Personalized Lenormand decks?

Aster Breo

I'm going to be working with a friend who is an artist, to create my "dream" Lenormand deck -- that is, a deck that shows the symbols exactly the way I want them.

I'm thinking, too, about extra cards to include. And one idea I had is to make a personalized deck, with cards specific to the important individuals in my life. So, there would be a card to specifically represent my husband, cards for each of my kids, a card for me, etc.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this, so I'm wondering what experiences others have had with personalized decks. Any advice?

(I realize that including personalized cards will make my deck a Lenormand-style oracle deck, rather than a true, traditional Lenormand deck. I'm planning to set it up so extra cards can be removed to make a traditional deck.)

reall

Hi!:)) and welcome to creator team!:))
I had fantastic expirience with making my own deck!:)) my fav ever! no need to say it work like a charm for me! and every day I find something new about it! book is still in progress!:))

it all started like you say simple idea; to make deck with images just the way I like it!
and at first I was thinking to add just few extra cards but end up painting full oracle deck!:)) I even made a web page https://sites.google.com/site/chakralenormand/home
and blog http://creativenlight.blogspot.ba/
and offer it for sale on my PS shop as full oracle deck or classical 36 card lenormand http://www.printerstudio.com/sell/s...702BCE71B8808AC28F727B24EC57D2D4916BBC34EF545

and best thing about making your deck is full freedom to make whatewer you want!:))
so just do whatevew you want!:)) and keep it up till completed!:))
just be prepared; it'll take much time and effort to push it to happy end!:))
and if you work with artist make sure you get along well so you won't fight that much and end up ditched somewhere in the middle!x,x ;)))

Aster Breo

Thanks, Reall! I'm excited about this project. :-D

I've looked at your deck and I see that you included a bunch of extra cards. How did you decide what to include? How did you decide on the interpretations of your extra symbols?

Unless I missed something, though, your deck isn't personalized, right? At least, not in the way I'm thinking of.

I'm considering making cards that would specifically and only represent members of my family. They'd be simple portraits of each of us, or our monograms, or symbols linked to us.

Obviously, they'd only be useful in our own readings. So, if we decide to sell our deck, we probably wouldn't include those personalized cards. On the other hand, if my artist is up for it, we could maybe offer personalized decks for sale, where he'd draw custom cards a requested by the buyer.

Has anyone else ever done or seen a deck with custom or personalized cards like that? If so, how did it work?

reall

oh! yeah! making your deck is exciting road full of surprises!^^ XD :))

I started with simple idea like you, and like everyone else was thinking about adding extra m and w card and one or two extra card but as I started paining it take me in another direction and I relized I have ideas for more cards and I could easly make it full playing card deck!:))
so I played with it in my head a while and somehow it all fit by time!:)) may only thank my muse for inspiration or I hit it in right time of the horoscop as all fit perfectly!:)) you can read all about that on my blog!^^ until book is completed!^^ I plan to add chapter about process from idea to rezlization as well!:)) basicly just relax and think what you wish to do and do what you feel like!^^ if you want extra cards it's good to have concept of their mening i.e one keyword is enough or idea how would you like to present them? it will all build up as you work with it! and your deck will be hi personalized so there is no need to consult anyone!^^ :))

and in case you wish to publish it you can always toss out some cards? or insert alternative design?:)) thats what I did with my poker size plastic deck/I added one card just for myself!^^ others won't get that in published poker or mini edition!^^:))

not sure anyone did that with portraits but I know of personalized decks with requested images for some cards ie ring, clover, lady/gentlman kid to be made from photos but I don't have expirience working with those decks?

for me it's all the same; lady is always female querent or women of interest and gentlman is man querent or m of interest and kid can be one or more kids or something new or small?:)) etc and your deck will probably have more artistic and family legacy value and help you feel conected?:))

btw when I was starting this project I had same idea to offer to personalize/redesign one or few cards if people don't like my design here but give up on that as it would take to much time! and I already write a book and have other things to do! so thats out for now!

best luck! be sure to note all about it!^^ as I'm sure reading about it will be interesting as well!^^:)) and be sure to post us about your progress!^^

all best!
till next!^^

eldritchgreene

I went ahead and did this a few months ago, so if you need any advice feel free to contact me. :)

One thing I can think of right now is even though illustrations are very hard work and should be a main focus, don't forget to involve someone in the project who is good at Graphic Design, when it comes to the final product, layout, formats, and printing, it will be essential to know some of the Adobe tools and standard printing practices (such as CMYK color).

It's not just scanning and uploading unfortunately!

