Placement of people on cards in the RWS

Zezina

Rider being the original publisher and Waite being the designer.

Pamela Coleman Smith was the artist who illustrated the original deck.

:heart: *Z*

firecatpickles

Zezina said:
I've always assumed it refers to Rider Waite Tarot.

:heart: *Z*
Oh yes, forgot it's sometimes referred to that way.

Curtis Penfold

Sulis said:
Since we're in the Rider-Waite-Smith forum I'm presuming that Curtis Penfold thinks that that's the abbreviation for the Rider-Waite-Smith deck.

Ouch. RWS. Alright. I'll have to remember that abbreviation.

Curtis Penfold

I guess I'm specifically looking for why the Fool is facing left, not right.

The "Index of RWS Symbolism and Iconography Posts" does not contain the Major Arcana. (Just wanted to mention that).

However, I searched and found a few threads about the RWS Fool. Lots of them mention that he's facing left, but they don't try to explain why.

The Hermit is facing left, and I read in a thread about him that it's because he's reflecting on his past. This doesn't seem to work with the Fool, who should be moving forward, right?

Kosmoran

Isn't the left side related to instinct? The Fool is often said to follow his instincts more than everything. Maybe that's the reason.
Also, the left side is often associated with chaotic and uncontrolled forces, mainly in the Western Tradition.
Moreover, while the Fool look to the left and upwards, the Hermit looks downwards. I would say the Hermit faces the left for he faces the past. If what DevilishAngel said is right, if the future can be related to the right direction, the past is related to the left. This, the Hermit would be looking inside (downwards) and to the past, the origins (the left).

Just an idea.

re-pete-a

Throne ,
seat of power,
set in stone, Law.

Martie

The Devil

The Devil is in some aspects the reverse of the Magician, representing black magic, the misuse of occult forces, hence the "mirroring" of the hand/arm positions. (His "wand" is in the opposite hand, though, and pointing downwards.)
You might also notice the references to the Lovers card (the two lovers bound instead of free), referring to temptation, lust, being bound by materialistic concerns.

Curtis Penfold

Martie, I do enjoy echoes of imagery. Thank you for your insight.

Martie

I forgot this one: its the Devil's pose is also reminiscent of Justice--another reversal.