Poll - what do you really want in a pre-order offer for BBCats' tarot?

What would you like the BBCats' Tarot pre-order offer to be?

• the biggest discount possible

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • no discount but free shipping

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • smaller or no discount and free print

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • smaller or no discount and free pack of postcards

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • smaller or no discount and free pack of greetings cards

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Quantity discount, like "buy two (or three) get one free" (inspired by supermarkets, this one!)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Discount, you are going to DISCOUNT them?!

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Something different from these - please suggest

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

HudsonGray

Oh sure, Laura, be all noble & everything. ;)

Would there be an option of alternate cat art?

baba-prague

This is an interesting question. You know, on Prague we had a lot of "leftover" images - things we really wanted to include (or sometimes cards that were 80-90% done) but that didn't get in. On the Baroque Bohemian Cats there are far fewer of these. It's mainly because each of these cards is technically quite a lot more difficult than anything we've done before. We have to make the costume (or make it up out of parts we have), dress and pose the model, photograph it, find backgrounds and props etc etc... so if something doesn't feel right we stop very early on. We DO have a large number of reject sketches, but they look really rough.

I do like the idea of the postcards being in some way unique though. Maybe we can also include some shots from the forthcoming picture book? Which is based on the cards and very much set in the same world. but is also in many ways different.

To produce six whole new pictures specially for the postcards would probably be an enormous amount of work. We are already a bit stunned at how many hours this deck has taken. I will add it up at the end, but I'm guessing it's at least as many as Prague, and that was around 4000 hours of work (I know I've said that before). But some unique shots from the book would be more feasible.

We want postcards to be large and glossy too - more like the real art cards you can buy. If affordable, I'd love some gold ink too (not foil, but semi-matt antique gold ink).

Ah well, we'll see!

jema

I want a cat in a fancy costume;-)

But a discount is good too :p

baba-prague

No cats in costumes - sadly. (honestly, if Ihad time I would be making dolls - maybe I should get together with Hudson on this?)

I have now put up a pre-order offer based on the responses. Thank-you so much! We have combined a discount with a quantity "free deck" - so it is a really good deal.

http://www.bohemian-cats.com/order.html

BUT, we will stop offering this in June before we publish, as it will otherwise undercut our retailers by too much, which would be unfair.

mercenary30

I voted for the free print, although any of those options would be fine.

What I REALLY would like is to have it hand delivered by the creators so I can meet them in person and shake their hand!!!!

A North American Tour of Baba Studios!!!!!

I can set you up at all the bookstore around here!!!!

Oh, well. I can dream can't I, after all I am a member of the Dream Circle......... :)

Dark_angel

I'm so excited! I'll be putting my name down for a copy (just one, though - I can't really afford to buy any decks right now, but I HAVE to have this one)!

:)

baba-prague

mercenary30 said:
I voted for the free print, although any of those options would be fine.

What I REALLY would like is to have it hand delivered by the creators so I can meet them in person and shake their hand!!!!

A North American Tour of Baba Studios!!!!!

I can set you up at all the bookstore around here!!!!

Oh, well. I can dream can't I, after all I am a member of the Dream Circle......... :)

I think we will do some sort of offer on prints or postcards a little later. We decided that it might be terribly confusing to make the options too complex (and for us too!) plus we haven't quite figured out how long it will take to make prints (we are keeping the files at very high resolution so we don't have to do extra work on them to produce prints - but still not sure how long it will take. So far we have only "properly" printed a small Magician.)

So - we would love to get to the US. There is just a chance that we might do a trip to San Francisco for a tarot event in the autumn, but nothing sorted as yet. It would be good (edited to say, no it would be GREAT) though... maybe we should join Dream Circle too?

MuffinTops

If you eventually offer prints, I would buy one, have it framed, and hang it in my house as I am in the process of redecorating (in the style of this deck!!)

HudsonGray

You know, as an option to dolls, something which can be printed so it won't take time off your hands, is to do a life size (or smaller) stand up cutout of one of the cats.

Hmmm..........having your very own Baroque Bohemian Cat for the bookshelf.....high res, good color, etc. If not life size, then 8" tall would be just as good. Card stock stuck to foam core with a back flap for standing, that kind of thing.

baba-prague

have you been in this studio recently!?

Well, we just did them very roughly for the sketches for the picture book cover, but we liked them so much that they ended up on the bookshelf!

I know you have in mind something larger and more lavish, but isn't it odd that we have these sitting here? Great minds...

Actually, I really hadn't thought much about anyone wanting these just as decorations, but in fact we love ours, so maybe?

(warning, very poor quality photo follows!)

Attachments

• cat book shelf.jpg
    cat book shelf.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 72