I spent A LOT of time working out design quirks on my computer, getting the right formats, laying out the cards, fixing colours, exporting files etc.

Good luck with everything!

Aster Breo

I went ahead and did this a few months ago, so if you need any advice feel free to contact me. :)

One thing I can think of right now is even though illustrations are very hard work and should be a main focus, don't forget to involve someone in the project who is good at Graphic Design, when it comes to the final product, layout, formats, and printing, it will be essential to know some of the Adobe tools and standard printing practices (such as CMYK color).

It's not just scanning and uploading unfortunately!

I spent A LOT of time working out design quirks on my computer, getting the right formats, laying out the cards, fixing colours, exporting files etc.

Good luck with everything!

Sigh...

Why does everything have to be so complicated? ;-)

celticnoodle

I'm going to be working with a friend who is an artist, to create my "dream" Lenormand deck -- that is, a deck that shows the symbols exactly the way I want them.

I'm thinking, too, about extra cards to include. And one idea I had is to make a personalized deck, with cards specific to the important individuals in my life. So, there would be a card to specifically represent my husband, cards for each of my kids, a card for me, etc.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this, so I'm wondering what experiences others have had with personalized decks. Any advice?

(I realize that including personalized cards will make my deck a Lenormand-style oracle deck, rather than a true, traditional Lenormand deck. I'm planning to set it up so extra cards can be removed to make a traditional deck.)

I've been thinking of making my own deck for years and have yet to start. The idea first came to me after I got the Kat Blacks Golden Tarot because there were cards in that deck that showed famous artwork, though slightly adapted. One card in particular (one of the Queens)looks so much like a woman I know that every time I read w/that deck, I think of her, and that particular card describes this same woman to a tee. This is when I thought it would be cool to do my own deck and include the portraits of people whom I know that fits well within the deck. However, I never went much further then that, except to purchase blank cards to create my own deck(s). I purchased 2 sizes--the usual size of tarot like the Rider Waite is in and then smaller size--the perfect size for a Lenormand.

I am really now just getting into using the Lennies, and I love your idea. I might do the same thing and make my own deck too. I'm wondering though, how would you use the extras in the case of doing a Grand Tableau? Would you just add an extra row or two of cards (depending on how many extras you have?) or would you hold the 'extras'--aside till the G.T. was layed out and then shuffle those remaining cards and picking a House and card to lay the extras out on top of to be read together? (if you can understand my meaning here?).

I would be very interested in seeing your finished product too. Good Luck!

celticnoodle

Sigh...

Why does everything have to be so complicated? ;-)

:( I agree. I was hoping that I could just print a picture of them onto a sticker perhaps, or regular paper and then glue it to the card. :laugh: I know its not exactly a professional way to do it--but its not like I was going to try and make many of these to sell to others anyway. If you can find an easy way to do this, Aster, do share with us.

Aster Breo

I never went much further then that, except to purchase blank cards to create my own deck(s). I purchased 2 sizes--the usual size of tarot like the Rider Waite is in and then smaller size--the perfect size for a Lenormand.

Where did you get the blank cards?

I'm wondering though, how would you use the extras in the case of doing a Grand Tableau? Would you just add an extra row or two of cards (depending on how many extras you have?) or would you hold the 'extras'--aside till the G.T. was layed out and then shuffle those remaining cards and picking a House and card to lay the extras out on top of to be read together? (if you can understand my meaning here?).

Ya know, I don't know yet. I've been thinking about that, but haven't decided yet.

I think, if I'm reading for myself or a family member who has a personalized card, I'd leave the extras in.

Other than that, I'm not sure yet.

Aster Breo

:( I agree. I was hoping that I could just print a picture of them onto a sticker perhaps, or regular paper and then glue it to the card. :laugh: I know its not exactly a professional way to do it--but its not like I was going to try and make many of these to sell to others anyway. If you can find an easy way to do this, Aster, do share with us.

I actually have a project in the works to basically do just that. :-D

There's an oracle based on the goddess Brighid, and the author (Ceri Norman) has downloadable art on her website. My husband printed sheets of the art for the 33 cards out on regular paper. The plan is to cut them out, then use spray adhesive to affix it to scrapbook paper. I could have just printed them onto heavy cardstock -- or maybe onto those perforated business cards -- but I want a pretty pattern for the back. I think the scrapbook paper will work for that.

I have some thick, stiff, kinda plastic-y paper to try, as well as some regular scrapbook paper. For the latter, I might end up laminating them. Depends on how they feel when they're finished.

Not sure when we'll finish this project, but I'll try to remember to post pics when I do.