Practical tips for developing non-existent psychic ability?

nara123

The best tip I can give in developing your "gifts" is to be "open". Messages come through ALL the senses. And it doesn't matter if you are meditating, scrying, reading the runes, cards, etc. be open to receiving those messages. What this means is....if you are meditating and you suddenly smell perfume do not discount the smell because it wasn't an image in your mind. If you're scrying and a song suddenly pops in your head...do not discount the song because it wasn't an image on the mirror.
Hi,

I have been lurking on this site for awhile, and I too would life to develop my intuitive abilities, especially as it does not come natural. I wanted to say that this was a useful to me as I have started scrying and I usually see things in my minds eye or hear things without seeing it in the glass/crystal. I have to admit I was astounded and awed at the people on the scrying thread who can see things in their crystals. I kept wondering if I was doing it wrong and kept google searching, why I heard and saw things in my minds eye and was beginning to feel that it really was just my imagination. it is really hard to trust yourself and I am struggling to differentiate if it is really an intuitive message or just my imagination.

Thanks for the message and I hope that OP has more confidence and is doing well.

celticnoodle

oops. already posted in here - and was about to again recommend the same 3 books I did earlier.

GotH

Hi,

I have been lurking on this site for awhile, and I too would life to develop my intuitive abilities, especially as it does not come natural. I wanted to say that this was a useful to me as I have started scrying and I usually see things in my minds eye or hear things without seeing it in the glass/crystal. I have to admit I was astounded and awed at the people on the scrying thread who can see things in their crystals. I kept wondering if I was doing it wrong and kept google searching, why I heard and saw things in my minds eye and was beginning to feel that it really was just my imagination. it is really hard to trust yourself and I am struggling to differentiate if it is really an intuitive message or just my imagination.

Thanks for the message and I hope that OP has more confidence and is doing well.
I know exactly what you mean and that's why I love to practice as much as I can by opening up those kinds of threads. I feel that our intuition is like any muscle in our body. If you don't use it, it shrinks and gets flabby. ;) But... It's also like riding a bike. You don't forget how, you just get a little wobbly when you get back on after awhile of not doing it.

I encourage you to come over to the Scry Exchange and have a go at it sometime. Just find something you feel you'd enjoy using to strengthen your intuition with and post what you see after a session. It's fun and not to be taken seriously. :) If something does turn out to be a hit, then awesome! But if not, that's okay too. Just posting images that you see is a start..

Good luck!

SweetSiren

I'm not so sure guessing the time is a good suggestion, as it's probably a false lead. We've had decades of training ourselves on time and I wouldn't doubt that's more of a biological hit and less of a psychic one. Our bodies know things our logic minds don't, but that doesn't make it psychic. I would see it as a way to build more trust with your hunches. Because that's really important!
Having said that, I would tell you to pay attention to dreams. Don't dissect them, just give them extra attention. Write them down, tell them to someone. I've noticed that dreams that really jump out at me as strange, ones that I normally don't have, usually have some aspect in them that happen later. However, I wouldn't have noticed this if I didn't start paying extra attention to them in the first place. No one believes me and my strange dreams. They always chalk it up to coincidence and selective memory. But the details are always so uncanny. I haven't always been this way. This has been the collective effort (or special attention) of a couple years.
I haven't quite been able to translate this into everyday psychic ability, but it is teaching me the nature of my hunches, which is pretty important. I also realize I have a lot of emotional blockages. I'll have a really dramatic, heartfelt dream that drains me, and I think those emotions are part of the message... but they never, never, never are. The message never has any emotion and is always, in my opinion, mundane in its real world presentation. So yes, you absolutely cannot take it seriously, otherwise you derive false information.

Not sure if I have any valid advice, but some hope for you. The dream thing might just be my personal way, and not for everyone.

nara123

I know exactly what you mean and that's why I love to practice as much as I can by opening up those kinds of threads. I feel that our intuition is like any muscle in our body. If you don't use it, it shrinks and gets flabby. ;) But... It's also like riding a bike. You don't forget how, you just get a little wobbly when you get back on after awhile of not doing it.

