Polygot tarotist?

magpie9

I Tarocchi di Alan designed by A. Orell, seems to be sponsored or commisioned by something called " Modiano".

I got this wonderful deck on ebay. The artwork is in the Art Neuveou style, and it is seriously beautiful!! It has plain playing cards for a minor, King Queen Jack and Knave for each suit, and each suit seems to be associated with a different country. (Egypt, Spain, turkey and Japan.)

It has a 22 card major, but it's not the same old major, let alone numbered the same old way...so it turns out I can't fake my way through the deck based on the pictures and experience and dumb luck. And the LWB is in Italian. I can't even say I can't speak Italian in Italian!! He**, I can't even curse in Italian, and I can curse in 5 languages!! (priorities, priorities...) The Italian is just close enough to Spanish, which I can stumble around in, to be terribly frustrating...AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH

I need a polygot taroist, who is willing to (Pleeeeeze) translate just the keywords in the LWB, so I can do more with this deck than just admire it.

So. Is there a willing Polygot Tarotist in the house?

fyreflye

Judging from the scans http://www.trigono.com/tarots/TA04MOAO.htm
this deck was designed for playing the game of Tarrocci rather than for divination. Instead of a polyglot you need a copy of Michael Dummett's The Game of Tarot, long out of print but findable through an inter-library loan. I borrowed my copy from the Mill Valley (CA) library.

magpie9

Thanks for finding the scans, fyreflye. I will keep an eye out for the book...or other source of gaming instructions. I am such a total hermit that I would have a very very hard time finding even 3 more people to play cards with. I've given up trying to play cards with my cats, they cheat and tend to knaw the card corners and are terrible at partners games. On top of that they are very sore losers. :(

It did say under the scans that the deck was meant for divination too, with a divinatory meaning given for each card in the LWB. So, sadly, I still need a translation.

Edited to add:
I only need the keywords for the majors, and not even all of them. I can read the minors like plying cards or pips.

firemaiden

I think I qualify as polyglot. :) How may I be of service?

magpie9

Perhaps I could post or pm you the keyword/ or even a sentence here and there of the ones that are entirely baffling? It would be a great help. I could put together a list of the really hard bits, and you could get back to me with the translations however/whenever you'd like.

And I would owe you a really huge great big one, to be paid off in some as yet unknown way. How's that for a deal with virtually nothing in it for you?

firemaiden

Post a list of the keywords here, and other sentences here.
I will translate what I can.
If there are any questions, others probably can help.

magpie9

thank you a million, firemaiden. I hope it is ok with you if I wait to do so tommorrow, when my brain is in working order again. I have to sleep or keel over in my tracks, right now. :D

magpie9

I'm back with the first few. I don't need exact translations, just a general idea of what they're saying would be great. :)

"Il Bagatto" (pix dancer) (#I in scan)

La Navigazione (pix ship)
--"contanza" "raggiungers" "facilamente" (easy?)

La Suonatrice ( pix dancing geisha)
--"serenita" "consiguenza" "o anche di potare terreno"

Il Drago Guardiano (pix far eastern temple with gold carved dragon)(#V in scan)
--"pace nella famiglia" "soddisfazione nel lavoro"

La Sfinge (pix the egyptian sphinx in desert with a pyamid)
--"della sicurezza e della fedelta"

La Lotta (pix 2 sumo wrestlers)
--"nello stresso tempo,la sicurezza della vittoria."

Il Cantastorie (pix male singer)
--Rx--"sentenza giurdica o morale negitiva" (pix asian dance masks)

Many thanks in advance for any help with these--

firemaiden

"Il Bagatto" (pix dancer) (#I in scan)
Il Bagatto is the Italian word for Le Bateleur, or The FOOL

La Navigazione (pix ship)
--"contanza" "raggiungers" "facilamente" (easy?)
"constanza = "constancy" = faithfulness.

facilmente = easily
raggiungere = to come together.
La Suonatrice ( pix dancing geisha)
--"serenita" "consiguenza" "o anche di potare terreno"
La Suonatrice = the (female) musician, "she who makes music"
"o anche di potare terreno" = check the spelling -- did it say "o anche di potere tenere" ? (= "also being able to hold on")
serenita = serenity, peace, tranquility,
consiguenza = consequence

Il Drago Guardiano (pix far eastern temple with gold carved dragon)(#V in scan)

--"pace nella famiglia" "soddisfazione nel lavoro"

Il Drago Guardiano - The Dragon guardian
pace nella famiglia --peace in the family
soddisfazione nel lavoro =satisfaction at work
La Sfinge (pix the egyptian sphinx in desert with a pyamid)
--"della sicurezza e della fedelta"

La Sfinge = the Sphinx
"della sicurezza e della fedelta" = security and fidelity

La Lotta (pix 2 sumo wrestlers)
--"nello stresso tempo,la sicurezza della vittoria."
La Lotta =The Fight
"nello stesso tempo, la sicurezza della vittoria = at the same time, confidence of victory

Il Cantastorie (pix male singer)
--Rx--"sentenza giurdica o morale negitiva" (pix asian dance masks)

(I don't know what Il Cantastorie is, sorry...)
"sentenza giuridica o morale negitiva" = a court judgment (sentence) or bad morale

Savoyali

Il Cantastorie

A Cantastorie is a ballad-monger, which would be a type of minstrel, I think? canta = he sings, storie = stories :)