Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I find the topic too complicated or confusing

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • The topic doesn't interest me enough to join in

Votes: 23 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lee

I've seen several posts in this thread giving "no responses" or "no feedback" as one of the reasons for not posting.

One thing I would hope members consider is that if no one has specifically responded to you in the thread, that doesn't mean your post didn't have an effect on people, and possibly a profound one. Many people read the posts on AT and don't respond to specific posts for one reason or another.

I know it's especially satisfying to have one's post responded to (at least I find it satisfying), but if no one responds, please don't assume that no one has read your post or that no one cares about it. It may have made all the difference for one person or many people.

In fact, my suggestion would be, assume your post would be read with interest and gratitude by several people, even if they don't post in response. And if they do post in response, we can consider that a nice bonus.

prudence

I stopped posting as much when I felt my posts may not even be read. I didn't feel like I was getting feedback or interest in what I brought to the table.

I agree with Lee's response, very much so. Another thing to keep in mind, if you've posted in a reading thread in Your Readings, Using Tarot Cards, Lenormand Readings, Oracle Readings etc, and have helped someone with their cards, you are supposed to get a reply from the thread starter. If you don't, please don't hesitate to contact a moderator from whichever section you've posted in, we will make sure you get feedback for the help you've given. I know a lot of members don't feel comfortable reaching out to us in these situations, but that's why we are here. It's against the rules as well as totally unfair to help out with a reading and get nothing in return.

Back when I first joined, I did feel the way Nica has described when I'd contribute to a regular discussion, and no one would acknowledge what I'd said. But I just kept plugging away, even when I felt discouraged, because I just couldn't help but join in on discussions that interested me or made me feel passionate. And the feeling I'd get when I'd see one of my posts quoted by someone else, it was so cool. (Unless they were quoting me to tear down my point! But even then, at least it was an acknowledgment!! :D)

Onaorkal

It was one of the reasons I gave, and as you say it can be discouraging sometimes.

But after reading a lot of old and long threads on this forum, I came to realize that some discussions are still relevant after years and people will suddenly appear and add up to the conversation.

So I'm sometimes contributing to quite old stuff and maybe that can sparkle a new interest in that subject. Or I dedicate a lot of my time transcribing the work I've done while studying some decks, even if no one ever responds to it. It might be useful eventually for new members or old ones that might discover an interest in that deck!

Metafizzypop

I've seen several posts in this thread giving "no responses" or "no feedback" as one of the reasons for not posting.

One thing I would hope members consider is that if no one has specifically responded to you in the thread, that doesn't mean your post didn't have an effect on people, and possibly a profound one. Many people read the posts on AT and don't respond to specific posts for one reason or another.

I think that one reason someone might not respond to a thread is because they are not a member of AT. They never joined the forum.

I think AT gets a lot of lurkers. Some threads get lots of views, even if they don't get many responses. The threads may be getting read by people doing research, and looking for information. For their purposes, they don't need to join the forum.

Sometimes in New Members I see threads from people who actually say that they're a long-time lurker, and that they're just now joining.

CharlotteK

I know it's especially satisfying to have one's post responded to (at least I find it satisfying), but if no one responds, please don't assume that no one has read your post or that no one cares about it. It may have made all the difference for one person or many people.

In fact, my suggestion would be, assume your post would be read with interest and gratitude by several people, even if they don't post in response. And if they do post in response, we can consider that a nice bonus.
Thank you Lee. I find this post very encouraging :)

Occasionally I've posted a response or opinion on something and had no reaction to it. Then a few replies down someone has posted pretty much the same thing or very similar and had positive reactions.

But like any other situation, sometimes people come into the conversation late and miss what people have previously said. Also let's be honest, some people's opinions carry more weight because they've built up respect and people take more notice of them. It might also be that they express themselves in ways that others find clearer or more resonant. It's a natural part of interaction.

This has happened to me in work situations too where someone else has more or less repeated a suggestion or view I expressed earlier with no response but they get the reactions - "hey great idea" or "that's a really good point". They may have rephrased it or added to it slightly. Perhaps that's what was needed at that time.

I tell myself it's important not to take it personally or let it knock confidence or sit stewing on "but that's what I said!". It's true that people could be reading and taking it in or silently agreeing, especially if they don't have the time to reply or feel the need to do so. And I do think thread discussions can be very iterative where ideas are built on and developed, so earlier contributions even when not acknowledged are material to the direction of the conversation.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

euripides

Occasionally I've posted a response or opinion on something and had no reaction to it. Then a few replies down someone has posted pretty much the same thing or very similar and had positive reactions.

I do get a little frustrated on 'My Readings' feedback posts where sometimes really thorough (and often wise, from one of our more experienced members) advice seems to be defused by less critical comments following - especially when someone is covering some ethically problematic territory. I often wonder if people have actually read the replies before they throw their 2c in.

I think it would be good to try to read replies more and respond to them, rather than just the OP - make it more conversational. I've felt quite unheard at times - but also I've been guilty of skimming over replies because they seem so many. I think I'll try to engage with them more.

Barleywine

The nature of the feedback received is another interesting sub-topic. Apart from helping someone help themselves ("facilitating and enabling"), I usually comment on readings because it helps me organize my thoughts on a subject and try out different approaches to combining the cards. I'm not really expecting exhaustive, card-specific insights from the OP in return (especially if it's a novice), but the range of comments from all contributors is often quite enlightening. Although it doesn't measure up to forum rules, the best feedback from the OP might simply be an update on how the matter was resolved. That's the true test of the accuracy of our input.

As far as knowing if you're being read, you can see how many views your post has had at the right side of the screen. At least it shows how many people opened the post, and we can assume some of them actually read it (unless it fails the "huge block of text" criterion - my personal pet peeve, right after "What does this card mean combined with that one?" It's also a lesson I had to learn myself.)

gregory

As far as knowing if you're being read, you can see how many views your post has had at the right side of the screen. At least it shows how many people opened the post, and we can assume some of them actually read it
Really ? Where ? I know you can see THREAD views, but post views ?

FLizarraga

I stopped posting as much when I felt my posts may not even be read. I didn't feel like I was getting feedback or interest in what I brought to the table.

Ignoring you? Not possible. :love:

I agree with Lee's response, very much so. <snip>

Back when I first joined, I did feel the way Nica has described when I'd contribute to a regular discussion, and no one would acknowledge what I'd said. But I just kept plugging away, even when I felt discouraged, because I just couldn't help but join in on discussions that interested me or made me feel passionate. And the feeling I'd get when I'd see one of my posts quoted by someone else, it was so cool. (Unless they were quoting me to tear down my point! But even then, at least it was an acknowledgment!! :D)

I was going to write exactly this, but prudence has done it much better. :)

<snip> after reading a lot of old and long threads on this forum, I came to realize that some discussions are still relevant after years and people will suddenly appear and add up to the conversation.

So I'm sometimes contributing to quite old stuff and maybe that can sparkle a new interest in that subject. Or I dedicate a lot of my time transcribing the work I've done while studying some decks, even if no one ever responds to it. It might be useful eventually for new members or old ones that might discover an interest in that deck!

And please do not stop doing it. I have seen new posts revive long dead discussions, and even if they don't, like you said, reading old threads here is many times a very enlightening experience.

Barleywine

Really ? Where ? I know you can see THREAD views, but post views ?

Ah, good point. I was thinking of the OP for a thread, not all of the other posters. I should have said "thread," not "post."