't sold so I plan to follow up/resbmit my last offer to see if they'll reconsider. It keeps telling me they will accept that amount eventually and that this is the place I'm going to buy and be living in within the next month. I've asked if there's anything else I need to do for this deal to go through, and it says No. So I feel like I've asked all the right questions, but the timing/numbers continue to be off.

Interestingly, though, my bf and I ended up not seeing each other on Sunday like we'd planned. The water heater sprung a leak at his investment property so he had to drive 3 hours to get that fixed and couldn't meet up. So that part ended up being right. But it also kept saying we were going to see each other Thursday. I asked if he would come out with me and my friends on Friday night. No. Would he make it to the hike/winery with me and my friends on Saturday? Yes. None of those ended up being true. I saw him Friday but not Thursday or Saturday. It's saying the next time we'll see each other is this Friday, so we'll see.

Apollonia

IMO a pendulum isn't always the most reliable divinatory tool, and it takes a while before you can develop a working relationship and understand what areas it will and won't be accurate in. I do use a pendulum as an adjunct to my Tarot readings, but having worked with it for years, I know that it is only accurate for certain types of questions and even so, I will nearly always double check with the cards.

In any case, I would never recommend trusting any recently adopted tool for advice on such a significant, life changing issue as purchasing a new home. For me, anyway, there is usually a lengthy test period for any new method, and during that time I might ask questions of it that I or someone else already know the answer to, but I wouldn't make decisions based on what it said.

Dogs&Coffee

I always found pendulums a bit unreliable, mostly because even if we hold very still, there is no way to be still completely, and our movements will effect the way the pendulum swings, leaving it open to "corrupt" readings.

That aside, I find the process of using them for certain things (clearing your cards, simple but unimportant yes/no, etc) to be very meditative.

Pique Dame

IMO a pendulum isn't always the most reliable divinatory tool, and it takes a while before you can develop a working relationship and understand what areas it will and won't be accurate in. I do use a pendulum as an adjunct to my Tarot readings, but having worked with it for years, I know that it is only accurate for certain types of questions and even so, I will nearly always double check with the cards.

In any case, I would never recommend trusting any recently adopted tool for advice on such a significant, life changing issue as purchasing a new home. For me, anyway, there is usually a lengthy test period for any new method, and during that time I might ask questions of it that I or someone else already know the answer to, but I wouldn't make decisions based on what it said.

I have been using it in conjunction with the cards, too. I've even done readings asking the cards about its accuracy. Most recently, I asked the pendulum if I would hear back about my last offer by this day or that day and finally got a yes. But, when I asked if that time was subject to changes or delays, it said yes. It seems to think it'll happen no later than this coming Sunday/Monday, though. I asked it about purchasing a home because the cards weren't giving me very specific directions other than I would be changing residences before the current lease ends. The places I was interested in bidding on, though, kept falling through for one reason or another, so I was getting discouraged and decided to consult another means for more definitive answers.

I've done tests with some of my friends, too, asking questions they already knew the answers to, and it was pretty dead on. I asked about a friend's upcoming job interview and it said she'd be offered a job but for the same salary she was currently making, not more or less. All of that ended up being true.

Pique Dame

I always found pendulums a bit unreliable, mostly because even if we hold very still, there is no way to be still completely, and our movements will effect the way the pendulum swings, leaving it open to "corrupt" readings.

That aside, I find the process of using them for certain things (clearing your cards, simple but unimportant yes/no, etc) to be very meditative.

I have yet to feel like my arm movements are swaying it one way or another. It almost feels like a force beyond myself is moving it, so I just sit still with my elbow resting on the surface and let it do its thing. Something I try not to make the mistake of doing, though, is not giving it enough time to change directions if it needs to. I think I did that before and got false answers, so now I'll let it sit and swing for a bit before moving on to my next question.

This may belong in the Your Readings section but I asked my cards earlier this week how accurate my pendulum's timing abilities are and got 10 of Swords. The phrase that I heard was "Dead on." I asked how set in stone timing is and got Emperor, which I heard "Set in stone" (he's sitting on a stone throne and the Emperor is about rigidity, structure, and order). I asked other questions about the inaccurate timings I've received and got cards suggesting delays. It seems that what's supposed to happen will happen, but is open to delays along the way due to free will and other human interference.

Dogs&Coffee

I have yet to feel like my arm movements are swaying it one way or another. It almost feels like a force beyond myself is moving it, so I just sit still with my elbow resting on the surface and let it do its thing. Something I try not to make the mistake of doing, though, is not giving it enough time to change directions if it needs to. I think I did that before and got false answers, so now I'll let it sit and swing for a bit before moving on to my next question.

This may belong in the Your Readings section but I asked my cards earlier this week how accurate my pendulum's timing abilities are and got 10 of Swords. The phrase that I heard was "Dead on." I asked how set in stone timing is and got Emperor, which I heard "Set in stone" (he's sitting on a stone throne and the Emperor is about rigidity, structure, and order). I asked other questions about the inaccurate timings I've received and got cards suggesting delays. It seems that what's supposed to happen will happen, but is open to delays along the way due to free will and other human interference.

It wouldn't be major noticeable movements, but by the very nature of being alive, the human body is incapable of being still... our pulse, breath, involuntary twitching, and other small nearly unperceivable movements while we're concentrating on the question at hand will influence the pendulum. Think Dr. Ian Malcom's water thingy a'la Jurassic Park. I actually filmed my hand once while doing a card clearing, and the amount of moving my hand did was amazing, especially since I braced my elbow on the table top and I thought I was as still as stone.

I also find it helpful to really clear my head before relying on just a pendulum... meditation or some other completely unrelated activity to help remove my emotional investments. Reading a chapter of a book usually really helps me, it's not related in any way to the question I want to ask, and it's relaxing and calming. I get my best answers after that.

As for the 10ofSwords, I usually see this card come up for things like deception and taking bad advice, and the fallout that results, and the Emperor for me is about logic and order. It could mean that until you have more pendulum practice, it would be best to take timing questions with a grain of salt, or perhaps to approach your questions more methodically and logically?

Pique Dame

It wouldn't be major noticeable movements, but by the very nature of being alive, the human body is incapable of being still... our pulse, breath, involuntary twitching, and other small nearly unperceivable movements while we're concentrating on the question at hand will influence the pendulum. Think Dr. Ian Malcom's water thingy a'la Jurassic Park. I actually filmed my hand once while doing a card clearing, and the amount of moving my hand did was amazing, especially since I braced my elbow on the table top and I thought I was as still as stone.

I also find it helpful to really clear my head before relying on just a pendulum... meditation or some other completely unrelated activity to help remove my emotional investments. Reading a chapter of a book usually really helps me, it's not related in any way to the question I want to ask, and it's relaxing and calming. I get my best answers after that.

As for the 10ofSwords, I usually see this card come up for things like deception and taking bad advice, and the fallout that results, and the Emperor for me is about logic and order. It could mean that until you have more pendulum practice, it would be best to take timing questions with a grain of salt, or perhaps to approach your questions more methodically and logically?

It's possible I still need to practice more or get to know my pendulum better (although how much practice does it require to learn yes or no answers?). I might start a practice thread on here at some point.