I encourage you to come over to the Scry Exchange and have a go at it sometime. Just find something you feel you'd enjoy using to strengthen your intuition with and post what you see after a session. It's fun and not to be taken seriously. :) If something does turn out to be a hit, then awesome! But if not, that's okay too. Just posting images that you see is a start..

Good luck!

I lurk at the scry exchange and you and a few others are quite adept at this skill. Actually phenomenal in fact. I am nowhere in that league, so I will continue to practice on my own. But I enjoy reading the exchange and marvel at the accuracy and the fact that you can see images in your crystals. As I said, they are more what is in my mind, which is sometimes self generated, wishful thinking. I will say that the images that are independent of my imagination have been animals. A crow, a crow woman, magpies, ravens, a panda and a polar bear, have been the most vivid so far. And the birds and crow woman I usually hear the "caw caw". they are very loud. Still, I hope to one day see images in a crystal as well.

One thing I have started to notice is that if I concentrate and meditate for awhile, my body starts to sway rather rhythmically and at times I have to force myself to stop. I think that I am on some level tuning in vibrationally. Another thing I have noticed that if I am in a sad mood, the lead glass/crystal that I use tends to amplify those feelings--it is in a sense reflecting back what I am feeling and it can be overwhelming.

Of course I sincerely thank you so much for the response and the encouragement. I do think scrying is a tool that I am going to continue to cultivate. If nothing else, it will be a awhile to help me to strengthen my meditation. Thanks again for the encouragement.

nara123

Having said that, I would tell you to pay attention to dreams. Don't dissect them, just give them extra attention. Write them down, tell them to someone. I've noticed that dreams that really jump out at me as strange, ones that I normally don't have, usually have some aspect in them that happen later. However, I wouldn't have noticed this if I didn't start paying extra attention to them in the first place. No one believes me and my strange dreams. They always chalk it up to coincidence and selective memory. But the details are always so uncanny. I haven't always been this way. This has been the collective effort (or special attention) of a couple years.
I haven't quite been able to translate this into everyday psychic ability, but it is teaching me the nature of my hunches, which is pretty important. I also realize I have a lot of emotional blockages. I'll have a really dramatic, heartfelt dream that drains me, and I think those emotions are part of the message... but they never, never, never are. The message never has any emotion and is always, in my opinion, mundane in its real world presentation. So yes, you absolutely cannot take it seriously, otherwise you derive false information.

Not sure if I have any valid advice, but some hope for you. The dream thing might just be my personal way, and not for everyone.

This is starting to be true of me as well.

I have been using a dream journal more proactively and constructively in the last few weeks in tandem with scrying, meditating (rather badly), and of course tarot. Because of this shift, I am able to remember a little more of my dreams and they usually have significance, if only they are reviewing my day or wish fulfillment. Even if I don't remember all my dreams, I am finding out that I have been dreaming and it is very, very active.

headincloud

Hello, this thread may be helpful but psychic ability usually develops over years rather than wks I believe it's a pretty long haul for most. I would suggest exploring and practising all the different methods of divination because they're all meditative acts in themselves. You could also try exploring all the different styles of meditation until you find one you sit comfortably with perhaps walking meditation would suit you better if you're struggling or perhaps candle mediation or learning tai chi or yoga, group meditation is a fast track route.

I felt like you about meditation but something will click one day and you'll 'get it' if you persevere. What we're learning when we meditate is breath control which allows access to altered states - daydream states, think of the ballerina for example although any form of dance and movement can take us there. If we choose a static form then aligning the breath with the rhythm of a drum beat or music of your choice is key though some meditate in silence which takes me twice as long. Chanting, singing or recitation affects the rhythm of the breath which is why monks chant and we sing in church, playing a woodwind instrument will also get us there but each to their own, best of luck :)

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3898665&highlight=educational+post#post3898665

Halloween

Have faith and confidence in urself and the universe. This is key.

Mr. Woolery

I have come to believe that psychic ability is really a matter of awareness rather than a mental muscle. Some of what may seem psychic is really a matter of picking up on cues that most ignore, while sometimes there is really no other explanation for knowing something. What I am about to type all comes from that perspective.

