Poll: Which deck from Magic Realist Press is your favourite?

Which deck from Magic Realist Press is your favourite?

• Tarot of Prague

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Baroque Bohemian Cats' Tarot

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • Fairytale Tarot

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Fantastic Menagerie Tarot

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Victorian Romantic Tarot

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Bohemian Gothic Tarot

Votes: 35 29.7%

• Total voters

RunningWild

I'm with those that had a hard time making a decision. I have three: Victorian Romantic, Bohemian Gothic, and BB Cats. I voted for the BoGo but only because it's my most recent acquisition.

bleubohemian

Bohemian Gothic

I am in love with the 2nd edition! The cardstock makes me happy. I gifted my first edition set after receiving it!

Cocobird55

The Victorian Romantic has been my favorite deck of all decks since it first came out.

Nica

I cast my vote in for the Tarot of Prague. I intend it to be for the second edition. Even though I have both 1st and 2nd Edition, I feel there is something very special about those blue backs. I like the card stock in both decks. Forgetting physical specs, this deck has humor to it and it speaks to me with an authoritative tone at times. I think it is a deck as magical as the city, and I am sure Baba Studio would agree on that. I feel like this deck takes on a life of its own in readings.

It was really hard not to choose Bohemian Gothic Tarot. I own all 3 editions, starting with the Silver Limited Edition, continuing with two pewter copies, and ending with two standard 3rd editions. I find that my favorite is the 3rd edition because of the clarity in the images and that wonderful card stock. It's so good! However, that Silver Limited Edition is haunting. It reminds me of negatives in photography, and those creepy Victorian photographs brought to life. It is a world in which time doesn't really pass, and these beings float in and out of sight. They're really, really magical as well.

The Victorian Romantic has merit all of its own, it seems to be the one people tend to resonate with the most. I find it beautiful, but can only read with it in winter time. That's when I feel it really speaks to me.

I think this poll might change dramatically when the Alice comes out...

It's a good observation, but honestly I think it would change radically because of hype. You would have to allow a 1-2 year grace period to see how many people are still as in love with it as when it came out. This last tarot deck has had a lot of love put into it, and will undoubtedly be special... But all their tarot decks are labors of love. : )

HuskyChariot

To my own surprise I voted Victorian Romantic.

I you had asked me and I had no time to think, I would have blurted out "Bohemian Gothic of course!" BUT the fact is...

1) VR was the first deck I wanted out of every deck on the planet after my first mass googling in the online tarot world.
2) I use the VR far more often than the BoGo (I have to be in a candle lit, rain outside, cosy dark mood for BoGo)
3) A mini VR follows me everywhere I go and when the mini BoGo came out, it did not replace the VR in my bag

So I guess what this poll has taught me is that, in my collection, the VR is the under-appreciated work horse... will have to give it more love :)

Dan S

It's the Victorian Romantic tarot for me as well. It's the deck that got me interested in tarot again, and it's the deck that I still feel most comfortable using when reading for my friends. I love the atmosphere of the Bohemian Gothic tarot...it gives me such a thrill to look at the cards and imagine the world it inhabits, so maybe in the future it will feel on par with the VR, but I haven't really found the confidence yet to introduce it to friends. As of now I use it for myself only. (I must say I love reading blog posts about the BG deck from Le Fanu, Nica, and others, as well as the threads devoted to it here on AT.)

If I were to rank editions of Baba decks that I find the most beautiful, it would be 1) VR Gold, and 2) BG Silver, 3) Fantastic Menagerie.

Ballerina

Hi, it's the 1st edition Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot that is probably my very favorite. It is so gloriously BAROQUE and over the top. Unlike a lot of people I really like the detailed borders. And of course, I am a cat person through and through.

All this being said however, I find beauty in all their decks and they all speak to me. I do hope that Alice isn't really their last.

weaver

Hands down, 2nd edition Tarot of Prague. Love it! It is my good for all reasons and seasons deck.

Gulliver

At this moment the Victorian Romantic Tarot has the edge over the Bohemian Gothic. But it's so close, that it's not possible to say if the VicRom or the BoHoGo is more loved generally. The same with the Fantastic Menagerie, the BBC and the Tarot of Prague. Very interesting. We'll see, I like to look at this poll. :)

Nica

At this moment the Victorian Romantic Tarot has the edge over the Bohemian Gothic. But it's so close, that it's not possible to say if the VicRom or the BoHoGo is more loved generally. The same with the Fantastic Menagerie, the BBC and the Tarot of Prague. Very interesting. We'll see, I like to look at this poll. :)

Which brings me to the question of what it is about the Fairytale Tarot that people aren't resonating with. Is it the fact is isn't very accessible anymore, or rather just because the theme and chosen images don't incite the same passion as VR or BG?