Meditation works for some better than for others. I prefer to think of it as passive observation. Find a nice place to be. Set a timer and make a deliberate choice that you are going to sit comfortably in that nice place for, say, 15 minutes. Just enjoy being there. Eyes open, sitting in a chair or on the lawn or whatever. The goal is being in the moment, not thinking about what you will do later. One thing you can do is think of every sensation as a gift and accept each as such. "A gentle breeze on my left cheek. Thank you. The sound of leaves in the breeze. Thank you. Birdsong audible in spite of traffic noise. Thank you. Cars and trucks taking people where they want to go. Thank you." And so on.

When your timer goes off, get out a journal (cheap notebook works fine) and write down the most interesting things you remember. Do not think back to all the things you noticed and were grateful for. Absolutely do not try to make a mental list. Instead, write down a few things as they pop into your head. Some may even be things you did not see, hear, or smell. That's okay.

Do this as often as you feel like. This is an approach to meditation that works for some people and not for others. The point is to learn to notice the world better. That's it.

Another thing you can do is take a pad of paper and a book you have not read. Stick a bookmark anywhere in the book without looking. Draw a picture in 30 seconds or less. Don't think about it, just start making marks until things start to look like something. It may even help to use your non-dominant hand at first and do it without looking. After half a minute or when you think you are done, whichever comes first, open the book and start reading. Does what you drew make any sense in terms of what you reading? If not directly, can you make a connection between what you drew and what you are reading?

This is one way to find connections between one thing and another. And isn't that the whole point to developing psychic abilities? And finding connections will help with intuitive understanding as you do readings.

-Patrick

nara123

I have come to believe that psychic ability is really a matter of awareness rather than a mental muscle. Some of what may seem psychic is really a matter of picking up on cues that most ignore, while sometimes there is really no other explanation for knowing something. What I am about to type all comes from that perspective.

Meditation works for some better than for others. I prefer to think of it as passive observation. Find a nice place to be. Set a timer and make a deliberate choice that you are going to sit comfortably in that nice place for, say, 15 minutes. Just enjoy being there. Eyes open, sitting in a chair or on the lawn or whatever. The goal is being in the moment, not thinking about what you will do later. One thing you can do is think of every sensation as a gift and accept each as such. "A gentle breeze on my left cheek. Thank you. The sound of leaves in the breeze. Thank you. Birdsong audible in spite of traffic noise. Thank you. Cars and trucks taking people where they want to go. Thank you." And so on.

When your timer goes off, get out a journal (cheap notebook works fine) and write down the most interesting things you remember. Do not think back to all the things you noticed and were grateful for. Absolutely do not try to make a mental list. Instead, write down a few things as they pop into your head. Some may even be things you did not see, hear, or smell. That's okay.

Do this as often as you feel like. This is an approach to meditation that works for some people and not for others. The point is to learn to notice the world better. That's it.

Another thing you can do is take a pad of paper and a book you have not read. Stick a bookmark anywhere in the book without looking. Draw a picture in 30 seconds or less. Don't think about it, just start making marks until things start to look like something. It may even help to use your non-dominant hand at first and do it without looking. After half a minute or when you think you are done, whichever comes first, open the book and start reading. Does what you drew make any sense in terms of what you reading? If not directly, can you make a connection between what you drew and what you are reading?

This is one way to find connections between one thing and another. And isn't that the whole point to developing psychic abilities? And finding connections will help with intuitive understanding as you do readings.

-Patrick
Thank you this is very helpful. For those of us who just don't have a natural facility with this trait, I am really starting to believe that guided imagery, creative visualization, "passive observation" and some form of meditation are the best tools available to enhance extra perception. I also believe that deploying our imagination and our human need to see patterns in our world is also a great stimulus as well. It doesn't have the fireworks of other forms, but with practice, it will probably stimulate a greater sense of awareness. Several of the books that I have read have come from naturally gifted people, or those who have created a useful hack to enhance ability that they may have suspected they had as children or it runs in their family.

In any case, being aware of the world as you have noted is sage advice. Thanks